• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

How to stop 22.11... Product Update, and Trust again...?

1. I want to be able to do a manual Live Update without getting a new Product too ( I like to wait awhile for them to get the bugs... out). How do I do this?

2. When I do a Product update for better Protection from Ransomeware..., do I have to re-trust all of my programs/apps?- Or will the new Product keep them all from current version? Will I also have to re-do all of my NS settings?

Scott

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Norton Security Standard (No Backup). On-demand AV's- Old version MBAM/Rootkit.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to stop 22.11... Product Update, and Trust again...?

1. You can't.  Unfortunately we can't pick and choose which updates we install.
  2. I have asked for more information about this new Ransomware Heuristics but so far only the sound of crickets.
A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Will I also have to re-do all of my NS settings?

Just accepting LiveUpdates does not reset any settings. Only if you reinstall for some reason, you may lose some settings.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

I posted this in Product Suggestions. 

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/automatic-download-new-version-option

Maybe in the distance future will will get the choice back.

Jim

Kudos0

We never had to option to restrict 'minor' updates. ie 22.1 to 22.2. The setting you mention only restricted 22.x to 23.x.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos3 Stats

peterweb:

We never had to option to restrict 'minor' updates. ie 22.1 to 22.2. The setting you mention only restricted 22.x to 23.x.

There in lies the problem.  My post asked Norton to change that option to include minor and other updates. It's a useless option right now as 22 came out years ago and many of the "minor" updates have caused problems.

Jim

Kudos3 Stats

peterweb:

I've been using Norton since 2008 and the interface on older versions of LiveUpdate had a check box for every update offered so that users could accept/decline which updates they wanted to download and install - including definition updates and minor product updates like v16.3.x to 16.4.x.  I used to have a very slow dial-up internet connection at home and would accept daily definition updates and smaller product updates, but I would only download and install product updates larger than ~ 10 MB when my laptop was connected to free public WiFi at a local library or a coffee shop.

Norton eventually introduced features like Pulse Updates and Bandwidth Metering to give users with slower connection speeds some control over how product updates were delivered to their computer (see my 2011 comments <here>) but those features no longer exist in the v22.x product that now focuses on cloud-based protection.

I strongly agree with PhoneMan's comments and kudo'd his product suggestion <here>.  Norton v22.0 was released in September 2014 and disabling Settings | Administrative Settings | Automatic Download of New Version to prevent a major upgrade (e.g., v22.x to v23.x) is useless since Symantec has classified every single product update in the past 3 years as a minor version update.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2

Kudos0

I found the Stop New Version Updates... setting In Antivirus... (see NewVersion.zip File Attachment), and when I show Security/Updates- It shows "2 Product Updates Pending"- Then when I update goes Gray...

Sorry- This Forum Doesn't allow .jpg (Security I would guess?), so I zipped it...- I guess you have to Save it to a Folder, and Open it later...

File Attachment: 
Win7 Pro 32-bit, Norton Security Standard (No Backup). On-demand AV's- Old version MBAM/Rootkit.
Kudos0

That is the option we are talking about. It only affects major updates like going from 22 to 23 and not minor updates like 22.10 to 22.11.

Jim

Kudos0

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hello

As has been pointed out, that Check For New Version only checks for changes from major changes like from version 22 to 23. We have been on version 22 for over 3 years now.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

scottls59901:

I found the Stop New Version Updates... setting In Antivirus... (see NewVersion.zip File Attachment), and when I show Security/Updates- It shows "2 Product Updates Pending"- Then when I update goes Gray...

Sorry- This Forum Doesn't allow .jpg (Security I would guess?), so I zipped it...- I guess you have to Save it to a Folder, and Open it later...

Kudos0

scottls59901:

...when I show Security/Updates- It shows "2 Product Updates Pending"- Then when I update goes Gray...

Hi scottls59901:

If you go to Help |  General Information | About does it show that you have the current v22.11.0.41?  If not, run a few manual LiveUpdates until no further updates are available (re-booting when prompted) and then perform one final re-boot to finish the update. I noticed that the v22.11.0.41 product update was a multi-part update that required four or five LiveUpdates before the new scan engine was finally installed and my version number finally changed from v22.10.1.10 to v22.11.0.41.

If you have a Win 8.1 or Win 10 operating system also ensure the Fast Startup feature is disabled as described in the support article Message: "You Are At Risk. Your computer and network protections are at risk".  This Fast Startup feature can cause unexpected problems with loading of Norton services at boot-up and interfere with proper application of updates on Win 8.x and Win 10 computers.
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2

Kudos0

lmacri:
scottls59901:

...when I show Security/Updates- It shows "2 Product Updates Pending"- Then when I update goes Gray...

Hi scottls59901:

If you go to Help |  General Information | About does it show that you have the current v22.11.0.41?  If not, run a few manual LiveUpdates until no further updates are available (re-booting when prompted) and then perform one final re-boot to finish the update. I noticed that the v22.11.0.41 product update was a multi-part update that required four or five LiveUpdates before the new scan engine was finally installed and my version number finally changed from v22.10.1.10 to v22.11.0.41.

I checked About, and I'm auto-updated 22.11.0.41!    :o)

Re (for in the future):  (re-booting when prompted)-

After the update is downloaded, do you close the NS GUI/wait for how long,

or leave NS Update box open/wait?

In past updates/Installation- I've closed NS/waited 20min, and finally rebooted...  Never have been prompted???

Kudos0

Hello

If you have automatic Live Updates turned on as you should, it may not show up there after a while. If you check Live Updates in your History Logs under Live Updates, there is a line that says Reboot Required and it will say YES or NO.  Security>dropdown Live Update. If there is a patch involved, it will say Apply Now or Later. It's always a good idea to check Live Update listings after clicking on More Options -lower left on each listing. After restarting, I check Live Updates again to see if there are any more updates. If there are any updates, after they are installed, give 1 more final restart.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

scottls59901:

After the update is downloaded, do you close the NS GUI/wait for how long,or leave NS Update box open/wait?

In past updates/Installation- I've closed NS/waited 20min, and finally rebooted...  Never have been prompted???

Hi scottls59901:

Do you still have a Win 7 SP1 OS?  If you scroll to the bottom of the product update announcement Norton 22.11 Product Update Available Now it states the following, so how product updates are applied depends on your operating system.

I have a Vista SP2 OS so unlike Win 7 SP1 and higher users, I'm prompted to Restart Now / Restart Later immediately after the LiveUpdate is finished  (i.e., Check for updates / Download updates / Process updates are all completed) if a product update is delivered - but only if I run a manual LiveUpdate that opens the LiveUpdate interface and waits for me to choose an action before I close the interface.  If the product update is delivered via an Automatic LiveUpdate that runs silently in the background while my system is idle then the update is automatically applied after my next re-boot, and I only know I've been updated if I go to Help | About to check my version number.

Go to the main page for the Product Update Announcements blog at https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements and choose Subscribe from the Options dropdown list.  Once you are subscribed to this blog you will receive an automatic e-mail notification whenever a new product update is released for Norton Security and other Norton products.

These product updates are rolled out in phases so not everyone receives the update via LiveUpdate at the same time, but the e-mail notification will at least alert you that a Norton product update is expected in the coming days. I shut down my computer every evening and re-boot the next morning, so if Norton is warning you that you have multiple product updates pending it might mean that you need to re-boot your computer more frequently or that you have a Win 8.x or Win 10 computer with Fast Startup enabled that is preventing your Norton updates from being applied correctly (see my warning about Fast Startup <here>).
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.