• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Installing NIS 2010

Use Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS with Vista SP 2

HP desktop

DSL connection, no router just DSL modem

OK as far as installing NIS 2010, I have a few questions.

I'm buying the disk from a reatil store (Target or Wal-Mart), so of course it will be the initial release version of 2010. I have a few questions:

1. So of course I will need to update NIS2010 to the current version. In doing that I hit live update right?

2. Does it just skip past the various updated versions through the last year, right to the current version of 2010?

Or does it install each version and I have to keep on updating?

3. Same as far as the virus defs, etc. Does it just download the current set or does it download each set from the past year?

4. I have to set the firewall to block port 3389, because I have had some problems with that port. So when I initially intall NIS 2010 and I set a firewall rule to block port 3389, so when the product upgrades to a current version of NIS 2010 do I need to reset the firewall rule again to block port 3389? Or do the settings stay the same even when the product upgrades?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Installing NIS 2010

Use Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS with Vista SP 2

HP desktop

DSL connection, no router just DSL modem

OK as far as installing NIS 2010, I have a few questions.

I'm buying the disk from a reatil store (Target or Wal-Mart), so of course it will be the initial release version of 2010. I have a few questions:

1. So of course I will need to update NIS2010 to the current version. In doing that I hit live update right?

2. Does it just skip past the various updated versions through the last year, right to the current version of 2010?

Or does it install each version and I have to keep on updating?

3. Same as far as the virus defs, etc. Does it just download the current set or does it download each set from the past year?

4. I have to set the firewall to block port 3389, because I have had some problems with that port. So when I initially intall NIS 2010 and I set a firewall rule to block port 3389, so when the product upgrades to a current version of NIS 2010 do I need to reset the firewall rule again to block port 3389? Or do the settings stay the same even when the product upgrades?

Kudos2 Stats

Calls:

Download the latest version of 2010 from the website rather than updating through the various changes.  There is less chance of a problem that way.  Keep the disk as it can be used as a boot tool. Run liveupdate until it is complete.  I ould suggest rebooting then.  You will need to reset your special rules.

http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis10/

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos2 Stats

Hi Calls,

At this point why not just download NIS 2011 from the following link and activate it using the product key from the boxed version of NIS 2010 that you purchase?  Run LiveUpdate when the installation completes and you are all done.

I would also recommend that you not make any manual firewall configurations.  The Norton Smart Firewall knows which communications to allow and which ones to block and anything that looks malicious will be stopped.  Users get into trouble and start having connectivity problems when they attempt to create their own rules.  Sorting things out after the fact can be a nightmare.  If manual intervention is absolutely necessary, it is far better to locate the name of the program in Program Control and allow it or block it outright, rather than setting new rules that requires numerous specifications to be set correctly to avoid problems.  You need to trust the software.

http://www.norton.com/nis11

Kudos0

Thanks all

Del- So the link you gave is the latest NIS2010 version?

I tried to find it on the store page of the Norton site, but can't seem to find it there

At this point, I DO NOT want to download NIS2011. I would rather wait until all the bugs get worked out. There are always bugs when a new product comes out and would rather just wait a little

Kudos0

OK I'm leaning towards just installing NIS 2010 from a store bought version ( from the store shelves like at Target)

So I know its not the latest 2010 NIS build. So once that is installed, how do I upgrade to the most recent 2010 build?

What I'm saying is that I'm not directly installing NIS 2010 recent build. So I need to know how once the initial 2010 build is installed, how to get it changed to the most recent?

Use live update? Is there a page on the Norton website that will modify my inital version to the latest version? When I go to the Norton website and I try to see about getting the upgrade to the current build, I just see stuff for 2011

If I should keep this question with my other post about installing NIS 2010, can the moderators merge this post to that post?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Calls,

The latest direct link to NIS 2010 is not latest version available. It still links to version 17.6.0.32 and the latest is actually 17.7.0.12. But this will assuredly be far more recent than anything you will find on a product CD.

As is always the case you will need to run Live Update repeatedly (rebooting as requested) until it reports no more updates are found.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos1 Stats

If you use the disk, I think the first version was 17.0.0.136.  Then you will have to reboot, run liveupdate until there are no more.  I'm not sure if it will update through all of the engine changes one at a time or just go to the final version of 17.7.0.12.

Since most of us progressed through each engine change, which updated it several times, it is hard to say what kinds of issues if any, you would run into if it bypassed the different changes.  If it goes through each engine change, one at a time, you will be there for some long time, installing and booting, and updating.

That is why we recommend downloading the most recent version available on the website, and updating it only once.  There is much less chance of Windows errors, especially with Vista.  In this case, installing from the disk is just not practical or advised.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1 Stats

What you can do download the latest available NIS10 build from http://www.norton.com/nis10 instead of installing from the CD and use the key from the CD to activate it. Then run the live update repeatedly to make sure the product is up to date. Note: THe latest latest build is only availble via liveupdate.

