• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Jumpy NTB (v2014.6.4.11) causing jumpy webpage displays in Chrome (v32.0.1700.76 m)

The latest NTB "fix" for Chrome v32 "mostly works" on my NIS v21 test system, though the jumpy floating rendering of it is quite annoying.  The problem happens when the webpage display window for a website (i.e., Yahoo) is scrolled...  The NTB will randomly jump to various locations down the page as the page is scrolled then it will suddenly snap back to its normal top-of-page location where it then causes the entire webpage to be adjusted downward to create space to accommodate its top-of-page location...

The test system is configured with the Windows 8.1 Pro OS using only the drivers supplied by Microsoft with the Win 8.1 Pro OS and subsequently updated only via Microsoft Windows Updater.

Kind regards,

John

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Jumpy NTB (v2014.6.4.11) causing jumpy webpage displays in Chrome (v32.0.1700.76 m)

The latest NTB "fix" for Chrome v32 "mostly works" on my NIS v21 test system, though the jumpy floating rendering of it is quite annoying.  The problem happens when the webpage display window for a website (i.e., Yahoo) is scrolled...  The NTB will randomly jump to various locations down the page as the page is scrolled then it will suddenly snap back to its normal top-of-page location where it then causes the entire webpage to be adjusted downward to create space to accommodate its top-of-page location...

The test system is configured with the Windows 8.1 Pro OS using only the drivers supplied by Microsoft with the Win 8.1 Pro OS and subsequently updated only via Microsoft Windows Updater.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Re: Jumpy NTB (v2014.6.4.11) causing jumpy webpage displays in Chrome (v32.0.1700.76 m)

Kudos0

Hi Yank!

Yes, did all that...  But since the issue doesn't "fit" the posting crteria for Tony's thread, I decided to start a new one instead.

As to the issue I'm seeing - I even tried installing the items in question (NIS & Chrome) on a freshly installed, otherwise unmolested, Win 8.1 Pro OS installation - Same results.  I like to try such things on a purely generic, all MS installation / configuration so as to "hopefully" rule out the majority of "unknowns" that may otherwise inhabit the mix.

Also, and FWIW, I see that the v21 "Prompt for Vault Login/PW" issues are still manifest in the latest v21 rendition...  Guess I'll put the test system back into cryo-storage for another month or two, at which time I'll thaw it out again and give this all another try.  

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi, John. I have the latest Chrome on my Windows 7 machine and it scrolls perfectly, either using the Scroll Bar or the arrow keys.

I have hardware acceleration disabled.

Maybe a Windows 8 associated problem, only ?

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

F4E wrote:

Hi, John. I have the latest Chrome on my Windows 7 machine and it scrolls perfectly, either using the Scroll Bar or the arrow keys.

I have hardware acceleration disabled.

Maybe a Windows 8 associated problem, only ?

Thanks for the response F4E -

I've tried HW acceleration set to both on and off with no effect to the issue.  But it's certainly a possibility that it has something to do with Windows 8.1 when used in combination with Chrome v32 and NIS v21.  And it may also have something to do with the overall "horsepower" of the system being used - I like to deliberately throw curves at these testing scenarios, so in this case the test system is an older Intel Centrino (single core) based HP notebook (circa 2005) using Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver (that's included with the Windows 8.1 base install driver set).  It's also possible that the issue occurs so quickly on a faster GPU & support driver that it's difficult to perceive that any anomalous redraw behavior is actually occurring - but even still, the fact remains that the exact same system configuration (minimal freshly installed Win 8.1 Pro) but with NIS v20 & Chrome v31, does not exhibit any such jumpy redraw behavior - in fact, with the predecessor versions in place the system is capable of scrolling quite smoothly while the v20 NTB stays firmly anchored in place to the top of the displayed webpage.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi John,

You mentioned Yahoo web page - what about other web pages? 

May I assume you have tried other browsers on the same somewhat anemic test system and Yahoo?

