• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Internet Security 2009 (D) Trial kills plain vanilla XP Home

Hi out there,

I wanted to have a look on Internet Security 2009 and installed a 15 days trial version (german).

During installation my system got frozzen - reboot and try installation again - frozzen - reboot and try uninstall - frozzen - reboot and try ignoring - frozzen.

OK, now I took a new hard drive, installed a plain WinXP Home, patched it to the latest level and tried it again - and again the installeg manages to ruin the system!

Motherboard is a ASUS M2N1394, Disk is SATA, DVD ist IDE - so quite normal to me.

Is there anything known like this? Are there incompatibilities to some components or Win Versions??

Is support interested in that - and if so, what else can I provide to help fixing that?

reagards

Andy

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Internet Security 2009 (D) Trial kills plain vanilla XP Home

Hi Andy16:

Welcome to the forum.  

What other antivirus security did you have running while trying to install?  What service pack are you running?  Have you had other antivirus programs that you may have uninstalled previously?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I had the same problem where IS 2009 hosed my computer which was running XP Home.  I even had support try to do the install and they hosed the computer up worse.  If you are not running XP Professional I suggest you go Vista, but at the min. run XP Professional.  I don't know what Symantec did but 2009 really messes up things.  Even with XP Professional my computer all of a sudden slowed down for performance, and became unstable after a period of time.  I am thinking of jumping ship onto another product.
Kudos0

What version of Windows are you using please on the frozen occasion -- XP Home also?

Did you get any error messages? What does Event Viewer report at the time of the installation failure?

You mention German edition for NIS 2009 but is your Windows also a German localized version? There have been problems in the past when there was a mismatch there.

Could you please give the URL that you loaded the trial version from. What is the name of the file you downloaded?

Thanks for your patience inchecking out with a clean stripped system

I have NIS 2009 installed on XP Pro with no problems from the first release of NIS 2009 nor subsequent ones up to the very latest.

PS  -- Yes support is interested so hang on. Symantec Staff -- names in red -- may not be so visible over the weekend but there is plenty of knowledge here but I've asked for backup on this since it has happened to two people.

Message Edited by huwyngr on 03-07-2009 06:05 PM
Hugh
Kudos0

Sorry to hear of your experience with this failure. I've flagged this thread for support.

A couple of questions

-- was yours also a German version or any other non-US/CAN version?

-- when you say Support failed, this was the Symantec on line chat support where they take over your computer?

Just want to be clear.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello Andy16,

I am sorry to hear of your installation trouble. Did you get any error messages, on does the installation just freeze?

Are you running Service pack 2 or higher?

We may be able to diagnose your problem using the Norton Installer logs.

The logs can be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NortonInstaller\Logs

The most important file is the one beginning with "NortonInstall".

Send me a Private Message (click on my name and "Send user a Private Message) with  your Norton Installer logs pasted into the body of the text. The logs may exceed the character limits of the PM, so if necessary, split the logs and send me two PM's.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

I'd like to add some remarks peripheral to the good advice you are getting and will continue to get here:

What we have found over the previous months is NOT that NIS 2009 and NAV 2009 hose computers, but rather that it is pretty much a tightly written, aggressive application that challenges other applications already present on a computer but which were written quite right.

Windows is a fairly forgiving platform, no matter what people might think, and it tolerates a fair amount of deviation from MS published standards (this might not last; MS really tightened the drawstrings about HTML when it released IE7).  But some of these deviations that Windows accepts still create an unstable environment; and when NIS or NAV 2009 is dropped into that mix it has a catalytic effect, apparently crashing the computer or freezing it or producing some weird behavior.  I say "apparently" because it is not really Symantec's fault but that of the sloppy code of some other product that is bumping into the challenge of the Symantec product.  (Don't get me wrong -- the Symantec products aren't bug free; but they are the evil beings a number of posters think they are.)

Putting it simply, I would say that 95% of the posters who start out here lamenting what Symantec has done to their computer end up telling us, Oops, it wasn't Symantec after all, it was .... (fill in the blank, here).

