• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

I'm Using SEP 12.1 Changed the settings now it blocks everything.

Been using Symantec end point 12.1 for years recently got a trojan horse gen 2 virus past it. I installed McAffee security center version 15.4. Got the virus removed and the system has shown clean in several scans but End point started blocking everything. I tried resetting everything, even tried uninstalling end point but I don't have the password for it anymore. As soon as I turn end points Fire wall ON it blocks everything won't allow me to connect to the internet blocks my browsers. Is uninstalling end point my only solution? Can both fire walls work together? How do I uninstall it?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: I'm Using SEP 12.1 Changed the settings now it blocks everything.

These forums are dedicated to Norton consumer products.  For SEP, you should post your issue to the enterprise product forum:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/security/forums/endpoint-protection-ant...

Kudos0

To sort out the SEP questions the Symantec forums SendOfJive links to should be used.

As for running two security programs at the same time, that is a definite no no. They can conflict with each other and may be causing your problems with everything being blocked. I would start by uninstalling McAfee using the uninstall tool from here.  

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

peterweb:

As for running two security programs at the same time, that is a definite no no. They can conflict with each other and may be causing your problems with everything being blocked. I would start by uninstalling McAfee using the uninstall tool from here.  

Peter,

It looks like that is only for home consumer products, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Peter,

It looks like that is only for home consumer products, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Good point. I'm reading too fast again.  

Sam Watkins001  My point about having 2 AVs at one time is still valid. You need to fully remove one or the other with their removal tool.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Both AVs seemed to be working OK together until recently. SEP was giving me warnings while I was surfing the internet and I heeded them but I had the settings on half way "Typical" and a Trojan Gen 2 got past it. The Trojan was apparently a temp file that got in through the browser. I agree that trying to run two AVs is a bad idea but I'm not convinced that it allowed the virus to get past it. I checked widows security and it said my computer was being protected by both SEP and McAfee. I know windows Defender wont work with the McAfee. I was able to uninstall SEP and have been told that McAfee will do the job since I installed McAfee after the infection happened I guess I'll see. Thanks for all the comments I guess we are done.

Kudos1 Stats

If you search, I doubt you will find any recommendations to run two real time scanning security software at the same time. Most if not all security vendors strongly recommend against it. You may not have seen any conflicts with the 2 running, but the problem is that you only know there is a problem when some malware gets onto your system that should have been caught by one or the other.

It could be because you were running the two that the trojan got into your system. What can happen is that it gets through while the 2 AVs are fighting over who will control the malware.

Another thing you need to know is that it is not recommended to install a security software on an infected machine. So If you installed McAfee while you think your system was infected, your McAfee installation could in theory be corrupted by the malware, and not fully protecting you.

Kudos0

I agree with what the others have said. It's best to stick to one AV just as is recommended. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.