• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

hard disk at 100%

Since a few days Norton Internet Security Version 22.6.0.142 is using up the hard disk with read/write to a 100% making it nearly impossible to use the computer.

I have done a Live Update to get possible productupdates which helped yesterday but not today.

I used to be an Norton user like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: hard disk at 100%

Did this change since you updated Norton to the 22.6 version?

It could also be some physical issue with your hard drive. To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Peter

Does upgrading like that trigger a full system scan of all files that doesn't get done normally -- just any that are new or have changed?

It would seem to make sense if it did and might account for the activity?

FWIW

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello Hugh

No, it isn't like an upgrade from version 22.5 to 23.  That would cause a full system scan or if you are just installing the program for the first time or installing it as a new install. A normal update from version 22.5.5.15 to 22.6.0.142 doesn't cause a full system scan that has to be done when you first install it.

There were a whole bunch of windows updates though that made changes to Windows and they all have to be scanned as well as updates to Skype, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player and probably more updates that I don't know about or can't think of now that have to be scanned within the past few days.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

flo

Thanks -- I knew about the Windows update. I was offered 14 but I've only installed the one that updates Windows Updater itself and want to see if it changes the list -- but it takes a long time to recheck for updates

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello Hugh

That's one that I didn't install because it has to do with Windows 10 I think and I don't have any plans of updating to that for a while if ever. If I can get a new computer, then maybe since I probably would have no choice. I think this computer is good enough with what I do with it. This one was made for me in Aug 2013 so it's going on 3 years. I have had a hard drive replaced though under warranty so far and a thing where my head phone is plugged in and my external hard drive is plugged into it. They sent me a new one and gave my son instructions on how to replace it. I do have in home repair, but it didn't pay for them to send someone to just replace that thing.

What I do need is a larger SSD drive. I should have got a larger one when this computer was built for me. It's in the red now and I haven't installed all the windows updates....

Thanks

flo

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Thanks everyone for your Input.

I was eligable to upgrade to Norton Security which seems to solve the problem.

Thumps up for the Norton Support.

I used to be an Norton user like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.
Kudos0

flo

That's one that I didn't install because it has to do with Windows 10 I think ...

I checked the KB it refers to and:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612 

Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016

This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

It does require you have Windows 7 SP1. 

Check Amazon and Newegg but larger SSD's are much cheaper these days. Like $150 for 500GB or $65 for 250GB ...

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello Hugh

I think my computer is still under warranty, so we can't just go out and get another hard drive. I guess I should send them an email and see if they can send me another larger hard drive without breaking my warranty. I don't want to have to send my computer to Virginia to get a larger hard drive put in. My son could probably do it, but I guess we will have to see.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Well worth asking them rather than be hemmed in by shortage of space. You can keep the former SSD main drive as a second hard drive for storage space -- I forget if it's a desktop or a laptop; probably a desktop so plenty of room for extra drives ..... or even better put it in an inexpensive external case with USB connection as an external file for backing up important stuff.

How large is it? 125GB ?

There's even free imaging software that would enable you to clone the current OS and applications from the present small drive to a larger one so you would not even have to have them reinstall Windows and then you reinstall your applications and other files.

Hugh
Kudos0

I think we got off topic.

Kudos0

I think the question is:  My C: (SSD) drive (40BG) is consumed entirely by bloated Windows OS7.  How can I get the Norton 360 virus definitions and other variable files to live on a drive other than C:?

Thanks

Kudos0

Hello

You can put the N360 program onto a pen drive and then move it to another drive. It should pick up that it was moved to a different drive.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Tim

I think the question is:  My C: (SSD) drive (40BG) is consumed entirely by bloated Windows OS7.

Unless this is a locked into the device eMMC drive, you can buy larger SSD drives for very little these days. I've seen 120GB for abut $40 and 240 GB for under $70.

40GB really is impossibly small for Windows 7 in practice. My last clean installation with no added applications was around 20GB and you need "empty" space for stuff to swap and work in. 

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.