• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How can I prevent 16.7 from downloading to my system?

I don't want to be a 16.7 beta tester. How can I prevent it from downloading to my system? I have NIS09.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How can I prevent 16.7 from downloading to my system?

neither do I!!! they tried to release it last week and had some problems, then tried again thsi week and STILL have problems??? things are running fine for me, but i could just as easily been someone with an issue, high and dry with a new update. i'm not your lab rat, nortons!!! don't they have beta testers already???
EGADS!
Kudos0

Don't worry guys. If a new build is pushed to your machines it is out of beta and ready to use
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

we should all be woprried that were beeing used to test the software. i think nortons is great, <3 the stuff. but if i wanted to test their stuff i'd signup.
EGADS!
Kudos0

Stu wrote:
Don't worry guys. If a new build is pushed to your machines it is out of beta and ready to use
Your kidding, right?  What about all of the problems that people are reporting? I don't have the time to deal with that if it gets pushed to my laptop.  I'm starting to get disappointed with Norton.  First Safe Web stops working half the time and now this.  What happened?
Kudos0

People are reporting. But do you have any problems? If so, please post them here

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=66289&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

I'm not having any problem

Message Edited by Stu on 08-20-2009 05:53 AM
&quot;All that we are is the result of what we have thought&quot;
Kudos0

Stu wrote:

People are reporting. But do you have any problems? If so, please post them here

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=66289&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

I'm not having any problem

Message Edited by Stu on 08-20-2009 05:53 AM

The 16.7 update has not yet downloaded to my system.  I would like to keep it that way until it is more stable. I don't want to be reporting problems.  That's what beta testers do.

Kudos2 Stats

To the users on this thread.  I have just gone through the installation.  Yes there was a problem.  It was, however, a Windows problem, not a Norton problem.

If you have an XP operating system this quick fix is all you have to do to allow the removal and the installation.  If you choose complete removal, as I did, you will spend about half an hour putting your program rules back in place.

I am running the new build as we speak.

To resolve this problem, remove the read-only flag from the Branches.inf file on the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the prompt, type attrib –r %windir%\inf\branches.inf, and then press ENTER.

That was all I had to do.  I would suggest giving it an honest try. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

cool, thx for a fix. this thread is moreabout nortons using us to "try out" the patch, have us beta the patch before giving it to everyone. i dont wanna beta this stuff, its too crazy for me.
EGADS!
Kudos0

i don't want to test it eiter. i like notrons a lot but i want the software when its finished. i don't also want to be a lab rat or eat their cheese. i want to have the finished product that is actual y tested and stuff. do i have to uninstall this software to make my computer not get it? i dont want to. i tried to beta test the 2010 stuff but that was way over my head. i'll use it when its released since they actually are beta testing it right now i know the beta testers will help the notron team fined the bugs. i think that with the bugs from last week and this week, there prolly shotting in the dark.

sorry for the venting but im scared of the software right now and i want to know that it works and that i dont have to worry about this.

Kudos0

It is not a beta.  It is a version update.  There are some people that are causing a panic and everyone is getting the wrong information.  As I just posted, my problem as often happens, was a Windows issue, not Norton.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I am also back to NIS 2009 version 16.5.0.135 and I would just as soon stay there.  I had 16.7.2.10 installed and everything was working fine, until I rebooted.  After the reboot I could not access the internet, get into my mail, nor could I use One Click Support for help.  I had to call support on the telephone and they had to completely remove all Norton Products.  Then I could get back on the internet and reinstall NIS2009, Ghost and SystemWorks.  I may give the Norton/Ask Toolbar another try, in a month or so.  Maybe things will be worked out by then.   
Kudos0

This is incredible! It looks like beta to me. What with so many people having issues with  16.7.2.10, it should have been discovered in actual beta before being cast out to every user.

What I want to know is how I can get the prior version back.

As it is, I am having problems with my system and to have things further compounded with new problems while trying to troubleshoot what recent Windows updates have done to one of my applications is extremely agrivating!

By the way, branches.inf in the windows\inf folder does not show as being read only on my computer.