Plus, Norton Internet Security 2011 is FREE for all users that have subscription of NIS2006 and above. I WOULD recommend you install that version. But first make sure ALL previous security product have been uninstalled from your computer (and their respective removal tool run) before installing norton.

All you have to do is use your key for NIS10 to activate NIS11. Download NIS11 from http://www.norton.com/nis11.

Notice: All the links I give you will download the english version. If want other languages, one of my other answerers can provide you with the link.

Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva EdisonI'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.
Kudos2 Stats

Calls wrote:

At this point, I DO NOT want to download NIS2011. I would rather wait until all the bugs get worked out.

"All the bugs" have not been worked out of NIS 2010, either.  In fact, NIS 2011 actually fixes some of the issues that could not be resolved in NIS 2010.  NIS 2011 is the current, most up-to-date version of the product.  While it is generally prudent to wait to see if new software is buggy, this does not mean holding out for months just in case some weird issue comes up.  Any notable problems affecting a large number of users will become apparent within a week or two of the product's release.  If some glaring defect were lurking in NIS 2011, it would have surfaced by now and we'd all be talking about it.  There is really no logical reason at this point to choose to install NIS 2010 rather than 2011. 

Kudos0

First everyone- Thanks for your help. I know its been a long time coming for me to change to newer Norton

Here is what pushes me towards the NIS2010 installation from the disk.

I'm going to have to remove my NAV2008 and will have to use NRT. So how would I be able to download NIS 2010 latest version or even NIS2011 from the website, if I don't have any protection while doing it?

Kudos0

Sorry for the so many questions. I'm excited about finally moving forward, but at the same time it is releasing anxiety that I may screw things up.

I should probably have formulated my questionson paper first before posting, so that I could be more organized rather than so scatterd. Please forgive me all, as I REALLY appreciate your help.

I tend to create different posts for questions that are somewhat similar and/or related. But I see that it is btter to just add to a current post.

So this leads me to these questions:

How does one move to the current version of a product? Is it through live ipdate? Or is there some other function to use?

Example ( and I'm just making up the version numbers just to illustrate my question)

say I have NIS 2010 version 17.0.0.1. say the newest version is NIS 17.2.0.0

How do I get my product to that bersion?

Not changing from one year to the next, but within that same product year.

Moderators, if this second question should be a seperate post, can you please move it?

and in regard to Send of jive and my question regarding setting a firewall rule block.

I have to do that because for some reason ( I think  because I once used Microsoft remote help years ago)

my port 3389 is open and listening and I get daily  unsolicited TCP connection attempts from many IP addresses that I do not know, trying to make connection with my computer. I checked to see what 3389 is connected to on my computer and it is a svchost.exe process connected to teh following services:

cryptographic services

DNS client

KtmRm for distributed transaction coordination

Network loaction awareness

Telephony

Terminal Services

Not sure what these are and I don't want to end them ( even though I have the port currently blocked)

So once I set up NIS, I want to make sure that 3389 is blocked

Thanks all again.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello Calls

So how would I be able to download NIS 2010 latest version or even NIS2011 from the website, if I don't have any protection while doing it?

You download the versions first to your desktop and save them, whether 2010 or 2011. The same thing with the NRT. You download it first to your desktop and save it. You don't uninstall your old product until you have first downloaded and saved the new ones to desktop.

Once you have uninstalled the old one, then you stay off the net and install the new product and when it's ready to access the net, you let it and you will be protected then with the new product.  Using the links from the Forum will give you protection more rapidly than from the CD since the CD will give you the version that is on the CD first and not the newest one.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Calls wrote:

How does one move to the current version of a product? Is it through live ipdate? Or is there some other function to use?

Example ( and I'm just making up the version numbers just to illustrate my question)

say I have NIS 2010 version 17.0.0.1. say the newest version is NIS 17.2.0.0

How do I get my product to that bersion?

Not changing from one year to the next, but within that same product year.

Moderators, if this second question should be a seperate post, can you please move it?

Thanks all again.

Hi Calls,

All updates within the same major version (major version meaning NIS 2010 in this case) are done via Live Update. All updates to newer versions such as NIS 2011 must be done in one of the following ways:

1. Through http://updatecenter.norton.com/ and you can either have it find the applicable newer version automatically or select it manually.

2. From Help & Support click on Get new Version (I think that was the wording in 2010). This also connects to the update center mentioned in #1 but should automatically check behind the scenes and let you know if there is anything newer to upgrade to.

3. Download the full installer of the new version and use it to install either over the top of your current version or combine with the NRT to install fresh. Over the top installs are usually recommended provided everything is working OK for you on 2010.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks Allen

let me make sure I understand

So if I install NIS 2010, and get the latest build. Then when there is a newer build it will come through live update.

