• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Import/backup of Identity safe in Norton 360 2013

I  have been using Norton products for many years now, and started using Norton 360 last year with no real problems, especially using the identity safe. I was always able to back up a ID safe to a local drive on my PC or a thumb drive as a DAT file, and had no problem importing it, if need be. My PC crashed seriously the other day, and I set up a new PC, installed Norton 360 with no problems. I went to import my DAT file to the new N360 install, but in the ID safe setup or config window, there is no option to either import or export this file. The only option that is given, is to download the ID vault from thate great "cloud" I DID set up a vault the other day, but at this time, I do not remember it's password, and I had it backed up in my ID safe locally, (DUH!) I had only one log on entered into that vault anyway when I first set it up.

By the way, this issue is on a PC with Windows 8, 64 bit edition.

Isn't there anyway to do a local import of the DAT file, which I have available on a thumb drive, to a new installation of Norton 360? I have the same version of N360 on another machine, also with the latest updates, and it does have the import and export options on the screen. Please help me. I have read the other (resolved) thread on the ID safe, but the link with the screenshots, etc. has different screens than I have, and looks like a different Symantec product.

Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Import/backup of Identity safe in Norton 360 2013

Hi BobL43,

Not sure I follow you totally, but if you have installed N 360,and have created a vault on it, you need to sign into your vault, and once logged in the Import Option will appear.  If you are not logged into your vault, you can not Import.

That said - you mentioned forgetting your password after setting up a new vault.  That password is not recoverabl, noe=r changeable without being signed in - which you apparently can not do as you do not know the current password.

I would suggest you go to  Settings > Identity Protection > Identitiy Safe Setup  > Configure[+] and create a new password, and then try to open your "new Vault", sign in and then your shold see the Import option under Settings> Identity Protection.

Please let us know if I do understand the situation and if the info assisted you.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank,

I remembered my vault password. Thankfully  I am currently at work; when I get home, I will try logging on to my (online) vault while in the ID safe setup/configure screen, and see if that gets me a starting point to go with, and then import my data from my thumbdrive.

Sorry I was not very clear with what I wrote before, but I tried my best to explain it. If I still cannot get it to work the way I expect, I will try to post a (1 or more) screen shots to show my dilemma.

When I created my online vault, I somehow expected my N360 to automatically load all my logins to the online vault. That did not happen, so when I got to work that day, I logged into my online vault with my Ipod Touch successfully and manually entered just one login, which  just used to log onto a website. I wish I never created the online vault right now, as I feel this is why I am where I am right now. Does having an  established online vault cause a new N360 installation  and registering it to my Symantec account, disable the Import and Export choices?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi BobL43,

Thanks for the explanation - hopefully, now that you remembered your password, you'll be able to use the vault you have already created.  Please remember that in order to log into your Online Vault, you must first be logged into yor Norton Account.  Once you are logged into your Norton Account, you must then log into your Online Vault.

Once you get home, Left click on Vault Closed on the Norton Toolbar.   You will see one of two things - a request to log into your Norton Account.  BTW - you sholdl not have to bother with the ID Safe setup confiure screen - that was only if you had to create a new password - which yo ow do not have to do as yo rememebred your password.

or, if you are already logged into your Norton Account, you'll see an option to log into your ID Safe (Onloine).  Please note, I have blacked out my user name (for privacy reasons).  Also I have both a Local and and Online Vault, that is why I have the option to sigbn into a Local Vault.  If all you have is the Online Vault, then the Local Vault sign in option will not be available.

once you enter your ID Safe Vault password, you should see the Vault Closed change to Vault Open and by left clicking on it will provide a drop downmenu which will include Import.  You shoujld then be able to Import your DAT file at this time.

This can also be done with the user interface under Settings. 

Normally when you uninstall/reinstall N 360, it will retain the log-ins - but in the case of a new system, you will have to Import them.  Luckily you did the smart thing and Exported them - just in case!

Please keep us posted.

Kudos1 Stats

Yank - Just my 2 cents...

Looking back at his original post, I think it may be that he lost his local vault option since it was a clean Norton install that got him here...

"My PC crashed seriously the other day, and I set up a new PC, installed Norton 360 with no problems."

Since he had previously also created an online vault and subsequently accessed it with his iPad, he had to first either remember the online credentials to access it or abandon it for a new online vault.  However, now that he has remembered the login, he should be able to successfully import his .DAT file into his online vault.  But I don't see how he will be able to reestablish a local vault at this point without first regressing to a 2012 version to recreate it.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi John,

I thought I had explained that he could try to Import it with his "remembered" password - I was just trying to avoid confusion on his part if he is not totally aware of the Online Vault requirements to log in.  Was I not clear in my directions - I thought it was OK??

I agree 100% in regards to the Local Vault, and once we get the Import accomplished we'll worry about getting the Local Vault back - if he desires it. 

I may be a bit old fashioned, but I believe in getting the immdeiate problem solved (getting his vault Imported) before we worry about other "nice to have features".   

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Yes it worked exactly like you said, and then I was able to import the ID safe from my thumb drive. However, the thumb drive did not have the latest backup of my logins. I pulled the hard drive out of my old PC (which either the motherboard or power supply failed. I will be hooking up this old drive to my new PC with an external drive adapter. Are you able to tell me, if I can access the hard drive, where in the file system this data is normally stored? It is locked with my same password, so if I can copy some info to my new PC, I may be able to be right back in full operation. Well, maybe that is true when I overcome the learning curve of Windows 8! If you tell me that is not possible, (the files copy), then I will accpt this issue as being resolved.

