I was reading THIS POST on Symantec Connect and user cjm found a solution to activate SSR 2013 in Windows 10. I just made a couple of adjustments and tried Ghost 15 in Windows 8.1. It worked! I edited his instructions for Ghost 15. This is at your own risk. Ghost is outdated and I personally would not feel comfortable using a backup software that is not designed for the OS you are backing up!
- Open the services control panel (View local services control panel)
- Find "
Symantec System Recovery" "Norton Ghost" and open the properties
- Change startup type to Disabled and click apply
- Click Stop
- Open a windows explorer and navigate to the install directory (for me it was
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Agent"C:\Program Files (x86) \Norton Ghost\Agent")
- Right click on VProSvc.exe and select properties
- Change to the Compatibility tab
- Click "Change settings for all users"
- Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- Change the compatibility mode drop down to "
- Click OK
- Click OK again to close the properties
- Go back to Services and open "
Symantec System Recovery" "Norton Ghost" properties again
- Change startup type back to Automatic and click apply
- Click Start
- Close the service properties