• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Have Norton 360 on two PCs can the thrid license be on a Mac book?

I am looking at replacing an older Dell with a MAC laptop.  Can I remove the license from the Dell and install on the MAC or must I purchase a license just for the MAC?

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Have Norton 360 on two PCs can the thrid license be on a Mac book?

Mac's do not need antivirus protection. That is the beauty of them. I wife is a graphic designer and uses nothing but Mac's. She has her Macbook Pro, Mac desktop and her work Mac (at work). None have any sort of antivirus running. Her work has over 1000 Mac's with no antivirus running either. Back to your question. How many user license did you purchase? 2? 3? 5? You would need to call Norton and ask them if the license could be transferred. You can uninstall Norton from your old Dell. Then go into your Norton account and remove that older Dell. But honestly I would not even install Norton on your new Mac. 

Kudos3 Stats

FJR:

I am looking at replacing an older Dell with a MAC laptop.  Can I remove the license from the Dell and install on the MAC or must I purchase a license just for the MAC?

Hi FJR:

Not unless you purchased a subscription for Norton 360 Multi-Device.  Most older product lines like Norton Internet Security, Norton 360 and Norton 360 Premier come with a 3-PC license, which means you can only use your available installation seats on a Windows PC.

Newer products like Norton Security (NS) Deluxe (3 or 5 devices) and Norton Security Premium (10 devices with online backup) are multi-device, meaning they can be installed on multiple PCs, Mac, smartphones, and tablets with a single subscription.  See the support article Comparison between the various Norton products and their features for product comparison chart of all supported Norton products, including your N360.

I would suggest contacting Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat and see what they suggest.  Depending on the number of days you have remaining on your current N360 subscription, it might make sense to purchase Norton Security Deluxe or Norton Security Premium when your current N360 subscription expires, upgrade your Windows PCs from N360 to NS, and then use one of your available NS seats when you purchase your Mac.  If you don't want to wait that long, it wouldn't hurt to ask Norton Customer Service if it would be possible to swap out your current N360 license for a comparable NS license.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0.2 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Thank you, I will contact Norton Support this afternoon.  I am 25 days from renewal.

Kudos0

I often thought the Mac's did not have the issues PC's have.  it's good to know that this is true.  Thanks for the input.

Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:

Mac's do not need antivirus protection.

Hi FJR:

Just further to PatSoxBruins' comment, Matt Egan recently posted an article on the PC Advisor site titled Do Apple Macs need antivirus? Do Macs get viruses? Mac security explained - How to secure an Apple Mac that discusses some of the pros and cons of installing an antivirus on a Mac.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0.2 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Kudos0

Hello FJR

This thread has gone off topic. A discussion of whether or not a MAC needs an antivirus program should be in the Outpost Tech Board.  A MAC can not be used with a N360 license. N360 is only for Windows computers. Sorry.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos3 Stats

How is a discussion of the advisability of running security software on Macs off-topic in a thread that asks about putting a Norton product on a Mac?  It certainly would seem relevant to the question being asked here.  As lmacri stated clearly, newer Norton products are cross-platform and can be installed on Macs as well as PCs, so what's not to discuss?

I think it used to be pretty much accepted that AV protection was not critical on a Mac, both because the operating system was somewhat harder to compromise than Windows, and there were not that many viruses targeting Apple computers due to their much smaller market share.  Things have changed as Macs have gained popularity and it has become more profitable to tailor malware for them.  So, while the subject is still open to debate, it certainly seems more reasonable and prudent these days to run an AV program on a Mac than it might have been in the past.

Kudos0

Hello

Question asked :  Have Norton 360 on two PCs can the thrid license be on a Mac book?

The simple answer is no,  it cannot be used on a license for N360.  [Edit]

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.