Also, being that my old PC crashed and I did not have the opportunity to uninstall N360, which I thought would allow me to install again on a new PC, When I registered it with my CD key, it accepted it. I had already had my 3 installs. Not complaining, that worked out well for me. I am legal with 3 installs

Thanks again!

Kudos1 Stats

OK BobL43, so far so good.

You can have a look here when you get the old HDD hooked up:

Since we are not aware of your olf operating system, I'll provide dual locations for your attempt to retreive the logins.

Please be advised the numbers behind the N 360_ may be slightly different. Also the S-1-5-21 is a random generated number and the ending of it may be different from what I have shown below.

As you know, when you try to Import, you must be logged into the Vault in order to see the Import function.

XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_20.1.0.24\IdentitySafeDataStore

In Vista/Win 7:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_20.1.0.24\IdentitySafeDataStore\S-1-5-21-1845553030-3031872880-4008053321-1001\

1. Copy the Identity Safe data folder to a new folder in a convenient location on your computer.
2. In the Identity Safe Settings Window select Import Data > Configure [+]
3. In the Import Identity Safe Data window, 'Browse' to the new folder you just created in step 1
4. Double click the folder to open it and select the file IDDStore2 > Open.
5 .Under 'While importing data', select 'Merge with existing data' and click OK. You may be prompted to enter the password for the old data.
6. If you have changed any login credentials for a particular site since the older data was created, you will be presented with a Data Conflict window. Select which login version you wish to keep and click OK.
7. OK your way out and check that the merged logins have been added and are working.

As a matter of explanation, you'll be copying the ID Safe Data folder from the old HDD to a new folder on your Win 8 desktop if that is possible - or you may be able in this suituation to copy it to a new folder you create on your USB drive.

The Import would be done from the N 360 you have on your WIn 8 system - browsing to the folder on your dektop or the USB drive  depending on which one works for you.

You'll notice you  are importing the file - not the entire folder - this connfuses some folks.

As I said, I'm not even sure this will work with the external HDD - but think it may be worth a try - or perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Let us know how things work out.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Well it worked out just great! Rather than do the merge of data, (which I did try first and it worked, but I redid it anyway), I finally used the "use all new data and delete the old data" option. Both options created a bunch of new folders which contained all my logins, but the automatic  interpreter of what logins belong in what folder are funny! For instance, my work email address login, which has nothing to do with drinking, went into an "Alcohol" folder. But then again, my company's name does have "martini" included in the name. Funny. I tried moving logins from some of the folders, but that got to be a mess, so I just did a new import and left it the way it created everything, and it works just great no matter what. I was able to drill down to the folder on my old hard drive to exactly where you said it would be in Windows 7 without any problem at all. This little ANKER adapter I bought fom Amazon is amazing for 20 bucks. I had data transfer rates as high as 100MB/second showing oin the histogram that Win8 displays on file copies. I REALLY appreciate your help on this!

How/ where do I cloick to accept your last post as the solution? I don't see that option at this time

: AH! now that my Identity safe is working again, I see I found my old login to the community, and the Vault logged me into THAT one, so I had no "solution" option.  When I posted my original question, I created a new login to the community.

Thanks again!

Kudos0

OK BobL27 - a little more magic??

On the Norton Toolbar, left click Vault Open > Settings > Browsing Options > and uncheck Autocategorize Logins > Apply  > OK.   This will get rid of all the folders that the logins go into.

Should you still want the folders, here's some more info comppliments of prasanna_a  who is a Norton employee who has provided outstanding assistance with the ID Safe and it's workings. 

When Auto-categorization is ON:

-> You will not be able to move the logins from folder to root (meaning not into any folder)

-> You can create your own folder

->You can move the logins between auto categorized folder to your own new folder

-> You cannot delete the auto-categorized folders

When Auto-Categorization is OFF:

-> You can move any logins to the root

->You can create folders and swap logins between them

If any of these are not happening to you or you see it go wrong, please start a new thread and we'll go from there.

Which post do you want marked as the Solution - I can change it if you really want it changed.

You are very welcome for the assistance and I am glad it all worked out!

Kudos0

Yes Yank, that got it back the way I like it. Thanks to you and prassana_a !

Wow, how do you get to know this stuff, unless you wrote the code? 

I am thankful it is resolved, no need to change the post for the solution location. BobL27 and BobL43 are both me. Sorry I had to create another ID to post here, but I told you why in one of my previous posts.

Kudos1 Stats

BobL27 wrote:

Yes Yank, that got it back the way I like it. Thanks to you and prassana_a !

Wow, how do you get to know this stuff, unless you wrote the code? 

I am thankful it is resolved, no need to change the post for the solution location. BobL27 and BobL43 are both me. Sorry I had to create another ID to post here, but I told you why in one of my previous posts.

You are welcome for the assistance and glad you got everything to your liking.

I get to know this stuff (without writing the code) through being here trying to assist daily, reading quite a few posts on here on different topics and as a result having other volunteers share their knowledge as well as  Norton employees who come on here to assist and my book marking the fixes to ensure I repeat them accurately.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.