• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?

This seems to be a recurring problem. Why is that? Anyway, I have not been able to find a solution that is current as all the support articles that are linked in responses to prior posts with this problem are no longer available since they are related to older versions of Norton 360. So here's yet another post about not being able to delete or purge online backup files.

I tried to go online using a web browser to try and find the purge option for my onine backup files created with previous versions of Norton 360, but the only options available to me are downloading the files or getting links to the files. See the following picture.

I've tried to delete the files by using the Norton 360 software on my PC but the option to delete files was grayed out for some reason. Recently as I was writing this message the option became available for an unknown reason so I am currently in the process of trying to delete the files. I will update this message after the software tells me it's done. We'll see if it works or not.

This has been a major annoyance for me for probably over 2 years now. I just got so angry at online backup not working properly that I just gave up caring about it for those 2 years. It would be really nice if all the features of Norton 360 would just work properly without any problems. Is that really too much to ask of sofware these days? As a result, I've had 56 GB of online storage that I've paid for that I haven't been able to use for several years now. Thanks Norton.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?

This seems to be a recurring problem. Why is that? Anyway, I have not been able to find a solution that is current as all the support articles that are linked in responses to prior posts with this problem are no longer available since they are related to older versions of Norton 360. So here's yet another post about not being able to delete or purge online backup files.

I tried to go online using a web browser to try and find the purge option for my onine backup files created with previous versions of Norton 360, but the only options available to me are downloading the files or getting links to the files. See the following picture.

I've tried to delete the files by using the Norton 360 software on my PC but the option to delete files was grayed out for some reason. Recently as I was writing this message the option became available for an unknown reason so I am currently in the process of trying to delete the files. I will update this message after the software tells me it's done. We'll see if it works or not.

This has been a major annoyance for me for probably over 2 years now. I just got so angry at online backup not working properly that I just gave up caring about it for those 2 years. It would be really nice if all the features of Norton 360 would just work properly without any problems. Is that really too much to ask of sofware these days? As a result, I've had 56 GB of online storage that I've paid for that I haven't been able to use for several years now. Thanks Norton.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?

Here's an update. I posted an angry message on Norton's Facebook page detailing my problems. Someone responded pretty quickly and I've been communicating with them off and on for the last 11 hours regarding the problem. I gave them details about the error message I was receiving when trying to delete and restore my online backup files. They have yet to provide me with a solution. In the meantime, I decided to just do what the Norton website told me to do after I clicked a link on the error message which was to re-install Norton 360. I downloaded and started the automatic removal and installation tool but that ended up failing and a error message popped up telling me I needed to manually uninstall and re-install Norton. What a shock. :-/

After uninstalling and re-installing Norton 360 I tried to login to my Identity Safe vault and now I can't because I keep getting an error about a network problem. When I try to login to my vault at the Identity Safe website I get a error message that doesn't tell me what the problem is and to contact support if it continues. On top of that, now I don't even see the backup set of files I've been trying to restore and delete in my online backup even though the space it was taking up is still unavailable to use. So what was supposed to be the solution to my original problem seems to have created a new one for me in addition to the one I already had.

I've been working on these problems for over 11 hours now and my patience wore thin hours ago. I am too tired to be angry anymore. Now I'm just really depressed. Is there anyone out there that can make these problems go away please?

Kudos0

Re: I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?

Hello misfit,

I am sorry about your frustration that you are having with the problem. Would you please private message me your name number and 2 seperate times that would work for me to contact you? I am at work 9am-6pm pst but i am not always able to check the forums if you private message me it will send it to my email.

Michael: Technical Account Manager NAM
Kudos0

Re: I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?

I am having a similar problem!  I use Norton 360 which comes with 2BG online storage, but 40% of that storage is being used by a set that I already deleted, or at least I thought I did. I had deleted the "default set" from my account, my Norton 360 product, but it still appears saved online. These are the details:

I go to Norton Online Backup (https://nobu.backup.com/session/new) and click "sign in." After I click "sign in," I am taken to the Window where I enter in my sign credentials, then click "sign in."

There, on the page "My Devices," a picture of a PC is shown and listed is:
(name)-PC: Default Set

This "Default Set" is using "40% of 2 GB," only leaving me only 60% of my 2GB.

Now, I had thought I deleted my "Default Set" by opening up 360, going to "Backups," then "Manage Backup Sets," and deleting that set after I had created a new set, because it would not allow me to delete a set unless I had at least two sets. The default set was outdated so I just wanted to get rid of it and start a clean, new backup.

So I deleted the "Default Set" but it still remains online, taking up my 40% of my storage space. I cannot figure another way to delete it. It no longer appears in Norton 360 (on my PC), so I can't delete it from there, and there's no delete button or option to delete on the "My Devices" page at Norton Online Backup. And I can't backup my current set because the rouge "default set" is still online and taking up so much space.

Surely there must be some way to delete this unwanted backup set? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Kudos0

Re: I cannot delete online backup files.Why is this still a problem?


vsnmx2 wrote:

I am having a similar problem!  I use Norton 360 which comes with 2BG online storage, but 40% of that storage is being used by a set that I already deleted, or at least I thought I did. I had deleted the "default set" from my account, my Norton 360 product, but it still appears saved online. These are the details:

I go to Norton Online Backup (https://nobu.backup.com/session/new) and click "sign in." After I click "sign in," I am taken to the Window where I enter in my sign credentials, then click "sign in."

 

There, on the page "My Devices," a picture of a PC is shown and listed is:
(name)-PC: Default Set

 

This "Default Set" is using "40% of 2 GB," only leaving me only 60% of my 2GB.

 

Now, I had thought I deleted my "Default Set" by opening up 360, going to "Backups," then "Manage Backup Sets," and deleting that set after I had created a new set, because it would not allow me to delete a set unless I had at least two sets. The default set was outdated so I just wanted to get rid of it and start a clean, new backup.

 

So I deleted the "Default Set" but it still remains online, taking up my 40% of my storage space. I cannot figure another way to delete it. It no longer appears in Norton 360 (on my PC), so I can't delete it from there, and there's no delete button or option to delete on the "My Devices" page at Norton Online Backup. And I can't backup my current set because the rouge "default set" is still online and taking up so much space.

 

Surely there must be some way to delete this unwanted backup set? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!




The problem seems to have been solved for me! I don't know if this will work for others, but it worked for me:

 

I also posted this question to Norton's Facebook page, and they replied telling me to "try to delete the backup set from Norton 360 ->Backups -> Manage Backups Sets -> Where ->Delete Backed up Files (which will be at the bottom left of the screen)," which I did, and that deleted the files (and set) that were left online.

 

So then I tried to backup my new set and that worked fine, and I checked my online backup account and all seems fine now. 

 

It seems just deleting a set from your "manage backups" on Norton 360 isn't sufficient, at least in my case, and you also have to go to where they where backed up, and manually delete them from there as well.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.