• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How long after install of NIS 2013 should idle tasks start running?

Question:

How long after installing NIS 2013, should Quick Scan run on it's own?

Details:

I had NIS 20.2.1.22 installed.  I uninstalled the program and chose to not keep settings and rebooted.  I then ran NRT and rebooted again and installed NIS 20.2.0.19 as that was what was installed when I clicked the download link in my Norton Account.

I originally ran Live Update manually and rebooted until everything was up to date (still 20.2.0.19) and left my machine alone for about an hour.  When I came back "Automatic LiveUpdate", "Norton Insight" and "Pulse Updates" had run.  Everything else had not run ("I disabled Insight Optimizer" and "Full System Scan").

This seemed odd since Quick Scan normally runs shortly after "Automatic LiveUpdate", so I repeated the uninstall and reinstall process (including running NRT).

This time I didn't do anything after installing.  I simply waited about 30 minutes and then checked the Tasks.  "Automatic LiveUpdate" and "Pulse Updates" had run, but "Automatic LiveUpdate" only ran for 20 seconds which seemed odd considering there were 13 updates to apply.  I manually ran Live Update and sure enough it hadn't downloaded any of the updates since it did it then.  I then rebooted, ran Live Update again and rebooted.

I then let it sit for about an hour.  During that time "Automatic LiveUpdate", "Norton Insight" and "Pulse Updates" had run, along with some Maitenance Tasks, but Quick Scan and Norton Community Watch had not.

I know Quick Scan runs after there's a virus definition update, but since I installed from scratch I would expect it would run as soon as my system was idle.  Prior to uninstalling Quick Scan automatically ran even if my system wasn't idle.

According to this post where someone had a problem with Idle Quck Scan not running, his ran within a few hours of installing, but only after he installed an older version (20.1.0.24).

It's been 3 hours for me and it hasn't run yet.  How long does it normally take to start running these tasks after installing?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How long after install of NIS 2013 should idle tasks start running?

Are you looking under tasks or are you looking at the History?

The history will be a more accurate listing of what has or has not happened on your system.

In the history window, choose Scan Results in the drop down list at the top. See if that shows anything different from what you are reporting.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

There is nothing listed for "Scan Results" in history and the Norton Tasks shows Quck Scan last ran "Never".

Kudos0

Try manually initiating a Quick Scan.

Kudos0

Manual Quick Scan worked.  It also added an entry to Norton Tasks saying it last ran when I did the manual scan. I shouldn't need to do a manual scan every day though.

At this point, assuming it's working, it should do an automatic scan after the next virus defs update, which will be tomorrow, so if it doesn't do that then, I don't know what else I can do since I've already done a NRT uninstall.

The Norton Community Watch hasn't run yet either.

Kudos0

Morac wrote:

Manual Quick Scan worked.  It also added an entry to Norton Tasks saying it last ran when I did the manual scan. I shouldn't need to do a manual scan every day though.

At this point, assuming it's working, it should do an automatic scan after the next virus defs update, which will be tomorrow, so if it doesn't do that then, I don't know what else I can do since I've already done a NRT uninstall.

The Norton Community Watch hasn't run yet either.

Community watch not running is a good thing. This feature reports to Norton any attacks that have been directed at your computer.

When Norton detects and blocks an attack or malware the community watch feature will send that information to Symantec for analysis to help improve the products. It also gives them information about what attacks are happening in what areas of the world.

As for the Quick scans, just keep an eye on things  and see what happens after you let the computer go idle.

Kudos0

Norton Community watch has pending items to submit according to the History.   Prior to uninstalling that ran once every 24 hours.  Again I would expect doing a complete uninstall and re-install to reset that timer so it should run when  idle today.

As for the Quick Scan, I don't know if it will run when idle now since I ran manually.  I gave it plenty of time today to run when idle, plus the quick scan will run when not idle if it feels like it.

Like I said, if it doesn't run after the next Automatic Live Update then something is wrong.  I installed the version from the Norton Account (20.2.0.19) which is a much smaller file than the one available at http://www.norton.com/latestnis (20.1.1.2).  The one from Norton Account installs the latest virus defs at the time of the install so it doesn't need to update them after doing the install, which may be why it didn't run Quick Scan (though it should do so).

Anyway if it doesn't start running, I'll try the method used by the guy in the following thread, which was to install the trial version 20.1.0.24.  If that is required then, that means there's a bug in the Norton Account install method.

See http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2013-Quck-Scan-Not-Running-During-Idle-Mode/m-p/862328#M225159

Kudos0

You did not mention why you needed to reinstall NIS. What problems were you trying to solve?

It may fix things if you do another reinstall using the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool. There could have been some corruption when you used the download from your account, or during the install.

Download the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrnr
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Use the CSV format for compatibility.
Run the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool.
Reboot.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Try to log into your Identity Safe. If you can, you are done. If not, Import your Identity Safe data.

Kudos0

I uninstalled to try and fix a problem where Norton always thought my PC was idle after resuming frosellers, so it was kicking off idle processing when I was using my PC which made my machine unusable. 

Ive already did two uninstalls using the NRT program as I said in one of the posts above,  I don't see what doing it a third time will accomplish unless I install an old version (see post right above yours).

Kudos0

If you used the Download button from your Norton Account, it used a downloader. If you use a direct download of the installer, it takes the possiblility of the downloader causing some kind of corruption.

Try this link.   www.norton.com/nis20

Or you can still wait a day or two to see if things go back to normal. You are still protected by the Autoprotect real time scanning.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Quick Scan ran this morning pretty much right after I resumed my laptop from sleep, which in itself is wrong since it's supposed to wait 10 minutes, but it looks like Norton didn't detect that the machine slept (it shows it active the entire time it was sleeping) so that's why it kicked off.

In any case it does run, but not until the first virus definition update from Live Update after installing.

Kudos0

It may be the way it is designed. If there have been no changes to the difinitions, there is no reason to scan again. Any files you download are checked against the current definitions by Download Intelligence and will be checked again by Autoprotect when you try to access the file.

When a new definition file is installed, there are new threats that can be detected, so a Quick scan is initiated.

Kudos0

That makes sense normally, but one would think that a fresh install would kick off a quick scan right away,  in any case it's working. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.