• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Is I.E.8 compatable with NISS 2009/10=it's downloaded/not installed but have concerns

Hello -  I.E. 6/SP3  Outlook Express/NISS 2009

well i posted 'thanks' yesterday to all who helped me get the courage to upgrade to SP 3, installed yesterday...now i need your help again!

I know i should also upgrade to IE8 .

Have this new problem .... Had reminders pop=up to downlowd IE8 ..yesterday instead of hitting 'cancel' on the reminder, i hit ''download' !!  and it did !!!

it's 'somewhere' sitting in my computer now but i can't find it ...not showing in add/remove /control panel or ''search''!! 

Always thought when downloading from Microsoft it would be alright to disable the A/V which i didn't do - i was caught off-guard....also had other programs running and now i'm worried that the 'download' of IE 8 might not have been a 'clean' one.  (and it didn't take long at all ! 

It is showing when i go to tools/windows update as 'downloaded, ready to install''

I thought that i would get the option to 'run now' or 'save to disc' with the program sitting on my desktop(default destination) for future install - didn't happen!

Can i find it (if you can tell me how) and hit the 'delete' button, get it out of my computer  and download it 'fresh' another time? 

If you feel it still was a 'clean' download inspite of what i just stated can it 'sit' in my computer until i'm ready to do the install...? 

Are there any issues with NISS 2009/10  with either 7 or 8 ?  (i know - i should upgrade to NISS 2010 also)

Many thanks in advance .... Edythe

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Is I.E.8 compatable with NISS 2009/10=it's downloaded/not installed but have concerns

Hello EDYTHE,

I would not be concerned about the integrity of the IE8 download. I do not switch off Auto-Protect when performing Windows updates.  The only time you might want to do that is during the installation of a Service Pack.

When downloading updates from Microsoft, part of the process verifies the download, so I have no reason to believe you have a bad download.

You can let the download sit where it is until you are ready to install it. However, IE8 has a number of security enhancements, so sooner would be better than later.

A note for when you install: Even though the download was quick, the installation will take a bit of time, so don't be concerned.

There are no issues running IE8 with NIS 2009 or NIS 2010.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Re: Is I.E.8 compatable with NISS 2009/10=it's downloaded/not installed but have concerns

Phil_D wrote:

Hello EDYTHE,

I would not be concerned about the integrity of the IE8 download. I do not switch off Auto-Protect when performing Windows updates. NO, I DON'T EITHER I JUST THOUGHT DOWNLOADS OF AN ENTIRE 'PROGRAM' LIKE I.E.8 WOULD REQUIRE THAT  The only time you might want to do that is during the installation of a Service Pack.  O.K. I DID JUST THAT WHEN I INSTALLED THE SP3 PACK ... BUT NOW THAT I.E. 8  SHOWING IN MY WINDOWS UPDATE /TOOLS,  AND IT'S SHOWING AS ''DOWNLOADED, READY TO INSTALL'' ''CLICK HERE TO INSTALL'' ...., COULD  I DO ANY PRE-INSTALL ROUTINES AS I DID WITH SP3 I.E. FULL A/V SCAN/DISK CHECK DISK /CLEAN DISK/DEFRAG/RESTART /DISCONNECT FROM INTERNET/DISABLE A/V THEN DO THE INSTALL ?  EVEN IF 'NOT' NECESSARY, IF IT GIVES ME PEACE OF MIND COULD I DO ALL OF THIS ?  LOL

When downloading updates from Microsoft, part of the process verifies the download, so I have no reason to believe you have a bad download.  O.K.

You can let the download sit where it is until you are ready to install it. However, IE8 has a number of security enhancements, so sooner would be better than later.  O.K.

A note for when you install: Even though the download was quick, the installation will take a bit of time, so don't be concerned. OH WOW-THANKS FOR MENTIONING THIS .... I DIDN'T KNOW SP3 WOULD TAKE SUCH A LONG INSTALL TIME -- I THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG - BUT IT EVENTUALLY INSTALLED SUCCESSFULLY (SCREEN STATED AS MUCH)...  

AFTER THIS, NEXT 'BIGGIE' IS INSTALL OF NISS 2010...LOL  

There are no issues running IE8 with NIS 2009 or NIS 2010. MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!   EDYTHE

Kudos2 Stats

Hello EDYTHE,

Although not required, if you feel more comfortable following your routine, then feel free to do so.

Once IE8 has installed, you will be prompted to configure / customize it.  The directions are straightforward.

One item which I find useful is the accelerator feature. I do not enable all of them, but I find a few to be useful. For example, with the Search accelerator, you can highlight a word or phrase on a web page and perform an internet search without leaving the current page.

Best wishes for your installation!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi! Edythe,

When installing IE 8 leave your computer connected to the internet; during the installation process the IE 8 installer downloads more updates for itself.  After you complete the installation you'll be prompted to restart your computer  after doing so feel free to run the previously listed maintenance items.  You can run maintenance anytime you wish to; this includes before and/or after installing an update; just be sure to follow any onscreen prompts from the update's installer befroe performing any other tasks after the installation procedure completes (specifically if the update requests a system restart to complete the installation).  Phil_D offers good insight into IE 8; so I believe everything will go fine.

Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

Hello EDYTHE,

Although not required, if you feel more comfortable following your routine, then feel free to do so. O.K. I WOULD FEEL BETTER - I'M A BELT/SUSPENDERS PERSON ...LOL ... FORGOT TO ASK!!!   DO I UNINSTALL I.E.6 FROM CP/ADD-REMOVE?  OR DOES I.E. 8 INSTALL OVER IT ?

Once IE8 has installed, you will be prompted to configure / customize it.  The directions are straightforward.

One item which I find useful is the accelerator feature. I do not enable all of them, but I find a few to be useful. For example, with the Search accelerator, you can highlight a word or phrase on a web page and perform an internet search without leaving the current page. THAT IS AMAZING !!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP ... WON'T DO THIS UNTIL THE WEEKEND WHEN I CAN DEVOTE TIME ...BUT I'LL TRY AND BE BRAVE- LOL ...REGARDS, EDYTHE  

Best wishes for your installation!

Kudos0

Hello EDYTHE,

Leave IE6 in place. IE8 will install over it.

Kudos0

Hello to Phil D and  Tech 83

Thanks for helping yet again ... i will do the install now that you both clarified the IE install questions i had .... Best regards to you both !!     Edythe

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.