• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Identity Safe

I am having problems with Identity Safe. For two days now I have called in and been given three different answers by three people.

Yesterday I was told it was a problem in the system and to wait 24 hours and it would fix. It hasn't.

Today I was told that it was my fault because I deleted my vault, all except for one login... I haven't. Different platforms are giving different numbers of logins, it is quite a mess.

Knowing this was not the case I was again told to wait 24 hours and everything would be back, and this is ongoing. I am not feeling over confident at this time. Anyone else having similar issues? I see a lot of us are having issues logging in, but nothing on NIS yet.

Can anyone offer any help with this, or is it just a wait and see situation?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe

Hello Vince

Are you asking about FF compatibility with Norton? If so, there is an Announcement in the Norton Toolbar Forum. Are you asking about your ID safe using FF48?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

No, this is different. Yesterday all of my logins, except for one, disappeared. Now it is intermittent as to whether or not I can log in, and sometimes I get error messages saying I can't log in.

The weird thing is that when I download my CSV it shows 16 rows, which matches the number of logins I have. However, the only one that has details is the one for Norton, which is the only one that shows up in the app. Also, another weird thing is that when I log in online (when it does let me in) it shows I have 5 logins saved, all in "other", but the wheel of infinity keeps spinning and never lets me see what they are.

Kudos0

Hello

What device are you using? What program are you using and the version number? Which browser are you using? What operating system.?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi Floplot,

I am using two android devices (a tablet and a phone), and on those I have one login show up.

I am also using Opera, although I have also used Chrome and Mozilla to log in on the web, and on those when I do get to log in it says I have 5 logins, but the spinning wheel keeps spinning and the page never fully loads.

On the app on my computer it shows I have one login, although when I download the CSV is shows there are 16 logins, but only has information, the rest are just commas.

I am not sure how to find the version, but it says it is the latest version and I am using it on Windows 8.1.

I would appreciate any thoughts you have. I should have created an update really but there are some passwords I don't know and don't have backed up elsewhere. I haven't had an issue with Norton in many years and didn't really see the point.

Vince

Kudos0

@VinceJ we apologize for the inconvenience created,it was intermittent issue from the mobile platform .Now the issue has been sorted out.Kindly request you to login now on your android device and check if your vault shows same no.of data as like the other clients.Please update if the issue is sorted now.

Kudos0

Hi Thilak,

Sadly no change. There is only one login on the mobile platform, and when I try to log in on the web I get this message: 

"Error! An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support."

This is the same message I have been getting since yesterday afternoon.

Vince

Kudos0

Hello Vince

Please turn off Fast Startup on your computer, also Adblock Plus if you use that. Restart and let  us know if that has helped.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks Floplot, but sadly no dice.

I have logged in on three browsers (Opera, Firefox, and Chrome) as well as the software on my laptop. I have also logged in on my Android phone on two separate browsers and the app. No change. All browsers, whether on my phone or the laptop have the exact same message as above.

The laptop software and the Android app both show one login, and the CSV file is still showing 16 logins, but only info for one of them.

Thank you for your help with this, it is greatly appreciated.

Vince

Kudos0

I had a similar problem when I tried installing ID Safe on my Android phone. And somehow my vault got screwed up, losing logins.

As it is an online vault, you should have a backup in your Documents folder on your PC. Look for a folder named Norton Identity Safe Backups. Within that folder you will see a folder with your email address for your Norton account. Inside that folder should be the backups that you can import into the vault. Look for the one with the newest date and Import it in ID Safe Settings on the PC.

This should bring things back in line between all devices. You may have to tap on the refresh icon on the Android devices to sync to the fixed vault.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you Peter. I did try that but the issue with that is that I have only ever used this as a web-based thing, and only downloaded the software for this after the problem had happened. It is on this software that I can download the CSV file which shows 16 logins, but 15 of them are just commas. It's all very weird.

The fact it shows 16 logins tells me the info is out there somewhere, just not being able to find a link between the server and whatever path it takes to make the information useful.

