• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

I have an Open Port 554

My  Port 554 is open ??????????????????? It's the Real Time Streaming Protocol.

It is open and not stealthed.

Tried another Security Suite - Same result.

Is this a cause for concern?????

Am I exposed to malmare or a threat?

I have done a full scan and nothing turned up.

Might I have some background process that's using it? If so what type?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: I have an Open Port 554

Hi, hok. This comment came from a user on whirlpool.net.au.

I too thought the culprit would be real time streaming but playing around with the settings still resulted in an open port.

I did find the culprit however and it was home group networking. I disabled that as my computer's the only computer in the house anyway and then did another shieldsup test and this time the port was stealthed successfully.
Took me two hours to find the culprit. I must have run shieldsup about 30 times while tinkering with settings.

Here is the page link.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1501353

This KB article from Microsoft may also help. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827562

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks F4E but I have no Homegroup and don't know how to disable it. I am connected through a "Private network" of one.

Kudos0

Problem Solved

I uninstalled and reinstalled a bunch of programs from my PC this AM. It appears I had a corrupted installation of Silverlight that was the problem.

Kudos0

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi:-)

I have an open port 554 again.

This is on another PC which was a replacement for a defective PC. It's an ASUS  ROG GR20

Last time it appeared to be Silverlight that was the problem-uninstalling and reinstalling it fixed the problem.

This time that did not fix the issue.

I installed and uninstalled flash also.

What is totally weird about that is that the PC came with flash installed I assume for IE, but it also works fine for Firefox, but when  I test firefox at the Adobe Flash Sight with FF35 it says I do not have Flash Installed.

What is really weird is that after installing the flash download i get the same problem that I reported earlier with Flash Freezing my browser again on certain sites and the only way to close FF is by clicking in the Flash error box "stop the plug-in" or Task manager.

I reported that earlier here:  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/adobe-flash-freezescrashes-firefo...

But when I unstall the new Flash Plugin, Flash works fine on FF with no freezes. Totally weird.

Any suggestions about how ro close port 554 would be appreciated.

Kudos0

Hello hok

Try Shields Up and see what they say. Did you get the latest Flash player? There was another update on Thursday. There will be another update for Flash next week. Also make sure that the add-ons are turned on. Another thing is--make sure that Norton Firewall isn't blocking it. Check the History logs.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

Try Shields Up and see what they say. Did you get the latest Flash player? There was another update on Thursday. There will be another update for Flash next week. Also make sure that the add-ons are turned on. Another thing is--make sure that Norton Firewall isn't blocking it. Check the History logs.

Thanks floplot:-) I used Shields Up. That's how I detected the problem. The port is not stealthed and not blocked,

Tonight I had a disturbing development. My mouse is working but it is not being recognized as the type of mouse it is and it's software and driver are not detcting it so I ran Add Hardware hoping it would be detected. It did not detect the mouse BUT IT DID DETECT a device named Adam-Notebook Laptap.  Even showed an icon for a laptop. Could this mean some hacker has found the open port and gotten inside my PC?

Respecting Flash I have a unique problem.

The PC came with Flash  pre-installed and has updated to the latest version on its own. I presume as part of IE 11. I can access the Flash Control Panel from The Windows Control Panel.Flash works fine for IE11, Whats totally weird is that Flash works totally fine on most sites on FF35. But on some sites it says I'm missing flash.

When I check FF35 on the Adobe site it says I have no Flash Player installed. So I download Flash for FF and install it. After installing the Flash FF Plugin, Flash  freezes my browser on some sites and the only way to close the browser is to click on the warning popup "stop Plugin" or use Task Manager. One example is The Washingfton Post. When I click on a story link the browser freezes and does not go to the page I tried to go to. When I click on "stop plugin" the Browser will either close or go the the story page I clicked on and then freeze.

With the FF Flash Plugin installed, on some other sites there is no freeze but when I start the flash video I hear sound immediately but the video does not appear for 10-30 seconds,which doesn't happen when the FF Plug in is not installed. Weirder still, after I have installed the Flash Plug in for Firefox and go to the adobe test site it says I have no Flash installed, despite the fact that the FF Flash Plug In appears as installed on the Windows Control Panel Uninstall page It's totally weird. I have uninstalled The Firefox 35 Flash plug in to stop the freezes and delayed videos.  When I come to a site where it says I need the flash plugin I just switch to IE.

Kudos0

Hello hok

A Google search of Adam-notebook laptop brings me to this site.

http://adamscomputersinc.com/credentials.html

According to them, they are among the best computer laptop sales and service. Perhaps that is where the laptop was made. It also brought up a place where you can download sounds I believe it was. I really doubt it was anyone who hacked in..