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hi again - first of all thanks for the replies and the energy I can feel here :-)

I don't want to blame any one (up to now) for anything - I'm just saying that NIS2009 does not work on my WinXP Home - without any other software! And that's what makes me wonder.

So this is what I did to asure nothing else is causing the conflict:

• Installed WinXP form an XP Home SP2 german installer
  • added ASUS driver for Nvidia Chipset (graphik and network)
  • registered XP (yes, it is an official version
  • downloaded and installed XP SP3
  • downloaded and installed all other XP patches (without the MS search wich I don't like)
  • downloaded NIS2009 from NIS09GE.exe from http://spftrl.digitalriver.com/pub/symantec/****** (I think I shouldn't post the full link here... :-> )
  • and installed NIS 2009

This brought me to a instable system that feezes every now and then - still no other software, no spyware blocker, no av, no additional fw, etc.

From what I read on the Symantec adds - "XP Home SP2 or later is supported" - that's why I started this post.

How can I help to get this fixed? I've already been told to provide installation logs, ok.

Anything else? Can I start the installation with some more debug information?

As I removed this partition in the meantime I'll have to set it up again. Spending the time (again) I'd like to gather as many helpfull information as I can...

Awaiting support's advice :-)

regards

Andy

Kudos0

Hi Andy:

At least three of us are running on XP service pack 3 and have no issues, so there is something else happening with your machines or software that we can perhaps help you solve.  NIS2009 is very compatible with XP3 usually.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

mijcar wrote:

[... ]

...  I say "apparently" because it is not really Symantec's fault but that of the sloppy code of some other product that is bumping into the challenge of the Symantec product.  (Don't get me wrong -- the Symantec products aren't bug free; but they not are the evil beings a number of posters think they are.)

Putting it simply, I would say that 95% of the posters who start out here lamenting what Symantec has done to their computer end up telling us, Oops, it wasn't Symantec after all, it was .... (fill in the blank, here).

I fully agree with all you say -- or rather meant to say I think <g> I've inserted what I think was a missing not

It's not just sloppy coding by third parties but also Microsoft changing their coding and either not following their own rules immediately (PowerDesk crash situation) or sometimes not even telling third parties what they have changed or when (another recent problem).

I do support over on Compuserve on PCs and Windows and it's surprising how often someone comes along saying I just installed this or did that and Windows crashed and it turns out not to be directly the fault of what they installed or did but rather to mention two frequent triggers: a faulty memory strip or oddly an out of date graphics driver.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi delphinium,

thanks for that offer - what is the best way to hunt this down?

Is there something like a installation with full debug info?

regards

Andy

Kudos0

Thanks for providing all that hard information -- it is not your fault that it won't install, of that I'm certain! But equally it can't be NIS 2009 on its own or basically XP either since a number of us are using it.

I'm delighted to see you updated a nVidia driver (see my other message; also I could not install Windows 7 without upgrading my nVidia chipset driver because it would not see the internet although the same setup worked for XP and VISTA)

The two most obvious targets would be, in my view,

the German language localization

or

XP Home (where there are some differences in facilities that are not available one of which is to do with permissions I think (and the other with domains).

Please forgive the questions which, again, do not reflect on you but more on the fact we can't see your PC:

In your first message you said:

<< During installation my system got frozzen - reboot and try installation again - frozzen - reboot and try uninstall - frozzen - reboot and try ignoring - frozzen. >>

which I took to mean you could not complete the installation.

but in this message I'm replying to you say:

<< This brought me to a instable system that feezes every now and then - >>

which is rather different. Do you now have a succesful installation which works but which is unstable and freezes from time to time?

Since you have a successful installation could you check Help / About and give the Version ID -- nn.nn.nn.nn -- and whether liveupdate is running successfully?

Thanks for your patience -- you have some good support here (I'm good at asking questions but ...) and I'm sure some Symantec Staff will catch up soon in case there is anything they know about your specific situation.