Also, as you are well aware - there are literally millions (perhaps even more) system setup possibilities and not everything can be tested in every possible setup - so those setups that produce a one off situation may fall thru the crack and I have to agree that those one off systems may not receive much attention from the responsible team at Norton.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to stick up for anyone, but it appears to me in this case you have gone out of your way to test on a less than typically set up system.

Just my 2 ¢!

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Hi John,

You mentioned Yahoo web page - what about other web pages? 

May I assume you have tried other browsers on the same somewhat anemic test system and Yahoo?

Also, as you are well aware - there are literally millions (perhaps even more) system setup possibilities and not everything can be tested in every possible setup - so those setups that produce a one off situation may fall thru the crack and I have to agree that those one off systems may not receive much attention from the responsible team at Norton.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to stick up for anyone, but it appears to me in this case you have gone out of your way to test on a less than typically set up system.

Just my 2 ¢!

Hi Yank,

Any webpage that is long enough to be scrollable has the issue when scrolled in Chrome.

The problem is unique to Chrome, presumably because of the manner by which the NTB must be implemented in Chrome which does not inherently support "classic" toolbar implementations.  IE and FF both support such toolbar add-ons and assumedly are therefore easier for 3rd party vendors to create toolbars for.

Whatever method the earlier Norton product NTB implementation team(s) were able to come up with in order to pull off a viable "smooth performing" Chrome NTB interface has apparently either been lost to, or intentionally discarded by, the v21 team.

You are quite correct that I've "gone out of my way" on this test regarding my selection of HW - but I've also "a feeling" that we'll see more reports posted about this aspect of NTB v21 for Chrome as time passes since it can take time for users to notice such nuances.

I'd label this similarly to the yet to be addressed "Vault Prompting Bug" which is also what I'd term a nuance issue since it doesn't inhibit the use of the product, but is nonetheless a definite nuisance to have to deal with in the daily use of the product.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

I agree with the Vault Prompt Bug being a nuisance, but I do not believe the V 21 team lost or discarded the smoothness - but rather that Chrome has changed something (like how it handles extensions and only permits extensions that are available from Chrome)?
Kudos0

yank wrote:
I agree with the Vault Prompt Bug being a nuisance, but I do not believe the V 21 team lost or discarded the smoothness - but rather that Chrome has changed something (like how it handles extensions and only permits extensions that are available from Chrome)?

Granted Yank - And I'd be the last to say that I'm in any way happy with, or in favor of, the current direction in which Chrome is being taken...

And unfortunately even the current NTB "Chrome fix" effort may yet prove to be only a temporary one. 

Here's a link to a December CNET article regarding the sorts of issues 3rd party developers are up against with Chrome:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57616148-93/google-kicks-toolbars-out-of-chrome-web-store/

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

I also get the jumpy, floating toolbar in Chrome 32. In addition I see graphics errors just below the toolbar when it returns to the top of the page.  It looks like the top row of the page is being repeated. I have the latest version of NIS and Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Kudos0

FWIW, Today's update(s)/patch(es) which Tony announced in an updated message posted here...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Toolbar-Google-Chrome-32-Compatibility-issue/td-p/1075531

...has, for me at least, fully addressed the "Jumpy NTB / Jumpy Webpage" issue in Chrome.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Oops...

Looks like I spoke a little too soon about this issue being fixed...

FWIW: This screen capture was from different and much more mainstream (Core I7 + Intel HD Graphics 4000) system than the one I first noticed the problem on and initially posted the issue about...

Kind regards,

John

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Issue Update:

Another Chrome extension, the "Logitech Smooth Scrolling - v6.60.170" extension, seems to be the co-causative for the jumpy behavior.

FWIW; In previous version co-mixes of Chrome, the NTB, and LSS, there was no such apparent negative behavioral interactions.

Kind regards,

John

Edit:  This finding also applies causally, effectually, and remedially to the newly released NTB 2013.4.7.3 as well. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.