For the mouse, did you check device manager and look for mouse? You could install the drivers and software for the mouse. Just look up the information  about the mouse if it came with your laptop.  If it didn't come with the laptop, then lookup the brand of the mouse-model number and o/s and get the latest drivers and software for it.. Then go to mouse properties and set it up as you like it..

While you are at it, you could check if you have the latest vid driver for your card. That may have something to do with the video problems. Does YouTube work ok?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Kudos0

Kudos0

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks to Krusty13 > Port 554 reports Stealth ~ UPnP does not respond ~ True Stealth Analysis Passed ~ Yippy !

Kudos0

Hi and thank you all for your advice ,suggestions, and proposed solutions BUT it's now a dead issue.

The new Replacement Computer I had a problem with the open port had a total blow out this morning. A short,blown power supply-dunno It's dead as a doornail.

I don't recall if I related my ASUS ROG GR20AJ saga here. I have now had three ASUS ROG's GR 20AJ's.They all either came dead on arrival or failed quickly.

The first two high end machines came with Dead on Arrival GTX 760's. I was able to wipe my personal data from the first and get a replacement.

The second also arrived with a dead on arrival gtx 760 then had a hard drive crash, so I could not wipe it. I decided to eat the loss rather than return it with all my financial, personal/health info/credit cards/pass words to all the forums and stores I use such as Amazon,etc, and all the license keys for my software.

So I bought a less expensive model Asus GR20 and ate the loss on the other for piece of mind.

I got it last night and everything worked including the lesser gtx 750. Then this morning it totally blew-out the so I can't wipe the hard drive myself. Best Buy says they think they can do it, but I don't trust their Geek Squad. I can wipe it with a degausser if I can find a store that has one or who rents them out.

But then this AM the higher end GR 20 with the dead GTX 760 came back to half - life and I was able to do a refresh on it. It's very screwed up, but at least for now I am wiping it. I hope it lasts long enough to do a total wipe so I can take it back for a refund.

BTW: Best Buy has been great and have been doing everything they can to get me a machine that works and try to wipe my drive so I can get a refund or replacement.

If your interested in the details of my ASSUS SAGA I have a thread on it over at Wilders.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/asus-rog-g20-my-experience.372006/

The only thing that has not  failed on all the machines is NS :-) It's been a real trooper. The ROGs come with Mcafee trial preinstalled. The first thing I do after downloading 87 Windows Updates is uninstall Mcafee and install NS

If you should see posts by a fellow with a board name of hok posting obscenities, trolling, etc.it means my wipe was not successful :-)

Thanks again for your help,

hok

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

A Google search of Adam-notebook laptop brings me to this site.

http://adamscomputersinc.com/credentials.html

According to them, they are among the best computer laptop sales and service. Perhaps that is where the laptop was made. It also brought up a place where you can download sounds I believe it was. I really doubt it was anyone who hacked in..

For the mouse, did you check device manager and look for mouse? You could install the drivers and software for the mouse. Just look up the information  about the mouse if it came with your laptop.  If it didn't come with the laptop, then lookup the brand of the mouse-model number and o/s and get the latest drivers and software for it.. Then go to mouse properties and set it up as you like it..

While you are at it, you could check if you have the latest vid driver for your card. That may have something to do with the video problems. Does YouTube work ok?

Hi floplot :-)

I do not own a lap top, this is a desktop and have never heard of that website and for sure have never visited it or clicked on any ad for it..

You might want to check your fire wall with Shields Up All Service Ports if you visited that site. They may be the culprit.

Respecting the mouse I did check device manager and it was listed as a standard mouse  with a Microsoft driver. I tried to reinstall the Rog Mouse driver from a download from the ASUS website, but the installation failed. Said the installation file was missing a dll. It appears ASSUS can't do anything right these days.

I had both the latest Nvidia drivers installed on the GTX760 machines, While device manager on both detected the GTX 760s, on the second machine  after the refresh, device manger did not detect the gtx760.

When I refreshed the 2nd machine today I got a warning that the GPU was improperly configured,device manager did not detect it, and I could not install any NVidia drivers because the installation programs said it could not detect a gpu on the system. Great stuff. Not.

Kudos0

Hello hok

A Google search of that name brought me to that site. I didn't go to the site. Just read what was available. I have an Asus motherboard, but not an Asus computer. My computer was custom made by Velocity Micro. It's a desktop also.