Hugh
Kudos0

Since I have had a similar experience as Andy16 with Windows XP Home SP3 and NIS 2009 I can feel reasonably confident the issue is tied to NIS 2009.  In a period of a week I ended up rebuilding from scratch my computer and each and every time I went to NIS 2009 the computer locked up, and then all of a sudden got a \windows\system32\config\system corruption.  When I installed NIS 2007 I receive no problems.  I have used the tool to unintall the tool completely and then install NIS 2009 with the same results.  I have used Norton tools for over 5 years with no problems until NIS 2009.  I refuse to install NIS 2009 on my computer because I honestly am flatout tired of rebuilding my computer system.  I can say there is a difference in behavior on XP Home and Professional when dealing with NIS 2009.  Professional doesn't lock up, but performance is significantly impacted.  I have a reasonably nice game machine which runs World of Warcraft, Crysis, Diablo, Tribes2, and other things which are graphic and CPU intense.  Prior to NIS 2009 all ran with no issues.

Now I don't want to slam NIS as I think its a valueable tool for folks, especially with kids who need a safe and controlled environment.  I think further review of XP Home by support needs to occur.

As of today I run NIS 2007 (not desired) with no issues. As for the comment about support messing up my computer worse this is in reference of them signing onto my computer and take control of it.  They left the state of my computer in flux and I ended up rebuilding it again.  I am sure that it was not on purpose but it took another day to reload my system again.

Kudos0

Andy16:

No magic debug i'm afraid, just the hard way.

Could you have a look in event viewer (start>settings>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer)  Check in System and application for errors.  Have you also downloaded >net framework and service packs and/ or .net framework 2?

If you managed to get NIS installed, could you have a look at the history for any error numbers.  There is a section under history for errors as well.  

During the installation, was the Windows firewall turned off and also Windows Defender should be off by default.

Any additional info you can give us will point us in the right direction.

Kudos0

Cfryett:

Did you also want to try some troubleshooting, or did you wish to stay as you are.  We are quite willing to work with you as well, but you would have to reinstall.  You have said that that was not an option.  Let us know.

I must say that as a user of XP Home addition and NIS2009, I have had no issues, have absolutely nothing to complain about, and can assure you that there are no incompatibilities with XP.  There is something else going on as Mijcar and Huwynger have said.

Kudos0

ok - some more testing, some more news:

- I defined a new hard disk parttion and restored an installation of WinXP Home SP2, patched XP3 and all other Win suff.

fine

- I installed NIS2009

fine - which made me wonder as I expected the first issues there....

- reboot 

- I did an live update

fine - wich made me wonder again as I experienced issues in here the times I tried that before

- reboot 

- I started a file scan

NOW system slows down and slows down to a point where it is frozzen....

- reboot

anything I try, the system comes to a frozzen state after some minutes or so...

Saying all Win stuff is there means -net2 -net3 and all required service packs.

Being in a situation where I can play arround quite easy now, what do you expect me to do, what to report?

waiting for requests :-)

regards

Kudos0

First suggestion -- Go into NIS 2009 / Settings / Computer and turn off Compressed FIles Scan

See if this does anything to the slow down / freeze

If there are deeply nested compressed files it can take ages for NIS to unpack them for checking. If you turn off this function you are still protected since NIS will check the moment you try to open that file yourself.

Although you have a clean system, I'll bet there are a lot of compressed archives from Windows and Windows updates ....

Hugh
Kudos0

sorry, no chance to configure anything any more - it is freezing faster than I can handle it - foobar...

So I did a restore of a plain WinXP Home.

Now, anything you want me to prepare or just install NIS2009?

Anything to do right after?

:-)

Andy

Kudos0

I'd hang on for a while since the Symantec Staffers are catching up, I can see in the rest of the forums.
Hugh
Kudos0

hm - anybody interessted in that? waiting for instructions. :-)
Kudos0

I suggest extreme patience over the weekend while Symantec Staffers in particular recover from the last week ....

I will post a reminder however.

If you want to try something while waiting, picking up your comment that it installed OK but froze when you run a scan, then install NIS 2009 and update it, note the version ID, and then turn off Scan compressed files in Computer Settings of NIS 2009.

The other thing, if it does then still freeze, is to check Event Viewer for error messages as suggeted above.

