• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

internet blocked after update 207

After update 207 which was installed  11/22/17 my internet access has been blocked.  I spent an hour yesterday rebooting and working with Norton support sending in logs.  The only way I can get to the internet is to turn off data inspection, which only lasts for half an hour.  Before this I was having occasional problems which were fixed by a restart, but this is too much.  I bought the core router to avoid problems, not cause additional problems.  I really like the way it works when it is working and coverage seems to be great in my house, but I need a reliable router.  Anyone else having problems with update 207?

Labels: Firmware

Replies

Kudos0

Re: internet blocked after update 207

Hello Norman Brewer and welcome to the forums. Happy Thanksgiving. Most times the issue you are seeing happens when both the modem you are using and core need to be power cycled at the same time. Give that a go and recheck for you internet connectivity. I have firmware ver 207 and not one issue with it.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

FYI:  I disconnect my computer from the internet when not browsing.  So, since the update, the connection takes longer to activate when I plug it back in.  Running the Live Update will connect it.  The connection has gone down while plugged in, so I am not so sure it's a router problem.  Wonder if others have noticed this also?

Kudos0

So did you power off your modem/router AND Core at the same time and allow them to sit powered off for at least one minute then power on the modem then Core again to allow it to recheck connectivity again?

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos1 Stats

Yes, but accidentally.  The power went out, for 3 hours.  Didn't help.

However, I did do one thing that seems to be working.  On Wed, Nov 22, I blocked msftncsi.com from connecting.  It seems to be working so far.  No more delays.

Something strange, is that msftncsi.com is no longer present in the Norton history.  It's supposed to be a Microsoft operating system tool to " verity that there is network connectivity".  Not needed, and it seems intrusive to me.

Kudos0

NW User Thanks for letting us know about msftncsi.com Since that resolves to a DNS site more than likely it is the culprit of your issues from the get go.  Not only is it old but is more likely than not compatible with Windows 10 systems.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017(v=ws.10).aspx  If you are using it remove it and allow your setup to run and monitor your issue. I would bet it doesn't return. Core will monitor your network connectivity as it is designed to do rather nicely.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.