And, I turned off anti-spam.

I am running XP home and am current with all updates.

The text file referred to when Symantic Service Framework encountered a problem is copied below: 

Server=watson.microsoft.com

UI LCID=1033

Flags=1672018

Brand=WINDOWS

TitleName=Symantec Service Framework

DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId

ErrorText=This error occurred on 8/20/2009 at 12:14:45 AM.

HeaderText=Symantec Service Framework encountered a problem and needed to close.

Stage1URL=

Stage1URL=/StageOne/ccSvcHst_exe/108_1_1_10/msvcr80_dll/8_0_50727_3053/00014500.htm

Stage2URL=

Stage2URL=/dw/stagetwo.asp?szAppName=ccSvcHst.exe&szAppVer=108.1.1.10&szModName=msvcr80.dll&szModVer=8.0.50727.3053&offset=00014500

DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Bob\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER44cd.dir00\ccSvcHst.exe.mdmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Bob\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER44cd.dir00\appcompat.txt

Heap=C:\DOCUME~1\Bob\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER44cd.dir00\ccSvcHst.exe.hdmp

ErrorSubPath=ccSvcHst.exe\108.1.1.10\msvcr80.dll\8.0.50727.3053\00014500

DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Bob\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER44cd.dir00

Kudos0

Has this question been answered yet?

I have NAV-GE and after getting 16.7 my Norton completely shuts down. I ran the Removal Tool last night, redownloaded the trial version, and got back to 16.5. However, after running Liveupdate I receieved the dreaded 16.7 again. As a test I rebooted and again NAV shuts down.

So, are we forced to beta test this thing because of Windows 7 users or something? It looks like this may potentially affect every person who owns NAV or NIS, which is probably millions of people. I only noticed I was unprotected because I avidly watch my system tray and noticed it wasnt there, but I'm sure you know how many other users will not see it and will now be downloading viruses because of this.

It looks like until this is solved, I will be going back to 16.5 and shutting off Liveupdate completely. It'll leave me unprotected from new viruses, but not completely unprotected like I am at this very moment.

On behalf of all NAV & NIS Users: Please remove 16.7 from Liveupdate completely until the issues are fixed. Thank you.

Kudos4 Stats

The NIS 16.7.2.10 update has been removed from LiveUpdate, and will be updated and posted again after we resolve these issues.Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-22-2009 11:04 AM
Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Tony_Weiss wrote:
The NIS 16.7.2.10 update has been removed from LiveUpdate, and will be updated and posted again after we resolve these issues.Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-22-2009 11:04 AM

My apologies, after downloading the trial and obversing it install (NAVG09EN.exe) it appears that 16.7 version seems to be the default trial version for Norton Antivirus Gaming Edition on your website. Can the NAV-GE trial be fixed so that 16.5 is the default version on the Symantec website? Thanks Tony.

I found a mirror download site where NAV-GE 16.5 might still be available for now, I will try it and see how it goes.

Kudos0

I tried to follow the above link to download version 16.5.  However, after installation, NAV 2009 shows me version 16.7. Have remove and download again. Still the same version 16.7.  I think the link is only applicable only to NIS 2009.   Can someone from Symantec post the link for NAV2009 or NAV 2009 gaming edition please.  Am really tired of having to remove and install x numbers of times..
Kudos0

@ Hikari

Don't hold your breath. They're 'out to lunch'. Goodbye Norton.

Kudos0

Hikari wrote:
I tried to follow the above link to download version 16.5.  However, after installation, NAV 2009 shows me version 16.7. Have remove and download again. Still the same version 16.7.  I think the link is only applicable only to NIS 2009.   Can someone from Symantec post the link for NAV2009 or NAV 2009 gaming edition please.  Am really tired of having to remove and install x numbers of times..

I found a mirror link on another website for NAV-GE 2009 version 16.5. The trial program worked and fully updated via Liveupdate with no problem!

[edit: Please do not link to 3rd party unofficial downloads per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Message Edited by shannons on 08-22-2009 08:42 PM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.