• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

HP Support Assistant Blocked n360 Vers 22.5.0.124 update

Firewall issues caused by the n360 Vers 22.5.0.124 update, I have come across some more issues.

At least four if not more parts of HP Support Assistant are being blocked. No user will even know this is happening, but Norton does now. They can be manually unblocked, but that is not the point here. These should not be blocked! None of these programs are newer than June 30, 2015 and they all have digital signatures. Norton get your databases up-to-date please.

##
Category: Firewall - Activities
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local 

Computer,Traffic Description
7/14/2015 2:30:25 PM,Info,You blocked HPSAObjUtil7 from accessing your network resources.,Blocked,No Action 

Required,HPSAObjUtil7,C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\ActiveCheck\product_line\HPSAObjUtil7.exe,No 

Action Required,Block,"192.168.1.153, 54831","Outbound TCP, www-http"
You blocked <b>HPSAObjUtil7</b> from accessing your network resources. To allow <b>HPSAObjUtil7</b> to access your network 

resources, in the <b>Actions</b> panel, click <b>Allow</b> if applicable. 

##
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Program Name,Program Path,Default Action,Action Taken,Local 

7/14/2015 2:17:27 PM,Info,You blocked HP Support Assistant Service from accessing your network resources.,Blocked,No Action 

Required,HP Support Assistant Service,C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\HPSA_Service.exe,No Action 

Required,Block,"192.168.1.153, 54538","Outbound TCP, www-http"
You blocked <b>HP Support Assistant Service</b> from accessing your network resources. To allow <b>HP Support Assistant 

Service</b> to access your network resources, in the <b>Actions</b> panel, click <b>Allow</b> if applicable. 

##

7/14/2015 2:18:41 PM,Info,You blocked ProductConfig from accessing your network resources.,Blocked,No Action 

Required,ProductConfig,C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\ProductConfig.exe,No Action 

Required,Block,"192.168.1.153, 54557","Outbound TCP, www-http"
You blocked <b>ProductConfig</b> from accessing your network resources. To allow <b>ProductConfig</b> to access your network 

##

7/14/2015 2:18:45 PM,Info,You blocked HPResources from accessing your network resources.,Blocked,No Action 

Required,HPResources,C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPResources.exe,No Action 

Required,Block,"192.168.1.153, 54558","Outbound TCP, www-http"
You blocked <b>HPResources</b> from accessing your network resources. To allow <b>HPResources</b> to access your network 

##

Replies

Kudos0

Re: HP Support Assistant Blocked n360 Vers 22.5.0.124 update

Kudos0

How would I go about checking HPSA isn't being blocked by Norton?
Kudos0

Well, I'll open HP Support Assistant from tray Icon...
then I'll check for updates.  I'll see the graphic and last check date.
I'm not on a scheduled check.

Kudos0

MedievalMan:
How would I go about checking HPSA isn't being blocked by Norton?

If it was being blocked by the Norton FW...

1st) You'd be seeing error messages (communications problems) reported on the HPSA "HP updates" and "HP messages" tabs:

2nd) The blocking activity would be recorded in the Norton FW Security History:

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

Most update programs, are not reporting being blocked this includes HPSA. The level they are being blocked at is acting like normal "network not available", so the program just schedules a retry for later. Currently the only way to know this is happening is to check Recent History "Security History". The fast path is to right click of the Norton icon in the system icon tray and select "View Recent History". On windows 8, the system tray is the white triangle on the right side of the task bar, click on that and it will open the tray. The following three pictures show you where.<SystemTray>

The Norton icon is the yellow circle with the big black check mark and either a green (meaning things are good) or a red (meaning there are some issues) small check mark.<SystemTrayOpen>

<NortonQuickMenu>

The "Recent History" window will look something like this: <RecentHistorySecurityHistory>

You can narrow the data in the report by typing in "HP" in the "Quick Search" window. <RecentHistorySecurityHistory_HP>

To manually add an override for now, you can add the five I have detect up to this point from this short list:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\ActiveCheck\product_line\HPSAObjUtil7.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\HPSA_Service.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\HPSA.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\ProductConfig.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPResources.exe

(I know HPSA.exe was not on my list, but it is in my rules. I either fix it and forgot to record it, or Norton has fixed it.)

A side note, do a manual update "Run LiveUpdate" before you do the next steps and do a refresh "the three quarters circle arrow) in the history window. They may have fixed this issue for you. The way to know is you will not see "Blocked" for these entries in the history window. If the entries are "Allowed", they fixed it. If not continue with the following.

To do the override, open the Norton's main window. In my case "Open Norton 360 Premier". <Norton360Premier>

Next open "Settings". <NortonSettings>

Click on the word "Firewall". <NortonFirewall_GeneralSettings>

Click the "Program Control" tab. <NortonFirewall_ProgramControl>

>>>Start: Loop starting here for each entry
Click on "Add". <NortonFirewall_ProgramControl_Add>

Scroll down to the folder and open each one step by step until you get the program. Hover your mouse over that entry to make sure it is the one you looking for. The reason I state that is, there can be more than one name that starts the same and ends differently. The next picture shows the hover over. <NortonFirewall_ProgramControl_Add_HP1_HoverOver>

The program selected. <NortonFirewall_ProgramControl_Add_HP1>

Select the file and click "OK".

"Notice that I deleted my rule, for HPResources.exe, and the following came up when I re-entered it. This is window is different than the one I was seeing up today. Before it defaulted to 'Manual'." <NortonFirewall_ProgramControl_Add_Security Alert>

Set the "Options" to "Allow always".
Click "OK", then click "Apply".
<<< End Loop, do next entry goto back to "Start:" until all entries done

I hopefully this helps. Norton is working as fast as they can to get these issues fix, so please be patient.

Kudos0

Hi PhilH42,

Thanks for posting the FW definitions (and the how to's) for this particular problem...

Undoubtedly there will be others who'll discover they have the need to do the same.

Interestingly enough though, on both of my two HP laptops that have the HP Support Assistant and NSwB installed, the same FW definitions were auto-created and auto-added to the Program Control list.

It's unfortunate that you ended up having to manually do the job, and hopefully Norton will find and fix the cause for it. 

Guess this is another one of those hard-to-pin-down situations that ultimately gets defined as another one of those "your mileage may vary" scenarios...

Thanks again for the info, and Cheers!
John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.