PS -- I noted that you installed the German localized version of NIS 2009 -- did you ever answer my question about whether your XP Home was also the German localized version? Is it?

Message Edited by huwyngr on 03-14-2009 04:48 PM
Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Andy16,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.. I appreciate your patience on this and willingness to work with us.

Please go to this KB article for instructions on how to turn download and turn on the Windows logging tool. 

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2006071711255039

Once the tool has been installed and started, then install the Norton program and re-create the problem. Once reproduced, reply to this thread and I will provide instructions on how to submit the logs.

Again, thanks for your help.

RichC

Senior Product Support Engineer

Kudos0

Thanks for jumping in -- over to you!
Hugh
Kudos0

ok - here we go:

- installed WinXPSP2 german (to be very precise: resored a plain installation from a backup as this is the longest part :-) )

- installed driver CD for motherboard

- connected to internet and installed SP3

- connected to internet and installed ALL available patches

- installed SymNRA

- reboot

- activated SymNRA

- started NIS installer

- installed, registered to account

- started live update, wich connected and downloaded 11 updates

- within update 4 system did not continue

-> mouse was still moving but NIS showing the hourglass

-> cancle NIS live update was not possible

-> finish SymNRA was not possible

-> RESET

Will I have a valid log file?

Where can I place it??

regards

Andy

Kudos0

Hi Andy16:

I am not sure if it has been created... Please check for the log file here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\ErrLogs

Let me know if you see any files there. If there are files, let me know the name of the files.

Thanks,

RichC

Kudos0

well, what I have:

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Norton

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\NortonInstaller

but I do not have a:

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Symantec

Any change in trapping that???

Just tell me what you want me to do... :-)

regards 

Andy

Kudos0

Andy,

Richard is out of the country right now and won't be able to respond till Monday.  He asked me to post a reply so you wouldn't think he forgot about you. 

Kudos0

Hi, still waiting...

But to be honest, motivation is decreasing... :-(

Andy

Kudos0

Andy16 wrote:

well, what I have:

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Norton

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\NortonInstaller

but I do not have a:

C.\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Symantec

Any change in trapping that???

Just tell me what you want me to do... :-)

regards 

Andy

The error logs are located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec. Not sure why you are unable to see the Symantec folder.

I can see that the system start freezing while you run LiveUpdate, LiveUpdate logs may help sometimes. You can find LiveUpdate logs in the following locaton.

C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsres\Application data\Norton\{some numerical values}\Norton\Lue\Logs\Log.lue.

I am not sure whether this helps, but you can provide them if Richard Needs it.

Vineeth--

Kudos0

Hi Any16,

I have sent you a private message with a list of things to try. As far as the logs that Vineeth suggests, I agree that the liveupdate log would be helpful. When you respond to my private message, I will tell where to send the file.

Thanks,

RichC

Kudos0

For the live update logs:

I have in 

c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdate\Norton\{numbers}\Norton\Lue

ONLY a LueDyn!

hm...

Kudos0

giving up on that!

NOT going to invest more energy, NOT going to spend money for a product and support like that.

Sorry, think we missed a chance

Andy

Kudos0

strange! norton causes system unstable! i hv never found norton doing it. i hv observed norton is d most stable program out there.Message Edited by silverhawk on 04-30-2009 05:01 AM
Genuine Windows 8.1 x64 Pro; NIS 2014; HP Pavallion G6 Notebook with AMD Core 2 Quad A10; 6 GB RAM; ; 1TB Western Digital HDD, AMD Radeon 2.5 GB Graphics Card
Kudos0

well, that's what I thougt untill I tried it...

And even more I do not understand, why support did not take the chance to dig in as I offered a reproducable environment.

vanilla XP + motherboard driver + XP patches = fine, adding NIS kills it!

Hopefully there are not so much more users out there having that issue.

I did it on my "productive" harddisk the first time and had to reload an older full backup as I could not uninstall any more and the system was fu***

Be aware and TAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE TRYING

Andy

Kudos0

Andy16 wrote:

well, that's what I thougt untill I tried it...

