• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to uninstall NIS 2011 correctly.

Hi there,

I know that NIS 2012 is being released this September time and obviously I want to make sure that NIS 2011 is completely removed from my system before updating to NIS 2012.

Also, knowing the correct process for removing NIS 2011/2012 correctly is useful to have in case I have to reinstall for some reason.

So my question is; how do I go about uninstalling NIS 2011 completely from my system before installing NIS 2012?

Is the process like so;

1) Download NIS 2012, turn PC off and disconnect from Internet;

2) Uninstall NIS 2011 using it's built-in uninstaller (or via add/remove programmes in Control Panel);

3) Reboot computer;

4) Run the Norton Removal Tool (NOT the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool);

5) Reboot computer;

6) Run the Norton Removal Tool again;

7) Reboot computer;

8) Run CCleaner;

9) Install NIS 2012.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Ta,

J_W.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to uninstall NIS 2011 correctly.

Hi there,

I know that NIS 2012 is being released this September time and obviously I want to make sure that NIS 2011 is completely removed from my system before updating to NIS 2012.

Also, knowing the correct process for removing NIS 2011/2012 correctly is useful to have in case I have to reinstall for some reason.

So my question is; how do I go about uninstalling NIS 2011 completely from my system before installing NIS 2012?

Is the process like so;

1) Download NIS 2012, turn PC off and disconnect from Internet;

2) Uninstall NIS 2011 using it's built-in uninstaller (or via add/remove programmes in Control Panel);

3) Reboot computer;

4) Run the Norton Removal Tool (NOT the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool);

5) Reboot computer;

6) Run the Norton Removal Tool again;

7) Reboot computer;

8) Run CCleaner;

9) Install NIS 2012.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Ta,

J_W.

Kudos1 Stats

Your list is just fine; that will work nicely.

If you are behind a router, you don't have to disconnect from the Internet. A router will block any and all incoming unsolicited traffic and attacks.

Even if you aren't behind a router, you wouldn't have to disconnect; the Windows 7 firewall is enabled when you uninstall NIS, and it is excellent and will block any incoming traffic and attacks too.

Kudos0

LOL - I would recommend turning the PC back on prior to Step #2, after turning it off in step #1! 

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

This is what I would do:

1. Back up your identiy safe data (http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=kb20100422131249EN_EndUserPro...

2. Download the Norton removal tool from http://www.norton.com/nrt and the Norton Internet Security 2012 installer from www.norton.com/nis12 and save it to your desktop (or just about any folder you can find later).

3. When download of the two file completes, run the Norton Internet Security uninstaller  via the add/remove programs and select the option to remove all data.

4. Reboot your PC.

5. Run the Norton Removal Tool you downloaded earlier.  Repeat this step at least two times, rebooting between attempts.

6. After you have rebooted, run the Norton installation file you downloaded from www.norton.com/nis12.  Be sure to run the file as "adminstrator" (right click the file and select run as adminstrator.

7. Turn on the Internet connection

8. Run LiveUpdate repeatedly until no more updates are found.  If Norton requests you to reboot, do so and re-run LiveUpdate.

9. Test stabality.

10. Run the Full Scan via the Norton task window as Norton will try to complete this first full scan.

11. Restore identiy safe data.

* Note the link www.norton.com/nis12 is currently dead but it is expected to be working when the 2012 version is updated.

I wouldn't run a registery cleaner cause it can cause more problems than it solves.  Anyways, the Norton removal tool should remove all traces of the Norton program.

Edit: I forgot to add restore identity safe data.  Also, you may find references to Norton 2011 as this is copied and pasted from my earlier post to reinstall Norton 2011.

"Character is a journey, not a destination"--Bill ClintonVisit the Norton Upgrade Center to see if you qualify for a FREE upgrade of your Norton software!
Kudos0

yank wrote:

LOL - I would recommend turning the PC back on prior to Step #2, after turning it off in step #1! 

You mean the internet connection right...

"Character is a journey, not a destination"--Bill ClintonVisit the Norton Upgrade Center to see if you qualify for a FREE upgrade of your Norton software!
Kudos0

yank wrote:

Ah, yes - that would be helpful... ^_^  (bit picky aren't we    )

Bombastus - I am behind a router, however just for piece of mind I always disconnect from the internet whenever I update... :)

ThuWin - thanks for your step-by-step guide, that was along the lines of what I was thinking of doing, just wanted to make sure they were in the right sequence.

Thanks for your replies - I shall mark this as solved!

Ta,

J_W.

Kudos0

ThuWin wrote:

yank wrote:

No, I mean exactly what I said  - the PC!!

Kudos0

yank wrote:

ThuWin wrote:

yank wrote:

No, I mean exactly what I said  - the PC!!

Oh yeah... I missed the step when the OP turns off the PC to disconnect the internet.

In fact to disconnect the internet doesn't require turning off the PC! Just either a. turn off the wireless radio (via the button on the keyboard like f2 or fn f2 for Dell laptops) or b. disconnecting the ethernet cable.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.