Kudos0

An open port is not like an open door, where you can go into. Saying that a port is open just means that there is a service using this port to communicate.
So for hackers the only information is: there could be a service that I can try to attack. It is not possible to attack a port, you can only attack services.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

A Google search of that name brought me to that site. I didn't go to the site. Just read what was available. I have an Asus motherboard, but not an Asus computer. My computer was custom made by Velocity Micro. It's a desktop also.

Hi floplot

Velocity Micro Rocks :) At one time Best Buy sold a couple of reasonably priced high performance, pre-configured VM desktops in their stores. It was my second PC. Lasted a very long time with no problems until RollbackRx used up all the space on my drive that was not recognized by Windows and could not be deleted. Micro Velocity Support saved the day by pointing me to a download from one of the hard drive makers that zeroed-out the entire drive that I was able to fully restore with the VM recovery discs. Their support is great, even past warranty time. Their quality control is outstanding. I forget why I had to eventually replaced it. I bought it about 16 years ago and still have it. It's a technological dinosaur now :-)

I then started buying Gateway FX's after Acer took them over. Basically Acer Predator's re-branded. The high performance VM's started to go beyond my price range and Acer was trying to make a splash and rebuild confidence in the Gateway brand by selling inexpensive high performance gaming rigs. They were available at local brick and mortar stores. But no more. They came with fast processors but just OK GPUs, but had 500W Power Supplies so they screamed out for GPU upgrades. I have had 2 of them since my VM. They lasted a long time despite very heavy use. The first I blew out changing a sound card Doh, and the second the hard drive just went.

After having just bought 3 defective ASUS ROG GR20's in a month from a brick and mortar Best Buy(who were great in replacing and refunding - one less expensive one that worked great for a night and then totally blew I am eating the cost of for peace of mind - I can't wipe the drive my self ATM and don't trust Best Buy Geek Squad to do it.), I am awaiting the arrival of a new Acer Predator from Amazon. Huge bang for the  buck :-) 

Kudos0

Hello hok

My son just got a computer from VM. That was his 2nd one. The first he had from Best Buy also. I'm on my 2nd computer made by them. The do have some lower price models also if you look at their site. You pick out the parts you want and it gives you a running price as you add components or change them..They sent me a new hard drive one time on the last day of my warrantee. They then sent a tech to my house to install it. He was only supposed to install the drive. He stayed here and installed a lot of my programs for me. He was here for hours. I was in a hurry to get that hard drive, so they over night expressed it for me. Take a look at their website. and see what you come up with..

Kudos0

bjm_:

An open port is not like an open door, where you can go into. Saying that a port is open just means that there is a service using this port to communicate.
So for hackers the only information is: there could be a service that I can try to attack. It is not possible to attack a port, you can only attack services.

Thanks bjm for putting me slightly more at ease about having an open port. I'll try to download a freeware utility that can help me determine what service is using that port. I think I already have one saved on a dvd somewhere :-)

Kudos0

Hello hok

Be careful where you search and how you search. Be aware of free programs and the other baggage some of them bring. Watch for things that are checked off for you.....

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

My son just got a computer from VM. That was his 2nd one. The first he had from Best Buy also. I'm on my 2nd computer made by them. The do have some lower price models also if you look at their site. You pick out the parts you want and it gives you a running price as you add components or change them..They sent me a new hard drive one time on the last day of my warrantee. They then sent a tech to my house to install it. He was only supposed to install the drive. He stayed here and installed a lot of my programs for me. He was here for hours. I was in a hurry to get that hard drive, so they over night expressed it for me. Take a look at their website. and see what you come up with..

Hi floplot :-)

Happy to hear you have a Velocity Micro family. Last I heard VM was in Virginia. Do you live near them or do they now have a network of service persons in other states. I never knew that VM would send out a tech to a home.

I already received and set-up My Acer Predator. It's fine and offers a lot for the money, though I have to admit I was shocked to see two PC2 connectors. I was able to find one USB>PC2 converter, but didn't need it since it has enough USB2 Ports to connect my powered keyboard and mouse to with a couple to spare. It has a couple of USB3 ports, but my understanding is that it's a no-no to connect keyboard and mouse to a USB3 port in Win 8.1 cuz the drivers don't load soon enough. (At least that was the case with the ASUS ROG GR20's.)

I have been using The Acer Predator/Gateway FX's for over 10 years and have been happy with them. They offer a lot for the money.

I will be checking out the VM site for sure.

My Acer cost $1,012 through Amazon with 2-day free shipping.

