• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

just received the new patch - atm everything seems to be working fine, but NIS took much longer to load up - maybe it's because it's the 1st reboot after applying the patch - no other issues atm

[edit: changed subject to better reflect thread topic] 

Message Edited by Tim on 11-10-2009 03:49 PM
----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


cinek wrote:
just received the new patch - atm everything seems to be working fine, but NIS took much longer to load up - maybe it's because it's the 1st reboot after applying the patch - no other issues atm

Me too!  So far so good...  Plus, the shutdown took longer than usual before the restart.

[edit: changed subject to better reflect thread topic] 

Message Edited by Tim on 11-10-2009 03:49 PM
“ We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard ”--President John F. Kennedy
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Same over here :-) The patch also arrived in two parts when I ran LiveUpdate manually. After the second part had been installed, I was told to restart my computer.

[edit: changed subject to better reflect thread topic] 

Message Edited by Tim on 11-10-2009 03:50 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I didn't know that a patch was installed until after I ran LiveUpdate manually.  I guess the patch installed on the machine by itself via autoupdate.
“ We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard ”--President John F. Kennedy
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

The patch can be received both ways - via manual LiveUpdate, and via automatic LiveUpdate :-) You can read this post by Tim:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&message.id=85856#M85856

And here's the link to the sticky as well:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=85746

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-11-2009 12:59 AM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I just received the patch. When I ran live update manually, it installed something and asked me to reboot. After reboot

I have 17.1.0.19. Everything seems OK with my system  Ran a quickscan, it worked properly.

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


cinek wrote:

just received the new patch - atm everything seems to be working fine, but NIS took much longer to load up - maybe it's because it's the 1st reboot after applying the patch - no other issues atm


Hi cinek,

After rebooting again, does it still take a while to load up? Was it only the first time after the patch? 

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

On my system, NIS2010 is very last thing to load now.  I have rebooted twice since the patch and it the last thing to load even with Early Load set to ON.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Hi dbrisendine,

Are you talking about the program itself or the icon on the notification tray? The icon on the notification tray doesn't appear when NIS is loaded. NIS is actually loaded much earlier (even with Autoload turned off). That's simply when the User Interface is accessible.  

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I downloaded Version: 17.1.0.19 via LiveUpdate.

NOTE: The only problem was I had to reBoot system twice to get back on-line.

Maybe had something to do with me being on a dial-up service.

Other than that , seems to working correctly.

 

Computer #1 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 IE11 NIS Version: 22.5.5.15 Malwarebytes`Anti-Malware - free (on demand) SAS - free (on demand) #2 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 IE11 NIS Version: 22.5.5.15 Malwarebytes`Anti-Malware - free (on demand) SAS - free (on demand)
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


Tim wrote:

cinek wrote:

just received the new patch - atm everything seems to be working fine, but NIS took much longer to load up - maybe it's because it's the 1st reboot after applying the patch - no other issues atm


Hi cinek,

After rebooting again, does it still take a while to load up? Was it only the first time after the patch? 


it seems to have taken longer on the 1st reboot - looks like it's fine now :)
----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I ran Live Update, then ater successfully download the update and installed it, I saw the summary. And in the summary told that NIS received Product Updates, but it didn't require to restart. Until now, I still didn't receive the new patch, my NIS version is still 17.0.0.136. Even I tried to use 'Check for New Version', it still show that I use the latest product, so what should I do?

Surface Pro3 - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring) | ASUS N43S - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring)
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


peace_wanderer wrote:

I ran Live Update, then ater successfully download the update and installed it, I saw the summary. And in the summary told that NIS received Product Updates, but it didn't require to restart. Until now, I still didn't receive the new patch, my NIS version is still 17.0.0.136. Even I tried to use 'Check for New Version', it still show that I use the latest product, so what should I do?


Hi peace_wanderer

The patch is on a phased release so just hasn't got out to you. Once it goes to a general release it will get picked up by your liveupdate.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


peace_wanderer wrote:

I ran Live Update, then ater successfully download the update and installed it, I saw the summary. And in the summary told that NIS received Product Updates, but it didn't require to restart. Until now, I still didn't receive the new patch, my NIS version is still 17.0.0.136. Even I tried to use 'Check for New Version', it still show that I use the latest product, so what should I do?


I also received the product update in the morning (the same day as the patch) but the patch came in the evening - so you might get it tonight

----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Oh, I see now! Thank you for all of you! :D
Surface Pro3 - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring) | ASUS N43S - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring)
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I can confirm that boot is slower than it was with 17.0.0.136 version.

