• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Just how safe is to use Norton 360 with Firefox version 3.6

I would like to know what level of protection I am receiving whilst using Norton 360 with Firefox 3.6

As the Norton IPS 1.0 and Toolbar 3.7 do not work. I noticed antiphising definitions are not updating.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Just how safe is to use Norton 360 with Firefox version 3.6

I would like to know what level of protection I am receiving whilst using Norton 360 with Firefox 3.6

As the Norton IPS 1.0 and Toolbar 3.7 do not work. I noticed antiphising definitions are not updating.

Kudos0

You will have all the protection Norton 360 offers (SONAR, Auto-Protect, Firewall, etc.), only the extra plugins available in FF and IE that is missing. So you will be "fully" protected.

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

PapauZ wrote:

You will have all the protection Norton 360 offers (SONAR, Auto-Protect, Firewall, etc.), only the extra plugins available in FF and IE that is missing. So you will be "fully" protected.

Thanks Papauz, but I cant be fully protected because my anti phising definitions have not been updated since the 18th of January. Does anti phising definitions update rely on the the Norton plugins working in Firefox? because if not I have a problem, in that it is not updating. As far as I can see everything else is working o.k, it just appears to be anti phising.
Kudos0

reactivate wrote:

PapauZ wrote:

Thanks Papauz, but I cant be fully protected because my anti phising definitions have not been updated since the 18th of January. Does anti phising definitions update rely on the the Norton plugins working in Firefox? because if not I have a problem, in that it is not updating. As far as I can see everything else is working o.k, it just appears to be anti phising.

These are updated a bit more rarely than virusdefs and pulse updates.

If you feel unprotected, you can always download the intelligent updater from here what contains the latest defs:
http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

PapauZ wrote:

reactivate wrote:

PapauZ wrote:

These are updated a bit more rarely than virusdefs and pulse updates.

If you feel unprotected, you can always download the intelligent updater from here what contains the latest defs:
http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

Actually according to my security history, up until 18th of January my anti phising definitions were being updating everyday and more than once in a day. I'm not really sure which of the of those updates you mention I should install.  I am wondering whether I should try to re-install Norton 360, maybe that will solve the problem. I certainly cant afford to contact Symantec technicians to sort a problem out that is not of my doing.
Kudos0

Seems that checking for “malware delivering websites” using Norton’s Anti-phishing function is redundant when using Firefox. If this is so with the browser you’re using, I’d turn off the Norton function.

In Oliver Fisher's blog post "Cross-site Warnings" he mentions the use of Google "Blacklists" by several browsers for the purpose of identifying websites that are compromised or contain compromised content from other servers.

Extract from Blog post:  

"Several browsers use data from Google's malware list to protect users. Firefox 3, Chrome and Safari all check sites that users are visiting against Google's list and warn users if they are about to visit a dangerous site. There are some small differences in implementation across browsers that can cause confusion.

All three browsers check the address of the top-level page a user is navigating to. That protects most users in most cases. But, a web page can include content from another web page and if the included content is malicious then users may be exposed. Chrome (and Safari*) [and Firefox 3.5+] check every request against Google's malware list. This means those browsers will protect users even if malicious content from a flagged page is embedded on a non-flagged page.

Updated: FF3.5 checks every request against the blacklist and helps better protect users. FF3.5, Chrome and Safari all behave the same now."

Kudos0

CWH803 wrote:

Seems that checking for “malware delivering websites” using Norton’s Anti-phishing function is redundant when using Firefox. If this is so with the browser you’re using, I’d turn off the Norton function.

In Oliver Fisher's blog post "Cross-site Warnings" he mentions the use of Google "Blacklists" by several browsers for the purpose of identifying websites that are compromised or contain compromised content from other servers.

Extract from Blog post:  

"Several browsers use data from Google's malware list to protect users. Firefox 3, Chrome and Safari all check sites that users are visiting against Google's list and warn users if they are about to visit a dangerous site. There are some small differences in implementation across browsers that can cause confusion.

All three browsers check the address of the top-level page a user is navigating to. That protects most users in most cases. But, a web page can include content from another web page and if the included content is malicious then users may be exposed. Chrome (and Safari*) [and Firefox 3.5+] check every request against Google's malware list. This means those browsers will protect users even if malicious content from a flagged page is embedded on a non-flagged page.

Updated: FF3.5 checks every request against the blacklist and helps better protect users. FF3.5, Chrome and Safari all behave the same now."

I have reverted back to 3.57, I thought that was the best option.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.