Here are the specs. I think a great deal for the price and their quality control has proven to be very good, except for the first model Predator that had to be recalled about 12 years ago because a lot of them were catching fire. 00

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor 3.4 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9 GHz (6MB Total Cache)
 Windows 8.1
 12GB DDR3 Memory (Will take a total of 32 GBs)
 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive
 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX760 Graphics
 Digital Media Card Reader -Secure Digital™ (SD) Card
 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
 Bluetooth® 4.0
 8X DVD-SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive
 Realtek High-Definition 5.1-Channel Audio Support
 4- USB 2.0 Ports (2 front, 2rear)
 4- USB 3.0 Port (2 front, 2 rear)
 1- HDMI™ Port
 2- DVI Ports

It's been a huge seller and highly rated by satisfied customers who bought one. I doubt I could come close to these specs with a Velocity Micro at less than $1,500 + shipping. The build quality, quality control/ pre-shipment testing, wiring layout, and service of Velocity Micro does not come cheaply :-)

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

Be careful where you search and how you search. Be aware of free programs and the other baggage some of them bring. Watch for things that are checked off for you.....

Yeah I know. I learned that the hard way last night when I downloaded the trial version of WinZip 7 and wound up with a browser home page/search engine hi-jacker :-)

Kudos0

Hello hok

They came to my apt. to replace my hard drive for a couple of reasons. #1. I do pay extra for 24/7 and home care service for the warrantee period. Usually my son does the part maintenance on our computers. With my luck, I was having a problem with my computer and I called them up. This was a few years ago. VM diagnosed the problem to be my hard drive. My sons had just left for a week's vacation. No way could I go without a computer for that long of a time. I paid a little extra for them to overnight express me the new hard drive. I live in NJ. They sent a tech person to my apt. after the hard drive arrived here. This tech guy came from NY city from another job. He didn't get here until like 8 PM. I had been waiting all day for him. He put in the new hard drive and installed my XP pro at the time... That was all he was supposed to do, but the guy was nice and installed almost everything. I had a back up program with everything that I needed backed up, but it was my son who knew how to restore it. I didn't know how and neither did this tech. I couldn't even find my mobo cd either, but he found it online. Back then, I knew how to install some stuff, but not everything. He installed my important stuff which back then was my online game and site. I could go on, but I will stop since this isn't about NS.  My current computer is 1 1/2 years old now. I would have to look for the specs for my computer....

Good luck with this new computer.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello hok

They came to my apt. to replace my hard drive for a couple of reasons. #1. I do pay extra for 24/7 and home care service for the warrantee period. Usually my son does the part maintenance on our computers. With my luck, I was having a problem with my computer and I called them up. This was a few years ago. VM diagnosed the problem to be my hard drive. My sons had just left for a week's vacation. No way could I go without a computer for that long of a time. I paid a little extra for them to overnight express me the new hard drive. I live in NJ. They sent a tech person to my apt. after the hard drive arrived here. This tech guy came from NY city from another job. He didn't get here until like 8 PM. I had been waiting all day for him. He put in the new hard drive and installed my XP pro at the time... That was all he was supposed to do, but the guy was nice and installed almost everything. I had a back up program with everything that I needed backed up, but it was my son who knew how to restore it. I didn't know how and neither did this tech. I couldn't even find my mobo cd either, but he found it online. Back then, I knew how to install some stuff, but not everything. He installed my important stuff which back then was my online game and site. I could go on, but I will stop since this isn't about NS.  My current computer is 1 1/2 years old now. I would have to look for the specs for my computer....

Good luck with this new computer.

Thanks for the info :-)

24/7 with in-home service is great.  I did not know they offered that. I wish I could get it with this ACER

Took a quick look at The VM site.

Glad I did . I had forgotten all the things they do that makes VM so good.

That Edge Z55 looks delicious, but the closest configuration to mine would be about $1,700, but it would it's a close call on whether it would be faster having a GTX 750 ti with 2GB ram. Comparing the 750 Ti to the OEM GTX 760 is difficult. The 760 has twice as many cuda cores but has .5 GB less Ram but the 750 ti has 20% faster clock speeds. Memory Band and Interface width is much greater on the 760. So it's a bit hard to figure out how it all washes out, but my guess is the 760 has a significantly faster texture fill rate. The processor on the VM is slightly faster and the whole machine is better tuned.The VM has a  7200 RPM SATA 600 HD with 64MB Cache vs 7200 SATA 3 with no cache specified on the ACER. The VN would have a little less but adequate and faster RAM.  It would def have a far faster DVD writer 24x vs my 8x. I am not that concerned about the Soundblaster card which cannot be eliminated and lower the cost, because I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD card that I will transfer to my new PC.

But that VM Edge Bad Boy can be configured to be a Total Kick Ass MOFO gaming rig for about $3,200 :-)  Thinking of selling my 1991 Honda Accord EX Coupe (with 73,000 original miles) right now and placing my order :-) I think if you put wings and a seat on that  Edge it could fly me to wherever I needed to go :-) Drafting a letter to the FAA now for approval.