And even more I do not understand, why support did not take the chance to dig in as I offered a reproducable environment.

vanilla XP + motherboard driver + XP patches = fine, adding NIS kills it!

Hopefully there are not so much more users out there having that issue.

I did it on my "productive" harddisk the first time and had to reload an older full backup as I could not uninstall any more and the system was fu***

Be aware and TAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE TRYING

Andy

Andy,

I would be more concerned that this seems to be an issue for your machine alone.  It is hard to believe that hundreds of thousands of XP users accidentally have the right configuration for a successful installation of Norton and your machine does not.  It makes a lot more sense that something is fundamentally wrong on your computer, perhaps right back to the original configuration that came with the original system.  (Speaking of which, it needs to be SP2 at the very least.)

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

mijcar wrote:

Andy,

I would be more concerned that this seems to be an issue for your machine alone.  It is hard to believe that hundreds of thousands of XP users accidentally have the right configuration for a successful installation of Norton and your machine does not.  It makes a lot more sense that something is fundamentally wrong on your computer, perhaps right back to the original configuration that came with the original system.  (Speaking of which, it needs to be SP2 at the very least.)

I agree on that! Totally! It is most probably a problem of only some users.

My XP - sorry, maybe I didn't state that clear enogh - is a installed SP2, patched to SP3, patched to the latest level.

To my oppinion, I cant go "more native" than that.

And beside some drivers I need do enable networking on the motherboard, there's no additional fun stuff installed.

And on the other hand, my system works fine - without NIS :-)  :-(

back to you

Andy

Kudos0

Andy16 wrote:

And beside some drivers I need do enable networking on the motherboard, there's no additional fun stuff installed.

And on the other hand, my system works fine - without NIS :-)  :-(

back to you

Andy

I understand that, Andy.  But what we have been finding over the past nine months is that NIS 2009 has been acting as a catalyst that triggers coding errors in otherwise functioning programs.  A number of companies have actually rewritten code because of this, modifying drivers or what not; and fixed what first appeared to be a Symantec issue.

I suspect that might be part of the issue here.  I know that network card drivers have been among some of the offenders, but I can't speak beyond that.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I can ask you the right questions about drivers, etc; and might find the crux of the problem.  Alternatively, you might do a site-search for some of your drivers and apps and see if they have been discussed here before.  I know that's a real pita, but I don't know what else to suggest at the moment.

Good luck.

Kudos0

Andy16,

You are not the only one who has experienced problems with NIS2009 on XP Home SP2 and SP3.  As in previous postings I also had the same issue.  XP Professional does not show the same issues (although there is an impact on performance with NIS2009) as the Home version so I suspect the issue is strictly XP Home.

I have used NIS for years and have not experienced the problems I did with NIS2009.  I usually run XP Professional but for some odd reason I couldn't find my CD so I loaded the Home version and noticed the same issues you did.

While it is possible 3rd party drivers are the culprit and not NIS, I would suspect NIS2009 is truly the culprit since the drivers are the same for XP Home and Professional.

Regards,

Chris

Kudos0

cfryett wrote:

While it is possible 3rd party drivers are the culprit and not NIS, I would suspect NIS2009 is truly the culprit since the drivers are the same for XP Home and Professional.

Regards,

Chris

But if that were true, Chris, why would there be a problem only with XP Home?

Kudos0

That is a good question which is hard to answer.  The problem is once it locks up the box all is lost for the system configuration file gets corrupted and life goes downhill.  In one week I rebuilt my computer 4 times using the same drivers I used for Windows XP Professional, and once I loaded NIS2009 it locked up tighter than a new cork screw going into a small bottle.  I loaded NIS2007 and ran it for a week with no problems, but once NIS2009 was loaded (after a clean removal of the previous version) the same problems Andy16 had I also experienced. 

Luckily I have found my XP Prof CD so I am in much better shape now so personally I don't care anymore (small lie) if NIS2009 works on XP Home or not.  I know there is a problem although I don't have the time to investigate it.  I'll wait for Windows 7 to come out in hopes the problem has been resolved.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.