At first boot i think that "maybe NIS is finishing update" or something, but second time when i boot i noticed that welcome screen is visible almost ten seconds. I booted few times more, but everytime welcome screen is visible quite long.

Before with 17.0.0.136 version i barely see welcome screen because it just quickly flashed. I use Intel X25-M G2 SSD, but with 17.1.0.19 boot time is compared to "normal 7200rpm HDD". :(

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


Tim wrote:

Hi dbrisendine,

Are you talking about the program itself or the icon on the notification tray? The icon on the notification tray doesn't appear when NIS is loaded. NIS is actually loaded much earlier (even with Autoload turned off). That's simply when the User Interface is accessible.  


I understand about the notification try icon but I believe the program / service is taking longer to load and start.  My network connection is being delayed a consierable time during bootup now as opposed to before the patch.  The SYSTEM ccSvcHst.exe service has a much higher PID than before and I now get the rotating circle in the NIS2010 gadget sometimes but not everytime on startup.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I never seem to get these updates but i could do with them as im sick to death of ccSvcHst.exe crashing every time i reboot.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Hi allsorts

It's being given out on a controlled basis thru live update and autoupdate. Unless it is pulled for some reason, you will receive it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

allsorts -

On the ccSvcHst crashes, have you tried uninstalling NAV / NIS2010, using the Norton Removal Tool and reinstalling NAV / NIS2010?  (You should be cautioned that the Norton Removal Tool will remove ALL Norton products on your system.)

The Norton Removal Tool is available here.

NAV2010 is available here.

NIS2010 is available here.

The last two do NOT include the patch / update to version 17.1.0.19 but the repair installation may correct the ccSvcHst crashes before applying the update.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


allsorts wrote:
I never seem to get these updates but i could do with them as im sick to death of ccSvcHst.exe crashing every time i reboot.

Allsorts, there is only one official update patch.

About two weeks ago, Symantec released a faulty patch using their standard limited distribution policy.  They quickly learned that the patch was faulty and ceased all further distribution.

Then a few days ago, they released a new patch following the same limited distribution policy.  This one must have proven effective, because as far as I can tell they are now releasing the patch generally.  By last night, all four of my household computers were patched to 17.1.0.19.

If I am right, then by now you should be receiving (or have received) this patch.  Look in the main console and click on Help>About and see version number you can.  If you don't already have the patch, you can tell if it is waiting by opening the console and see if there is a request that you reboot.  If not, you can manually launch Live Update two or three times and see if that makes any difference.

If you don't yet have this new version and you can't seem to get it, then keep reading:


As other posters have already suggested, you must have NIS2010 to get this patch.  You can tell if you have NIS2010 by the version number.  If the version number does not start with a 17, then you do not have the right version.  You should follow the links given then download the correct version and install it per the advice given.

If this is not the problem, then keep reading:


It is time for some queries.  You have probably already answered most of these before, but I am an old man and don't remember much of what I read any more, so bear with me and answer them again.

1.  Do you have any other anti-malware installed on your computer, either enabled or disabled?  This includes such things as McAfee, Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, Windows Firewall (only if enabled), and similar products.  If enabled, any of these products could potentially conflict with NIS (or each other, for that matter) and result in a BSOD, especially during a reboot.  Some of these products (with the certain exception of Windows Firewall) might even cause a problem while they are disabled.

I am concerned about the BSOD at reboot because it has the potential to corrupt a patch or installation.

2.  If your answer to 1. is "no", then DID you have any such anti-malware on your computer previously?  It is not uncommon for a product to be incompletely uninstalled when it is removed.  The "artifacts" left by an incomplete removal can cause BSOD's and other problems.  Some products have special clean-up tools you can get from the company's website; others need a registry cleaner.  If you tell us the product, we can give relevant advice.

3.  If your answer to 2. is "no", then have you tried uninstalling/re-installing NIS2010?  Did you use the Norton Removal Tool?  If so, did anything unusual happen when you did so?  Error messages, crashes, etc?

4.  If your answer to 3. is that you tried those things and had no problems, then have you tried a registry cleaner.  CCleaner is a good, free registry cleaner available from www.cleaner.com and there are other good one that have been recommended by other posters here.


Please report back here and let us know what your answers are, and also what your current version of NIS2010 is.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


mijcar wrote:

allsorts wrote:
I never seem to get these updates but i could do with them as im sick to death of ccSvcHst.exe crashing every time i reboot.

Allsorts, there is only one official update patch.

About two weeks ago, Symantec released a faulty patch using their standard limited distribution policy.  They quickly learned that the patch was faulty and ceased all further distribution.

Then a few days ago, they released a new patch following the same limited distribution policy.  This one must have proven effective, because as far as I can tell they are now releasing the patch generally.  By last night, all four of my household computers were patched to 17.1.0.19.