1.Does that mean through automatic live update?

2. Like if I havethat set to check every three hours, and then it checks, if there is a new build will automatically download and install the new build?

3.Or will it ask me first if I want to install the new build?

4. Will it notify me that a new build was installed? Or do I have to check on that status myself?

5. Do all new builds reste the firewall status?

6. With NIS 2010 is there a way to control when a new build gets installed?

that is important to me because I have to set a specific firewall rule. If the firewall gets reset and the rule removed, how will I know that I need to reset it?

Kudos1 Stats

Calls wrote:

and in regard to Send of jive and my question regarding setting a firewall rule block.

I have to do that because for some reason ( I think  because I once used Microsoft remote help years ago)

my port 3389 is open and listening and I get daily  unsolicited TCP connection attempts from many IP addresses that I do not know, trying to make connection with my computer. I checked to see what 3389 is connected to on my computer and it is a svchost.exe process connected to teh following services:

cryptographic services

DNS client

KtmRm for distributed transaction coordination

Network loaction awareness

Telephony

Terminal Services

Not sure what these are and I don't want to end them ( even though I have the port currently blocked)

So once I set up NIS, I want to make sure that 3389 is blocked

Thanks all again.

Hi Calls,

Reading your post, I am even more emphatically imploring you not to change any firewall settings.  Unsolicited traffic, of the type you mention, is always blocked by a firewall anyway.  Furthermore, these unsolicited connection attempts happen continually on many, many ports, not just 3389.  The whole purpose of a firewall is to block access to your computer on all ports, and only allow traffic through that has been requested by legitimate programs running on your PC.  In other words, nothing can get in except traffic initiated by processes on your computer that need periodic access to the internet in order to do their jobs.  What you intend to do is completely unnecessary and usually does nothing but create problems.  After you install NIS run ShieldsUp! at grc.com.  I think you will find that port 3389 is already closed and stealthed.

Kudos0

Send of Jive- this is my concern.

Before I set that specific port blocking of 3389, the unsolicited connections to port 3389 WERE NOT BLOCKED.

Logs indicated that these unsolicited connections from vvarious and evil IPs were MAKING connection and bytes were being sent (though small amount of bytes).

When I run netstat -ano, it shows that port 3389 is LISTENING,

process svchost.exe and with the services  I listed previously

so I assume that means it is NOT closed and stealthed, but rather open and accepting connection

Unless I am not fully understanding this. Please educate me, and I say that not in a disrespectful way, but in a way of eagerness to understand

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Calls,

Port 3389 is used by Terminal Services, otherwise known as Remote Desktop.  Rather than create unnecessary complexity by manually configuring your firewall, simply turn off Remote Desktop.  Here is an easy 5 page step-by-step guide to disable the process that is listening on this port:

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securingwindowsxp/ss/disable_remote.htm

Kudos3 Stats

So if I install NIS 2010, and get the latest build. Then when there is a newer build it will come through live update.

1.Does that mean through automatic live update?

2. Like if I havethat set to check every three hours, and then it checks, if there is a new build will automatically download and install the new build?

3.Or will it ask me first if I want to install the new build?

4. Will it notify me that a new build was installed? Or do I have to check on that status myself?

5. Do all new builds reste the firewall status?

6. With NIS 2010 is there a way to control when a new build gets installed?

that is important to me because I have to set a specific firewall rule. If the firewall gets reset and the rule removed, how will I know that I need to reset it?

1.  If you install 2010 from the link given, you will then run liveupdate.  The new build, 17.7.0.12 will then be installed in your machine.  Since you will know what is going on, you will then reboot, and everything will be fine.

2.  There is no longer anything that is set to check.  Much more of the new products is automated.  As well there are no more "builds" in 2010.  In order to upgrade versions, you will need to click "check for new version" and follow the resulting directions.  It is very smooth.

3.  If you do not want to upgrade versions, it will not happen automatically.  If once you have 2011, new "builds will happen automatically through liveupdate.  No fuss, no muss.

4.  Since you are on the forum a lot, I suspect that you will know when a new build is available and will click liveupdate to get it. 

5.  New "builds" do not change the firewall.  New version years do require fresh firewall settings.

6.  See 2 & 3

7.  You will now be dealling with a new, modern, two-way firewall.  Don't monkey with it until you have a better understanding of what is going on.  Good rule of thumb.

