• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Okay I read Tony_Weiss post about the connectivity issue.

Recently I've been having random drops. My modem lights all stay green. My router lights as well. Just every like 6 hours I drop my connection. Of course the ISP blames my router. They want me to connect directly to my modem.

But my question is would the new 21.0.2.1 fix my issue?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

I don't know if this means anything. But it says in my history (screenshot below)

Then about 5 minutes later my connection dies.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

The history entry is normal if you are in Protected mode. It does not affect connectivity.

Have you tried your ISPs suggestion? If it is the modem as they suggest,  updating NIS would not fix anything.

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

I am trying the ISP suggestion right now. It's just weird how it started occuring just today and has happened three times. Once with about 6 hours in between and this last time maybe 30 minutes in between.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

It has to be NIS because I tried my tablet and another PC in the house and they had internet when the connection dropped on my PC with NIS.

So what should I do? It seems to occur when I go to a site with flash video. After a minute or two my connection drops.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

It is true.  I notied this few days ago....and today also

There is nothing wrong with router,  I checked its status......all looks good

sometimes,  this yelllo exclamation mark in network connectivity does not go away and have to reboot the computer

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Rebooting doesn't solve it for me.

I have to shut down my PC. Unplug the router and modem. Wait 1 minute. Then plug the modem and router back in. Start my PC again and it works.

It's starting to get very annoying.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

@uregmi

Are you on 21.0.1.3 of NIS or N360?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Your signature says Windows 8 Pro. Can you confirm you are not using 8.1?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

I wouldn't touch Windows 8 SP1 beta with a ten foot pole. Still on the original.

Screenshot:

It's one site I go to. Everytime I go there with a total of 4 Firefox windows open (not tabs). Plus Windows Live Mail and Skype. I lose internet connectivity and can't get it back until I shut down and do what I said above.

One other note this didn't happen with NIS 2013 or 20.x well whatever was before 21.0.1.3

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

What pops up in the extra windows that open? Advertising?

Try running a full system scan in Safe Mode with Norton. 

Then I would suggest a second opinion scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

No, no sorry for the confusion. I meant I have Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr and then this other site all open at once in seperate web browser windows. The other site has flash player videos on it. After 1 - 2 minutes I lose internet connectivity.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

I just ran NPE and it did find this:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Ran Norton Full System Scan in safe mode with zero threats found.

Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with zero threats found.

So I don't think it's a virus.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


SGFC wrote:
It's one site I go to. Everytime I go there with a total of 4 Firefox windows open (not tabs).

Hi SGFC:

Are you using the latest Firefox v. 24.0 with Adobe Flash v. 11.8.800.168 (NPAPI version for non-IE browsers)?  Are both your Norton extensions enabled in your Firefox browser (Tools | Add-ons | Extensions)?

What is the URL of the web site you're having problems with, and does the problem persist if you disable the Identity Safe feature in NIS?

You should also read Tony Weiss' post here about NIS v. 21.0.2.1.  The Win 8 driver conflict he refers to only affects a small number of NIS users, but if you run out of ideas you might want to try the update.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


lmacri wrote:

Hi SGFC:

Are you using the latest Firefox v. 24.0 with Adobe Flash v. 11.8.800.168 (NPAPI version for non-IE browsers)?  Are both your Norton extensions enabled in your Firefox browser (Tools | Add-ons | Extensions)?

and does the problem persist if you disable the Identity Safe feature in NIS?


 Firefox 24.0 with the non-ie flash player

NTB is disabled because it crashes Firefox 24.0

Identity safe is always disabled. I don't use it.

Right now things are working fine. I don't know if NPE removing that dead reg path made a difference or what.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


SGFC wrote:

NTB is disabled because it crashes Firefox 24.0.


Do you have the latest NIS 21.x  extensions compatible with FF24 (Norton Toolbar v. 2014.5.1.4; Norton Vulnerability Protection v. 12.0.0.380 -1) as described here in Mohan_G's post?  If not, have you tried running a manual LiveUpdate, re-booting your computer, and re-running LiveUpdate until your NIS installation is fully patched?

-----------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Yes everything is up to date. It seems better now. No loss of internet in about 5 hours.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

@noghere

Did this registry path that NPE fixed cause the internet connection to drop?

So far I haven't had any problems. But I haven't been on my computer much either. If it happens again I'll reply back that it did.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


SGFC wrote:

@noghere

Did this registry path that NPE fixed cause the internet connection to drop?

So far I haven't had any problems. But I haven't been on my computer much either. If it happens again I'll reply back that it did.


It will happen again the next FF upgrade...

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3

I had to revert back to NIS 2013 today because NIS 2014 was unusable.

I experienced kind of internet connectivity issues as well but under reproducible circumstances.

I was and always will be using NIS with firewall's automatic rules off (don't know what that point is called in English as i'm using German NIS - there it is "automatische programmsteuerung")

As well i'm using advance event control.

