• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Installed NIS2012 and have a question

So I first uninstalled NIS2011 and after that used ccleaner and restarted my PC, even though it wasn't necessary, then installed NIS2012, and here is my question; NIS2012 detected somehow I have a working license for the program and inserted it automaticly, no problem with that, I think it's cool but how the hell does NIS2012 pick up the key, I had uninstalled NIS2011 and removed everything even my settings and so ?

Anyway, NIS2012 looks and feels great.. congrats SYMANTEC.. YOU'RE A TRUE WINNER!!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Installed NIS2012 and have a question

So I first uninstalled NIS2011 and after that used ccleaner and restarted my PC, even though it wasn't necessary, then installed NIS2012, and here is my question; NIS2012 detected somehow I have a working license for the program and inserted it automaticly, no problem with that, I think it's cool but how the hell does NIS2012 pick up the key, I had uninstalled NIS2011 and removed everything even my settings and so ?

Anyway, NIS2012 looks and feels great.. congrats SYMANTEC.. YOU'RE A TRUE WINNER!!!

Kudos1 Stats

The license information is never removed. Unless you reformat and install Windows.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x
Kudos0

Yes I know that now.. but where is the key set, I mean where is it on my PC when my product was uninstalled, so when I buy a new key and use that it will automaticly remember that?

Kudos1 Stats

The "keys" amount of subscription days will be added together to equal the total of both.

Example:

50 days left + 366 days left = 416 days left.

Kudos0

ferenzzz wrote:

Yes I know that now.. but where is the key set, I mean where is it on my PC when my product was uninstalled, so when I buy a new key and use that it will automaticly remember that?

In the MyDocuments\Norton folder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Documents

Kudos0

Bombastus wrote:

ferenzzz wrote:

In the MyDocuments\Norton folder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Documents

That's not where NIS retrieves it from upon reinstallation.

Kudos0

The "keys" amount of subscription days will be added together to equal the total of both.

Example:

50 days left + 366 days left = 416 days left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not true.. if you use a new key only that key will work with the days that are for THAT specific key and your other key will count down anyway.. it will not like you decribed...

Kudos0

What I said is true.

I've been using Norton since 2006. Each year I buy a new 366 day 3 PC key. I always add it and the days remaining on the previous key add to the new key. Which is why I had a 400 day subscription this year.

Kudos0

That's strange I read it somehere that it only will use the new key and that your other days are not counted up with the total like you said...

Hmmm... I'm not doing that till some Symantec admin will confirm..

Kudos0

Dec 13, 2010 - Feb 12, 2012 = 427 days

Kudos1 Stats

Here's a link where this is discussed:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Subscription-Update/m-p/315678/highlight/true#M132595

Once you add your new license key. If it doesn't add the remaining to your new subscription. Just follow what it says in that link.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

SGFC wrote:

What I said is true.

I've been using Norton since 2006. Each year I buy a new 366 day 3 PC key. I always add it and the days remaining on the previous key add to the new key. Which is why I had a 400 day subscription this year.

There is a difference in the way RENEWAL keys and NEW SUBSCRIPTION keys work. When you renew the remaining days are automagically added to the new subscription. When you buy a new subscription the days remaining do not normally add. If you go to the customer service chat they can do the addition of all of your ducks are in a row.

Hope this helps

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Thanks very much guys for the replies!! :D

It really helped..

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.