• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

How do I manually delete a Norton 360 Backup?

I would like to 100% clean out my N360 backups and would like the details to know the details and steps to achieve.

NOTE: Copied from Norton 360 to Backup per request

History:

I have Norton 360 Premier and have been using it's backup solution for a few years.  A year or two ago I was amazed how there's not a retention setting in the backups - it'll just keep growing and growing.  The solution was to create another backup set and run in a while then delete the prior backup set and files.  This is really, really slow and presents risk.  The last 2 backup set deletions took up to 6 days to complete - nothing corrupt, no permissions issues, nothing (it's just really slow).  I also noticed that the files being deleted (per the N360 GUI) are from my C: drive rather than my mapped S: drive (NAS solution) where my backups are stored.

Today I deleted another backup set with files that held ~6 months of data.  After a few minutes, I decided to cancel it because I need to do some maintenance and didn't want to wait for days to do so.  The backup set is now gone from the GUI for me to continue my deletion (backup set and files) to purge my NAS.  When I go into Restore, I see that backup set listed and the data within but I can't do anything to restart the deletion of the files...

Based on my seeing that files are deleted from C: in the past, I did a test. I created a new backup set (test 1) and backed up about 1GB of data.  I then created another backup set (test 2) and backed up about 1MB of data.  I then deleted the test 1 backup set and noticed that it's deleting backup files from my C: drive even though backups are to my S: drive.

Questions:

1. The N360_BACKUP folder on my NAS names files cryptically ({7C487AB5-FCA1-479F-8C62-E16A51721F82}) - how does one know what backup set goes with what cryptic folder.  I can look at dates but some of the folders have dates all over the place...
  2. Where does all the backup data/meta data get stored?  It's deleting files from C: so I'm guessing these are links to actual files on my S: drive.  I go into the C: folders and I have no idea what it's deleting - they must be hidden.  So I go to those directories and do a Dir *.* /ahls (attributes that are hidden, reparse points and system) - nothing there.  So what is it deleting?  Is any data for N360 backups stored on my C: drive or the registry or anywhere else?
  3. If I were to delete any of the S:\N360_BACKUP\<folders> would that leave data elsewhere?
  4. If I were to uninstall N360 would it clean up and delete all N360 files to include any/all data related to N360 backups?
  5. Is there a Norton tool/utility that automates any of this process to completely delete N360 backups?

I would like to 100% clean out my N360 backups and would like the details to know the details and steps to achieve.

Thanks,

CY

Labels: Backup

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How do I manually delete a Norton 360 Backup?

Hi cyuris001.

I will do my best to respond to your questions though I am not using N360 and have no experience of NAS drives.

Questions:

• 1 The N360_BACKUP folder on my NAS names files cryptically ({7C487AB5-FCA1-479F-8C62-E16A51721F82}) - how does one know what backup set goes with what cryptic folder.  I can look at dates but some of the folders have dates all over the place...

The dates are often a good clue but the best way is to open the "cryptic" folder.  Inside you should see a set of folders and two files.  One of the files should be DiscID.dat.  Open that file in a text editor and the last line should give you the name of the backup set.

• 2 Where does all the backup data/meta data get stored?  It's deleting files from C: so I'm guessing these are links to actual files on my S: drive.  I go into the C: folders and I have no idea what it's deleting - they must be hidden.  So I go to those directories and do a Dir *.* /ahls (attributes that are hidden, reparse points and system) - nothing there.  So what is it deleting?  Is any data for N360 backups stored on my C: drive or the registry or anywhere else?

I believe that all the data is stored in the "cryptic" folder I have no idea why anything is being deleted from your C: drive if the backup is on the S: drive.  I have not seen this.

• 3 If I were to delete any of the S:\N360_BACKUP\<folders> would that leave data elsewhere?

As far as I am aware deleting the "cryptic" folder will delete all data relating to that backup set.

• 4 If I were to uninstall N360 would it clean up and delete all N360 files to include any/all data related to N360 backups?

No the data is stored there waiting to be restored, unless you specifically delete it, either through Norton or by removing the "cryptic" folder.

• 5 Is there a Norton tool/utility that automates any of this process to completely delete N360 backups?

Not that I am aware of apart from the "Delete Backup Set" functionality I think you will find in the backup software.  However I find a much faster way is to select the relevant folder in Windows Explorer and hit the delete button.

Then delete the folder N360_BACKUP from your S: drive.

I hope the above made some sense and is of some help.

Please feel free to come back with any further questions.

Mike

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.