• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Incompatability between NIS 2008 anti-phishing and QuickBooks online edition

My mom uses QuickBooks Online Edition and for awhile now she's had this problem where she can't download an excel documents from that site unless she disables the phishing protection in NIS 2008. Since all work on that site is exported as an excel document, it basically breaks the functionality of that site.

There is no indication of anything being blocked, excel files simply can't be downloaded when the antiphishing feature is enabled.

I'll also note that QuickBook support's recommendation is to "disable the 'Norton-Confidential' addon in Internet Explorer's addons manager" which is not really the best recommendation, but it does show that they are aware of the issue.

Finally my mom also complained about the same problem at https://www.myclientline.net/ when trying to download a pdf file.

Message Edited by Morac on 05-14-2008 04:34 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Incompatability between NIS 2008 anti-phishing and QuickBooks online edition

Hi Morac

Thanks for your post. It sounds like phishing protection is blocking downloads from the site. This is unusual. Typically phishing protection will alert you to a danger but not block. Have you set the program rules for QuickBooks Online Edition to "Allow". To do this, perform the following:

1. Open NIS 2008
  2. Select the Norton Internet Security tab
  3. Select Personal Firewall under the Web Browsing
  4. Select Configure
  5. Select Progrm Rules
  6. Look for the Quickbook executibles in the program rule list. (like QBW32.exe and QBUPDATE.exe)
  7. Set these to "Allow"
  8. Save settings by selecting 'OK'
  9. Re-try downloading from the Quickbook site.
Kudos0

Re: Incompatability between NIS 2008 anti-phishing and QuickBooks online edition

I don't think Quick Books Online actually installs software on the PC.  I think it runs entirely within Internet Explorer, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  I sent the steps above to my Mom, so I'll have to see what happens.  I can't remember if I tried that or not.  

I did find that disabling the firewall had no effect at all, only disabling the anti-phishing filter setting (or the Norton ActiveX component in IE7) did.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.