Kudos0

please bear with me all. this is  related to me installing NIS 2010

Send of Jive, Del, and others,  I think I may be on the verge of resolving this little issue that is causing some distrubance in my plan to update to NIS 2010 tomorrow- The whole port 3389 needing to be blocked thing

Send of jive, I use Vista so the instructions you offered me will not work

In my Vista though, I

right click computer>click properties>remote settings

The box for "allow remote connectins to this computer", the box is already UNCHECKED ( even logged on as admin avcoount and see the same thing)

So not sure why port 3389 is in listening status

But I did a little checking so I went to Task manager, clicked Services tab, then clicked the services button

this listed services that are on my Comp

I did see that "terminal services" is showing to be ins the "started" status and that it shows start up type as "automatic"

So what I'm thinking is that at one time when I did use remote help from Microsoft, it may have activated this service. Then when the session was over the the "allow remote connection" box was UNCHECKED, BUT the services remained at a ready state? Thus why on port 3389 ift shows a "listening" state?

That making some sense?

I also went ahead and tried a little something. I went ahead and turned off Terminal Services via the services menu

I then ran netstat -ano and DID NOT see port 3389 listed at all. So I'm thinking that Terminal Services is what is causing port 3389 to be an issue

That also making some sense?

So now the issue is- Is it safe to turn off Terminal services and if I do, what effect does that have on my computer?

If I can get this resolved, the no need to even be worried about creating a firewall rule

Tiny problem- When I restarted my computer, Terminal Services was running again. So now I wonder do I need to DISABLE Terminal Services?

Kudos0

Only one little problem with your intended solution:  in order to work correctly Norton requires Terminal Services to be running.  At least this was the case with the 2009 products, and I assume this still holds true.  See the following post for an explanation.  Again, this is why we always caution against changing any computer or firewall settings without a full appreciation of what the change will effect, as it is very likely to create real problems that are more serious than the issue you may be trying to fix.  If the remote connections box is unchecked you are safe.  Please go to grc.com and run ShieldsUp! and report back any open ports that it finds.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Terminal-Services-and-Norton-antivirus-2009/m-p/108331/highlight/true#M56778

Kudos0

I posted the need for terminal services and NIS as a seperate question. But I would just like to address here.

If I have the service Terminal Services running, then even though I have the box UNCHECKED for allow remote access, I stil get connections from unsolicited IP addresses connecting to my machine on port 3389. That is why I either need that port closed or that port blocked.

It is odd though that in Vista, when one looks at the description of Terminal Services, all that it talks about is remote desktop and remote access, nothing about being needed for one's use of security product

also in the post Send of jive referred me to

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Terminal-Services-and-Norton-antivirus-2009/m-p/108331/highlight/true#M56778

Symantec Staffer OscarL replys:

Norton 2009 products (NIS/NAV/N360) require Terminal Services to be started to function correctly. The reason for this is we use Terminal Services to tell if a user is logged in or not. This tells us when to start our own services. If the Norton Service cannot start, none of our own functionality will work.

Cany anyone tell me what is meant by we use Terminal Services to tell if a user is logged in or not. This tells us when to start our own services.

what does it mean by "start our own services"?

Is this all referencing if Norton needs to do remote help?

Kudos0

Just installed NIS 2010. Installed with no problems.  This is great!!!

Of  course I have 100's of questions, which I will do as seperate posts, but just wantto say thanks to all who helped me

Kudos0

Why not install the latest version? v2011

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos1 Stats

HI Stu,

Read the history, it is an on-going saga! Where it will end nobody knows.

Allen

Kudos1 Stats

Calls wrote:

Of  course I have 100's of questions, which I will do as seperate posts, 

Hi Calls,

Be sure to search on the forums for your questions, as its likely that a lot of them have already been answered in previous threads to other users (especially since 2010 has been out for over a year now). 

Kudos0

Hello Calls

Congratulations on finally taking the step of moving up to NIS 2010.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Congratulations, Calls!!! 

And remember, Google is your friend. 

Kudos0

Thanks all. And thanks for bearing with me these man, MANY months. I see now when I had questions regarding my outdated NAV2008, how it would be hard to addressthose when one has NIS 2010.

Lots of different features and some that do not appear in NIS 2010 that werer in NAV2008 (as far as what you see)

Let me just say that the installation went smoothly. I have version NIS 2010 17.7.0.12 and that after just a few times of hitting live up date, probably less than 20 minutes total

Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

HI Stu,

Read the history, it is an on-going saga! Where it will end nobody knows.

Allen

Hey it took me this long to go from NAV2008 to NIS 2010. I have had NIS 2010 now for less than 24 hours. I don't want to overwhelm myself

Kudos0

Also, I notice that making firewall chnages does not seem to be as an easy process as it was with NAV2008. Can't even find where one would do that, what location in the program.

So................

I think I will just leave well enough alone. I would assume that I am correct now when I say, if something got past the firewall,  even if the firewall made a mistake,then all the other security features of NIS 2010 would jump on the issue to keep me safe.

(with NAV2008, it was probably too old for today's threats to feel completely safe)

So I will not worry about that port 3389 seems to be listening or that wininit.exe is listening on port 49152. At that even though about 8 months ago, something "accessed" winit.exe from some unsolicited IP, that if that happened now, NIS would kill it dead

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.