I appreciate the help though. I also looked on my tablet and found a file called mid.dat that I made a copy of, but it doesn't seem to have the info on it I am looking for.

Also, I am still unable to log in on the web, which indicates that different areas are unable to talk to each other on the server end. I am not sure I can cause all this downloading an app - or at least I hope not. :)

Vince

Kudos0

Did you look for the backup folder in your Documents folder on the PC? That should have valid backups from before you started having problems with the mobile devices.

Without knowing exactly what process you used recently on the Android devices, you may have not meant to delete your vault contents, but with the problems the last few days, you may have unknowingly done so. As I noted above that this happened to me.

Kudos0

I did check, the only backup is from after it happened when I downloaded the software onto my computer. I think the backups are for the software, not the web based vault.

I had to wipe my phone due to a camera issue and downloaded the app again. I logged in without issue, did not set up a new account and did not enter the wrong password for vault. I did enter the wrong password for Norton account a couple of times, but that should not impact the vault, and just stops you from logging in for a while. I didn't enter the wrong one enough times to get locked out, I think it was twice.

The only thing that gives me hope is that when I download the CSV is shows the correct number of logins, but does not show any information. I am confident they are there.

Vince

Kudos0

When you say you download the CSV, are you referring to doing an Export from your IDSafe feature on the PC? If so, whatever is showing there is what is in your vault.

What do you see if you log into the ID Safe web site at   https://identitysafe.norton.com

BTW. Have you restarted your computer since this all started?

Kudos0

Yes, the export is the CSV file I am talking about. The one log in that shows up (Norton) is line 12, 1-11 and 13-16 show a series of commas. This indicates to me (although I admit I am in no way a computer expert) the information is out there, just not able to be translated from one system to another.

When I log in I get the error message "Error! An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support.". It does not matter which browser I use, and have tried on 5 different browsers (maybe more at this time) and always the same response. This again suggest there is an issue with information not being available between two (or more) separate systems as I can log in from an app.

I have restarted my computer multiple times.

Based on the log in problem alone I am convinced the problem is not on my computer or my phone. I get the same thing from everywhere.

UPDATE: One other thing I forgot to mention. When I can log into the website it says I have 5 logins, all listed under "Other", but it will not allow access to them. I simply get the spinning wheel of infinity, but not actual loading on the page. It is doing this right now. This again suggests there are more logins in the system than just the one, although it isn't the 16 that should be there.

Kudos0

This also suggests that there are problems with the servers. At this point, I would wait until sometime Tuesday afternoon as it is a long weekend in the US. 

There are a number of users with issues with the ID Safe, and as Norton Employee Thilak has posted here, he will see notifications for the posts we have made.

How long have you had the online vault on your PC?

Kudos0

I think you are right, Peter. I have had it for years. Not sure exactly, but a long time. This isn't a new thing at all. This is the first issue I have had with it. Until now I have only accessed on my phone/tablet app and the web. I didn't know a backup was possible, and in truth, because of a lack of problems never even thought to check.

Kudos0

That might explain why you have no backups available. They are only made while you are logged into Identity Safe from your PC's Norton product. Not the web site. I sure hope that things will sort out with the servers, and that you have not lost your logins.

'Fortunately', you only have 16 to try to remember/recreate if they have indeed been lost from the online vault. And in the future, you will know to make sure your have a backup, just in case.

Let us know if you have any change in your situation.

Kudos0

Now that is something I did not know. I am pretty sure I have added ones in before that have shown up. It is possible the 5 that are showing up as being present are ones I added online. I wonder why it would be possible to add them if they aren't able to show up. I still can't access to see what is happening.

The only real downer is that I have encrypted files that I don't have the password for, the rest I can change and backup elsewhere in case this happens again. These files however are lost if the password doesn't come back. My fault I suppose but I figured Norton would do the backing up and like I said, never had an issue and didn't know I could do it myself.

