• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How and Why did Version 20.1.0.24 install itself without my permission?

I logged onto my pc this evening to find that things look different with Norton Security Suite. I looked at my programs to find that it was installed today!!  I cannot comprehend how this happened as it was off all day and not online..I have had Norton installed for a long time before today and it doesn't look like this...Have I been hacked? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How and Why did Version 20.1.0.24 install itself without my permission?

I logged onto my pc this evening to find that things look different with Norton Security Suite. I looked at my programs to find that it was installed today!!  I cannot comprehend how this happened as it was off all day and not online..I have had Norton installed for a long time before today and it doesn't look like this...Have I been hacked? 

Kudos0

<< I logged onto my pc this evening to find that things look different with Norton Security Suite.  >>

Could you confirm whether that is the exact product you have and not Norton Internet Security?

Norton Security Suite is a version of Norton 360 that is distributed free by COMCAST and perhaps some other ISPs to their customers and it's handled in the Norton 360 Forums as well as on COMCASTs own Forum. I don't know if we know here how COMCAST handles version upgrades.

Hugh
Kudos0

ydidthishappen wrote:

Hi ydidthishappen,

It happened because there is a program going on to use "silent updates" on the Norton Security Suite.  Those old installs on NSS version 5 and version 6 are being upgraded to the newer version 20 of NSS.  The user interface has changed on the newer version and that's what you noticed. 

The silent update is done through LiveUpdate I do believ - which is automatic at or close to start up.  So it was most likely installed @ boot up this AM.

You have not been hacked and actually it is Norton doing you a favor by upgrading your system to the latest enhancements in the program.

<edit>  One more thing you need to do is run LiveUpdate (rebooting when required) until LiveUpdate responds "no updates found".  The most current version is 20.2.0.19.  The version canbe found from main page of NSS click Support > About.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.