Kudos0

I just had an interesting experience with my Open Port 554. I uninstalled NS. With the Windows Firewall there is no open port that is not stealthed.

I then installed Emisoft Internet Security 9. The Port 554 opened again and EMIS 9 does not stealth ports.

So maybe it's the cloud service on NS and EMSI 9 that keeps that port open. Dunno.

I like EMSI 9 a lot and believe it offers excellent protection. It also detects PUPs and never deletes a file without your permission. It quarantines all known and suspected malware.It's blocker is very good, but NS gives a bit better blocking with no user intervention and fewer false positives than EMSI 9.  EMSI is a much better on demand scanner and has a superior behavior blocker, but the damn program asks too many questions that you have to make decisions about to be set at it's best protection level and I find it a total pain in the butt, so I use NS :-)

I don't really care about on demand scanning or behavior blockers. I do care a lot about malware blocking since I spend hours every day on the net. Only Trend Micro comes close to NS as a blocker, but it has no firewall and has a noticeable heavy presence on your PC.

So when I get the time I'll be be reinstalling NS. I'll just assume that it's the NS cloud service that is using the 554 Port, and for some unknown reason , probably having something to do with a browser extension or other program or configuration on my PC it is not stealthed.

Kudos0

Hello hok

Any program that uses continuous streaming is going to keep that port open. Since you have no router, the NS firewall and program has to work harder also.

Kudos0

Hello hok

Any program that uses continuous streaming is going to keep that port open. Since you have no router, the NS firewall and program has to work harder also.

Huh???.... 

How did you figured out this??

By the way, if OP has no router how he connects to the internet?? ... by telepathy maybe??

Kudos0

Hello

He connects directly with the aid of a modem.... Duh.....

Kudos0

I had the same problem and managed to solve it

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

He connects directly with the aid of a modem.... Duh.....

You cannot connect to the internet by only using a WAN DSL modem unless it's a 54k dial-up integrated modem but OP does not have that...

Router is a "must have". (in corporate environments a Core Switch can accomplish that too).

Do you know what a modem does exactly??  I will give you a hint:  modulator/demodulator, how network packets can by routed that way??... unless you have discovered a new way, so please, share with us.

Also, your previous comment for port 554 is inaccurate, port 554 is not hotel's port/'door", so every app can take use of it on demand, it is reserved for a specific protocol/applications...

The question would be why NS does not "stealth" this port on OP's system, unless it's in constant use with/without OP's consent.

Kudos0

Apostolos:

You cannot connect by only using a WAN modem unless it's a  54k dial-up integrated modem but OP does not have that...Router is a "must have".

A modem (modulator/demodulator) was originally a device that took the analog signal of the phone line and converted it into a digital signal that a computer can understand. Now we use the term “modem” to mean any device that receives the raw signal from an Internet service provider and puts out a signal the computer and other devices can use.
fwiw ~ I had a DSL modem # wo a router.  

Kudos0

Hi bjm_,

" A modem (modulator/demodulator) was originally a device that took the analog signal of the phone line and converted it into a digital signal that a computer can understand. Now we use the term “modem” to mean any device that receives the raw signal from an Internet service provider and puts out a signal the computer and other devices can use."

Yes, it works both ways, to and from, the ISP.

Any home networking device has a modem integrated, also a router with NAT feature, if you can also connect more than one devices it has a switch function too and if it has a wireless feature it is also a wireless AP. (4 in 1 device).

There is a major difference between a modem and a router, modem has CSU/DSU functions and it converts the signal to a format acceptable to/from the WAN so pc can "read".

If you mean cable modems, they usually act as a gateway too and can be connected to a home router, if you need to set up a home network, or having better protection against viruses.

Kudos0

Hi Apostolos

afaik ~ hok only has a DSL modem. 
I did add a router to my ISP provided DSL modem. 

Might 554 be open via SkyDrive / OneDrive.  I had to blacklist the process as it was so darn persistent.  Or, other pre-installed bloat app.  I had to blacklist Windows Defender\mpcmdrun.exe and a few other darn persistent apps trying to execute.  I doubt I found them all....to many pre-installed store apps. 

Kudos0

afaik ~ hok only has a DSL modem.

... or he thinks so, again how network packets would be routed??

As for port 554 I explained that earlier. 

Kudos0

Hi hok

What progress ? 

Kudos0

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

This is hok's latest thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/i-dont-understand-open-port-554-again-only-ns

WOW !       Thanks..... 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.