Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!
Help to ensure working protection of the product
I noticed recently that when I did not manually "liveupdate"d my product for three months, it did not update itself either.
Though it kept occasionally displaying a small prompt at the bottom of the windows desktop that definitions are out of date.
Though the "automatic" portion of liveupdate is not that much of a concern for me, but what is scaring me is the possibility of the infections-defending portion of the product not being functional. I tried a reinstall of the product, but it still works the same (over a couple of days no ''automatic"" live update, though used the internet actively. However, no prompt of an out of date definitions displayed either).
Actually the eerie part is that the product otherwise appears to be working perfectly at least from the user interaction perspective. And I do not "yet" know how many threats are slipping past it without me getting a slightest hint!
The following reporting areas of the norton 360 user interface, that I could think of consulting, have been seen and no error appears to be reported there.
- The opening screen shows green colored you are protected with the protection updates dated two days prior (when I ran liveupdate) and Last scan date as 1 day ago.
- The 30 day report says System status: live udpate: up to date. The bottom subscription status line correctly shows the number of days of subscription remaining.
- The quick controls (from the settings menu) mentions automatic live update is selected.
- The advanced button on the security tab says the settings for auto protect, sonar, firewall, intrusion prevention etc. are all on (green).
- Below is the autofix error report (generated using Get support on the help menu at the top):
Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)
The assuring part is that though I am no expert at detecting an infected system or spotting a trojan file, but I have not yet found any suspicious or unknown file in my system nor do I seem to be experiencing any degraded system performance. Thus it seems to me that my system is not yet infected. But then again, rather than blindly assuming that even though the automatic liveupdate is defective, the protection portion of my norton product is still functioning correctly, there is another potential factor that may instead be ensuring the cleanliness of the system. The contributing factor could be instead my current web needs being limited to venturing only a handful and very known websites (like wikipedia.org, live.com etc) and not yet needing to trudge the darker portions of the web.
Now, my web surfing zones may change to dangerous areas without me realizing, the same way that I may not be realizing that my system may already have some latent infection. I am now considering to start making transactions on e-commerce websites and hence security has become important.
So I request your help in:
1. Suggesting me a way to find out if defending protions of my product is indeed actively defending from infections
2. Any fix for the missing automatic portion of the live update funcitonality
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.