• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

I really like NIS 2011 - very unsure about 2012

Hi all:

I don't get it.

With NIS 2011 everything was polished and easy to use. With NIS 2012, it would seem that everything is visually more complex and takes more effort to use. The feature set is nice, but I really can't understand why all of these enhancements could not be integrated into the existing GUI of 2011 (i.e.. Under the Hood.)

Here's some examples -

The help system is now cloud based and that is great, if you like dynamically updated web pages. However, once disconnected from the Internet, there is no help system. Even when connected you are subject to the speed whims of the Internet and Help Servers to render the pages. At the very least, NIS should detect that it is not connected and substitute a built-in .chm based help facility to assist.

I can't easily see when my last scans were run, now requiring me to take extra steps are look into History, rather than have it simply displayed in the GUI right in front of me. It was really nice just simply knowing when a scan was last run!

I can go on and on, yet I believe 2011 was the best release of NIS from Symantec. All that needed to be done was rework security logic and add a few nice features. The "eye candy" is overused. I am seriously considering going back to 2011 and be happier. Just look at all my prior posts and I think that you will understand my feelings.

Of course, I would not be writing this rant if I didn't want opinions...

Respectfully,

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."

Replies

Kudos0

Re: I really like NIS 2011 - very unsure about 2012

Hi all:

I don't get it.

With NIS 2011 everything was polished and easy to use. With NIS 2012, it would seem that everything is visually more complex and takes more effort to use. The feature set is nice, but I really can't understand why all of these enhancements could not be integrated into the existing GUI of 2011 (i.e.. Under the Hood.)

Here's some examples -

The help system is now cloud based and that is great, if you like dynamically updated web pages. However, once disconnected from the Internet, there is no help system. Even when connected you are subject to the speed whims of the Internet and Help Servers to render the pages. At the very least, NIS should detect that it is not connected and substitute a built-in .chm based help facility to assist.

I can't easily see when my last scans were run, now requiring me to take extra steps are look into History, rather than have it simply displayed in the GUI right in front of me. It was really nice just simply knowing when a scan was last run!

I can go on and on, yet I believe 2011 was the best release of NIS from Symantec. All that needed to be done was rework security logic and add a few nice features. The "eye candy" is overused. I am seriously considering going back to 2011 and be happier. Just look at all my prior posts and I think that you will understand my feelings.

Of course, I would not be writing this rant if I didn't want opinions...

Respectfully,

Kudos4 Stats

notice that you were not on the forum for the beginnings of NIS2011.  Things do change and it does take some time for all things to be fixed.  Since it was only released on the 7'th, how about giving it some time.

You can always go back to 2011 until you feel more of the "bugs" are worked out, but you will need to prepare for some changes.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

@delphinium:

In one of my first posts you did suggest that I sit on the sidelines with 2011 and wait a bit.

At this time, I think that NIS 2012 is Symantec's "Windows Vista" when compared with 2011.

Perhaps you are right and this is something that I truly need to reconsider.

Best,

Atomic_Blast

Kudos0

Hello

I have never liked going into any new program right away. That goes for windows programs, Symantec, even online games. Any and all programs always have bugs to work out in the beginning. Even windows updates that come out every month usually have revisions that come out during the month.. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I will agree that I dislike the online only help system and the lack of date and time of last scan on the main interface. Othan than those things I consider it an improvement over the 2011 version.

Kudos4 Stats

Hi A_B 

floplot replied-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things do change and it does take some time for all things to be fixed.  Since it was only released on the 7'th, how about giving it some time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floplot is right ........many years ago ...if a new software release started throwing up error flags , or displaying a few unexpected or unwanted glitches ....I used to " bale out " pretty quick . and sometimes uninstall and wait till the " ironing out " of the initial bugs was resolved ...then I'd tentatively return after a while and see if things had been fixed

Nowadays...I stick around...... and keep a finger on the pulse as it were......and that's exactly where community feedback has such an important part to play in "tweaking " the software and improving its' performance etc;

Reading all the varied posts, and seeing how various users are encountering different issues ,  just proves that things haven't changed ! Lots of people will state that the issues should be resolved whilst a product is in Beta stages ...It would be great if that were always the case .....but sadly it isn't ....and new releases of Windows...Linux.....and any software we care to mention...will always have some negatives to be dealt with .

When a product is released into the mainstream ....a much wider " user base " is bound to discover some varied issues that many other users will never ever see . Due to the vast number of machine configurations that newly released software has to contend with ....this scenario will always be with us .

It is precisely the fact that feedback from the user base has a valuable part to play in the "ironing out " procedures ...that makes it possible to resolve the annoyances that crop up .

Hope you  manage to stay with NIS2012 !

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHDDocendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)
Kudos0

Hello bleeper24

Thank you for expanding and explaining what I was trying to say in my brief post up above.. You explained it much more efficiently than  I did. and much better than I could have done..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

You can view when the scans were last run in Custom Scan.

Not as convenient as 2011 but more convenient than Security History.

Kudos0

Hi.

Computing is still in it's nacent phase. It's the new CB Radio.

Small productive changes are welcome, but when you have to work harder to obtain the same information, is that considered to be progress? I'm not so sure.

Atomic_Blast

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi all:

I have decided, with great reluctance, to stay with NIS 2012 and not revert back to NIS 2011.

If there are no major changes in 60 days, I will..

Thanks for your opinions.

Kudos0

Brilliant post bleeper24! 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

@bleeper24

Yes, your post is very logical.

Let's wait and see what happens.

The sole reason why i'm here is to voice my opinions on a product that I really like,

otherwise it would have already been ditched. There are alternatives.

Take care!

Kudos0

The changes you seek might find better exposure in the Product Suggestions board http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/bd-p/Suggestions

Kudos0

Atomic_Blast wrote:

Hi all:

I don't get it.

[...]

I'd suggest that the NIS 2012 product visual re-design is a precursor for the upcoming 'Norton One' service as described in the Press Release below:

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20110912_01

That's potentially the reason why that Norton have dropped the Windows-centric visual style of the existing NIS 2011 GUI. NIS 2012 introduces the 'Norton Management' feature into the product and, design-wise, visually unifies the interface of the NIS 2012 product with the external web-based Norton Management feature found here: https://manage.norton.com/  

Consequently, the new Windows-based NIS 2012 application interface design doesn't seem out-of-place, when compared, side-by-side with the Norton Management web-page, as shown in the screenshot below. The resulting interface consistency creates a seamless experience for the end-user.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.