Kudos0

Now that is something I did not know. I am pretty sure I have added ones in before that have shown up. It is possible the 5 that are showing up as being present are ones I added online. I wonder why it would be possible to add them if they aren't able to show up. I still can't access to see what is happening.

Are you referring to my comments on the backup running only from the PC? That has nothing to do with when a new login is added to the vault. They will be added from any device you are using that is logged into the vault.

For your encrypted files. Had you saved the password in the Notes section?

Kudos0

Yes, sorry - I see that I misread your comment.

I didn't save them elsewhere. I genuinely never thought I would need to. I have naively trusted that the system would be secure and reliable. I have learned a valuable lesson here, whether they come back or not.

Vince

Kudos0

Update: Three weeks on and I have had more people in and out of my computer than I can remember. I have been promised by everyone that they would fix my problem, and then not fix it. I have been told to wait "24 hours", "48 hours" and "a few days", which I have patiently done. I have had things installed, uninstalled and reinstalled on my computer. Even though I explain the issue is on the web based service and happens across every browser and device, everyone still insists on getting into my computer. No one listens to the problem, everyone does exactly the same thing, with exactly the same results.
The only exception was the guy today who proudly let me know that he had now been able to log me into Norton, having spent almost an hour of digging in my computer. Yeah - that wasn't the issue and he took up an hour of my life fixing a problem that didn't exist. Well done, Norton. At this stage I am at the point where I am wondering if it is so difficult to look after fifteen lines of text, what hope do they have actually keeping my computer safe from an actual, real-life cyber-threat?

Kudos1 Stats

I had a problem that did not allow me to login to connect to the Norton Server nor my Identity Safe Vault, it took some time to fix it but the representative was able to correct it even when our communication got disconnected. I did not had the opportunity to give my thanks to it. My other laptop had the same and it corrected it self after an internal product check and update.This is what differs Norton from other products.

J. D. Mercado

Kudos0

Hello @VinceJ - I'm sorry to learn about the experience you had with IDSafe and I'd like to see if we can help. I've left you a Private Mail, which you can access through the Community header.

Thanks,
Matt

Kudos0

Update: Last Monday I was called by someone in tier 2 tech support. I told him I was not near a computer and he said he would call back when I was. I explained that more people have been in my computer repeating the same steps over and over than I can recall. I also explained that there are no Norton products on my computer, there is nothing to dig into, and I now have no Norton products (even though I paid for them) on any device at all.

He said that as we have been through the trouble shooting steps multiple times there is no need to dig into my computer anymore and that I would receive a call within 48-72 hours. That was last Monday. Still nothing...

Kudos0

Hi @VinceJ - I've dropped you a PM. 

Thanks,

Matt

Kudos0

UPDATE: Three months on and still nothing. Everyone wants to get into my computer, a new laptop that has no Norton products on it, and never has had a Norton product on it. I keep being promised a call from senior techs, but it never happens. The problem is on every computer, it is verified a server issue that keep saying is fixed, but is clearly not. It is not on my computer alone. I have no Norton products on any of my devices anymore. Does anyone have anything that can offer some hope on this?

Kudos0

Hello VinceJ

Did you receive the Private Message from matt-Phillips. a Symantec Employee? Please see his post right above yours which he made to you in Oct. Here is the post he left for you on Oct.4th.

Hi @VinceJ - I've dropped you a PM. 

Thanks,

Matt

You can access the Private Message in the Inbox which is found on the top right hand side of any page of the site. It has a picture of an envelope on it.

I am going to notify matt again to reach out to you.

Thanks.

Hello matt

VinceJ is back with an update. Please read his latest post and reach out to him again.

Thanks.

@matt_phillips

Kudos0

I did respond to him and we chatted a bit. Have sent a couple of messages recently but heard nothing. I am not sure if he is still with Norton/different job/on vacation or leave etc...

Kudos0

Hello VinceJ

It's the weekend now, so no messages will be responded to now from matt.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Matt is quite legendary and did respond earlier. He is still working on it. Glad he hasn't disappeared.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.