So every time a program tried to connect to the internet at first my connection would be blocked (whilst the connection with my smartphone through the same router was absolutely fine) and then my programs froze and after 1-6 minutes Norton would finally be able to show the "new rule" pop up. After allowing the access there everything was fine again. But it could be reproducible for every new process trying to connect to the internet AND ALSO for further events like running another process (e.g.. Thunderbird trying to open a link with Firefox)

something with that event control is seriously broken. i'm using a core i7 win 7 64bit computer with 6gb of ram and I have never experienced a lag by Norton in previous version. Right now NIS 2013 is working just fine again

Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


noghere wrote:

SGFC wrote:

@noghere

Did this registry path that NPE fixed cause the internet connection to drop?

So far I haven't had any problems. But I haven't been on my computer much either. If it happens again I'll reply back that it did.


It will happen again the next FF upgrade...


Okay but was this registry path the cause of the dropped internet connection? I figured it was NIS because all of my mobile devices (tablet and iPod) and other PC worked fine. Just my main PC with NIS was affected by this dropped internet connnection.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


hojo wrote:

I had to revert back to NIS 2013 today because NIS 2014 was unusable.

I experienced kind of internet connectivity issues as well but under reproducible circumstances.

I was and always will be using NIS with firewall's automatic rules off (don't know what that point is called in English as i'm using German NIS - there it is "automatische programmsteuerung")

As well i'm using advance event control.

So every time a program tried to connect to the internet at first my connection would be blocked (whilst the connection with my smartphone through the same router was absolutely fine) and then my programs froze and after 1-6 minutes Norton would finally be able to show the "new rule" pop up. After allowing the access there everything was fine again. But it could be reproducible for every new process trying to connect to the internet AND ALSO for further events like running another process (e.g.. Thunderbird trying to open a link with Firefox)

something with that event control is seriously broken. i'm using a core i7 win 7 64bit computer with 6gb of ram and I have never experienced a lag by Norton in previous version. Right now NIS 2013 is working just fine again


I don't have problems with NIS's automatic rules. I am impressed by the full system scan because it only takes 5 minutes to scan 500,000 files. Where with NIS 2013 or 20.x it took 15 minutes.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


SGFC wrote:

noghere wrote:

SGFC wrote:

@noghere

Did this registry path that NPE fixed cause the internet connection to drop?

So far I haven't had any problems. But I haven't been on my computer much either. If it happens again I'll reply back that it did.


It will happen again the next FF upgrade...


Okay but was this registry path the cause of the dropped internet connection? I figured it was NIS because all of my mobile devices (tablet and iPod) and other PC worked fine. Just my main PC with NIS was affected by this dropped internet connnection.



NO, the registry FF command key is the problem only with NPE.

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


SGFC wrote:

Okay but was this registry path the cause of the dropped internet connection?


Hi SGFC:

The registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command\"" is related to the shortcut used for launching Firefox from the Start menu (see here).  It's probably just an orphaned (and harmless) registry key left behind by an old Firefox upgrade.  NPE's detection of this registry key is likely a false positive and I doubt it had anything to do with your Internet connectivity problems.

EDIT:

Do you use Google as your default search engine?  My Firefox browser was crashing a few days ago and I traced it back to the animated Google "doodle" that started playing every time I went to the Google search page.  You might notice that your Firefox browser behaves better when the static Google logo appears on the search page.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


hojo wrote:

I experienced kind of internet connectivity issues as well but under reproducible circumstances...I was and always will be using NIS with firewall's automatic rules off ...As well i'm using advance event control.


Hi hojo:

Please see nyer2011's thread here about slow boot-ups with NIS v. 21.0.1.3 when Automatic Program Control is disabled.  I don't know if this is a bug in NIS 21.0.1.3 or a deliberate change on the part of Symantec to monitor Internet traffic more closely when Automatic Program Control set to OFF in NIS 21.x.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 24.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40 * MBAM PRO 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: Internet connectivity issue NIS 21.0.1.3


lmacri wrote:

SGFC wrote:

Okay but was this registry path the cause of the dropped internet connection?


Hi SGFC:

The registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command\"" is related to the shortcut used for launching Firefox from the Start menu (see here).  It's probably just an orphaned (and harmless) registry key left behind by an old Firefox upgrade.  NPE's detection of this registry key is likely a false positive and I doubt it had anything to do with your Internet connectivity problems.

EDIT:

Do you use Google as your default search engine?  My Firefox browser was crashing a few days ago and I traced it back to the animated Google "doodle" that started playing every time I went to the Google search page.  You might notice that your Firefox browser behaves better when the static Google logo appears on the search page.


Everything seems fine now. No loss of internet for a good 12+ hours with my normal internet activity. So I'll mark this solved.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.19.x

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.