• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

I have NA 2009 16.8.0.41 and the idle full system scan starts even if I am using my computer, and will not stop and resume as it is supposed to do. In the past, the scan would only run when idle, and if I interrupted it by using my computer, it would stop and then resume when idle again. Any ideas on what is happening? Thanks in advance.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Hi Mike852,


Try to update your NAV 2009 to the latest version - NAV 2010(17.5) and check whether the problem persists. You can use the Norton Update Center:

http://updatecenter.norton.com/


After installing and activating NAV 2010, run LiveUpdate repeatedly until you receive all the available updates. Then run a Full System Scan. Let us know the results.


Yogesh

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

The new update may have changed the prior scan pattern.  It may continue to run until the first full idle time scan is completed, and then go back to a normal pattern.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Hello

When I got the 16.8.0.41 update, my idle full system scan came on just like it should have. Nothing changed with the behavior of it that I could see. All I have to do is move my mouse and the scan will stop and then resume when idle again.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.9.63 Core Firmware 288 Android App 2.22 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

I don't really want to switch to NAV 2010, It seemed to bog down my system. NAV 2009 should work like it is supposed to. It used to work correctly in the past. Isn't their a file or something that I can rebuild or do I have to do a reinstall?

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Yea mine used to do that too. Anyone else have any ideas?

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle


mike852 wrote:

I don't really want to switch to NAV 2010, It seemed to bog down my system. NAV 2009 should work like it is supposed to. It used to work correctly in the past. Isn't their a file or something that I can rebuild or do I have to do a reinstall?


Normally v2010 is much lighter but if you want to stick with v2009 you might want to consider a reinstall indeed

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Anybody else have any ideas? I don't want to give up yet. Thanks.

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Don't give up.

Best two options are reinstall or upgrade to 2010

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Bot Obliterator said:

Don't give up.

Best two options are reinstall or upgrade to 2010


No, I think there would be a better solution if I could get a hold of someone who knew their stuff.

Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle

Hello mike852

You could try a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes and see if there might be some malware that is causing this problem, if you don't want to reinstall. What do you call not idle?

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.9.63 Core Firmware 288 Android App 2.22 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Idle full system scan runs when the computer is not idle


floplot wrote:

Hello mike852

You could try a full scan with the free version of Malwarebytes and see if there might be some malware that is causing this problem, if you don't want to reinstall. What do you call not idle?

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is a safer location to get the program from than malwarebytes themselves because some malware creators have large lists of sites that they block. Please be careful to down load the correct program ----the FREE version of MALWAREBYTES

(Thanks to Delph for providing the alternative site)


It means when I am using my computer, a pop-up will show above the system tray that says, "Norton is performing a background task-full system scan." The only way I can get it to stop is if I enable silent mode. The idle full system scan is supposed to run when the computer is idle, not when I am using it. This kind of behavior started happening when I did a complete OS reinstall. After the OS reinstall, I had to use an old version of NAV 2009 until the new update was available. I was thinking that the update would fix the problem, but it didn't. Could a new hard drive somehow cause this problem? 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.