• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How can I tell why my NIS (v.21.1.0.18) was turned off?

Hi. Last night my laptop was extremely slow to turn off. I (wrongly) assumed it was because my wife had interrupted a Microsoft update by closing the top. We tried again and it turned off but still took longer than normal.

It wouldn't boot up this morning - it seemed to start OK but then nothing so I restarted in Safe Mode and ran Microsoft Recovery.

It seems OK now (I'll run Malwarbytes soon) but when it first started NIS had been disabled.

I've sorted that but is there any way within NIS that I can find out what disabled it?

I'm going to refresh my memory on the info available within Windows to see if that throws any light on it but the last time I had any problem of this type the culprit appeared to be an NIS update!

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How can I tell why my NIS (v.21.1.0.18) was turned off?

Hi. Last night my laptop was extremely slow to turn off. I (wrongly) assumed it was because my wife had interrupted a Microsoft update by closing the top. We tried again and it turned off but still took longer than normal.

It wouldn't boot up this morning - it seemed to start OK but then nothing so I restarted in Safe Mode and ran Microsoft Recovery.

It seems OK now (I'll run Malwarbytes soon) but when it first started NIS had been disabled.

I've sorted that but is there any way within NIS that I can find out what disabled it?

I'm going to refresh my memory on the info available within Windows to see if that throws any light on it but the last time I had any problem of this type the culprit appeared to be an NIS update!

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos0

My wife has just reminded me that last night, when I logged into an important site - the UK National Lottery! - the Identity Safe was shown as having been disabled - just for that site.

Could this be linked? Does it suggest I have been compromised? How/where can I check?

Many year ago, I had to check for such a problem - a forum asked me to run a small program, it prepared a report and I had to send the report to the forum where they were able to tell if I'd been infected. I hadn't - it turned out to be a false positive. IS such help available here please?

Kudos3 Stats

Hi Taffy_078,

I will hazard a guess as to what might have happened.  First, there is a known issue with Microsoft updates on XP (now fixed, it appears) that would cause Svchost.exe to run the CPU at 100% for 15 minutes or more while looking for updates.  This may explain why the computer was slow (if you were doing updates, as you seem to indicate you were doing).  If your computer was processing new updates, it could also be slower to close than usual even if the Svchost issue did not occur.  The problem restarting the PC may be due to a problem encountered with the updating process.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say you ran "Microsoft Recovery," whether you were using System Restore, the recovery console or doing a repair installation.  But anything you might have done to revert the system or parts of it to an earlier time would almost certainly break Norton, causing it not to run.  This is not unusual because Norton is continually updating, and anything that removes the latest files will cause problems when Norton is unable to locate what it needs and expects to find.

At this point, not knowing what system changes were made, I would suggest running Microsoft Update to be sure that you reinstall any updates that might have been removed in your recovery operation.  If Norton now works, run LiveUpdate a few times to make sure that it is completely up-to-date, as well.  If you are still experiencing any issues with Norton, you will need to uninstall and reinstall it.

I don't think anything having to do with the lottery site is related to any of this.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi Taffy_078,

I will hazard a guess as to what might have happened.  First, there is a known issue with Microsoft updates on XP (now fixed, it appears) that would cause Svchost.exe to run the CPU at 100% for 15 minutes or more while looking for updates. 

Sorry that my signature is not clear - it happened on my Win7 laptop.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you ran "Microsoft Recovery," whether you were using System Restore, the recovery console or doing a repair installation. 

This confused me at the time! I pressed f8 to get what on the XP is called Safe Mode. One of the options on the menu there said "Microsoft Recovery" - or at least I thought it did. I've tried several times to recreate it but can't! I hope this never happens again but if it does, I'll save a screen print.

Looking back, it must have been System Restore. I had to check for updates four or five times afterwards so that probably confirms it wa System Restore

I don't think anything having to do with the lottery site is related to any of this.

This is the most important bit, of course! Thank you.

Hi SendOfJive.

Thanks for your help - sorry for the delay but I've been away, Regards.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi, Taffy. System Restore can also upset Norton, particularly if Tamper Protection has not been turned off.

If your Norton is running fine and updates ok, then SOj's comments are all you need to take notice of.

If Norton starts misbehaving and you wish to reinstall, we can provide a link to the Remove and Reinstall Tool, which will give you a fresh version.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

thanks both for your help. I'm re-assured now. Much appreciated.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Taffy_078,

The Windows Update, is the reason why the Norton turns off / Norton does not get enough memory to remain active as Microsoft acts as base for all applications be it Norton , or any other application.If you observe , when Windows updates are running on computer in background ,your internet & other applications also responds very slowly.Being Windows XP ,it still works slow.

Kudos0

BalsaraBhavin wrote:

Hi Taffy_078,

The Windows Update, is the reason why the Norton turns off  . . .

Thank you for this.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.