If I am right, then by now you should be receiving (or have received) this patch.  Look in the main console and click on Help>About and see version number you can.  If you don't already have the patch, you can tell if it is waiting by opening the console and see if there is a request that you reboot.  If not, you can manually launch Live Update two or three times and see if that makes any difference.

If you don't yet have this new version and you can't seem to get it, then keep reading:


As other posters have already suggested, you must have NIS2010 to get this patch.  You can tell if you have NIS2010 by the version number.  If the version number does not start with a 17, then you do not have the right version.  You should follow the links given then download the correct version and install it per the advice given.

If this is not the problem, then keep reading:


It is time for some queries.  You have probably already answered most of these before, but I am an old man and don't remember much of what I read any more, so bear with me and answer them again.

1.  Do you have any other anti-malware installed on your computer, either enabled or disabled?  This includes such things as McAfee, Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, Windows Firewall (only if enabled), and similar products.  If enabled, any of these products could potentially conflict with NIS (or each other, for that matter) and result in a BSOD, especially during a reboot.  Some of these products (with the certain exception of Windows Firewall) might even cause a problem while they are disabled.

I am concerned about the BSOD at reboot because it has the potential to corrupt a patch or installation.

2.  If your answer to 1. is "no", then DID you have any such anti-malware on your computer previously?  It is not uncommon for a product to be incompletely uninstalled when it is removed.  The "artifacts" left by an incomplete removal can cause BSOD's and other problems.  Some products have special clean-up tools you can get from the company's website; others need a registry cleaner.  If you tell us the product, we can give relevant advice.

3.  If your answer to 2. is "no", then have you tried uninstalling/re-installing NIS2010?  Did you use the Norton Removal Tool?  If so, did anything unusual happen when you did so?  Error messages, crashes, etc?

4.  If your answer to 3. is that you tried those things and had no problems, then have you tried a registry cleaner.  CCleaner is a good, free registry cleaner available from www.cleaner.com and there are other good one that have been recommended by other posters here.


Please report back here and let us know what your answers are, and also what your current version of NIS2010 is.


Hi ,

no update for mine yet.....  checked and still the installed version ...  170 .136.   Nothing changes on reboot.  

No other antispy or security, no uninstalled software ever, sys 2 weeks old .  XP Pro SP3.    I dont use registry cleaners ever as i dont uninstall software as i use true image instead .  Never liked reg cleaners !!   Tried reinstall of NIS 2010, no good.   2009 version worked flawlessly though.   No BSOD on reboot its an error that says .  "  ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read"  and checked my RAM with MEMTEST.... all well and good as i suspected.  No other cause except NIS 2010 isnt stable on XP.

Thank you.

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


allsorts wrote:

...

Hi ,

no update for mine yet.....  checked and still the installed version ...  170 .136.   Nothing changes on reboot.  

No other antispy or security, no uninstalled software ever, sys 2 weeks old .  XP Pro SP3.    I dont use registry cleaners ever as i dont uninstall software as i use true image instead .  Never liked reg cleaners !!   Tried reinstall of NIS 2010, no good.   2009 version worked flawlessly though.   No BSOD on reboot its an error that says .  "  ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read"  and checked my RAM with MEMTEST.... all well and good as i suspected.  No other cause except NIS 2010 isnt stable on XP.

Thank you.


Thank you for the quick reply.

A couple of items have me confused.  You say you don't use registry cleaners because you use "True Image."  Would you explain that for me?

As for your system being two weeks old, that doesn't mean you don't have bad registry errors.  A client of mine got a new machine from Dell and it was loaded with bloatware and applications that actually caused BSOD's.  Do a Google-search on Dell and BSOD's to see how widespread a problem that has become with Dell.

If you are referring to Acronis True Image, that is absolutely hopeless for fixing inherent errors.  Why?  Because it isn't supposed to.  I know this because Acronis TI is my backup application of choice.  Used at its very best, it restores your computer to a previous state.  If the previous state was corrupted, then your present image is corrupted.  Even worse, if your previous state included a virus that was not yet publically known, then that virus will be immediately re-introduced into your computer; and that virus' presense in the operating system can actually supercede any anti-malware you are planning to install.  That is, it can interrupt the updating process, can interfere with the working of that anti-malware.  We've had this discussion on these boards before; and the safest re-imaging of a hard-drive would be to its factory state.

I am also concerned now when you tell me that your system is two weeks old.  Does that mean you just bought or build your system two weeks ago?  Or do you mean that two weeks ago you restored your system to what you thought was a safe state by using Acronis TI?

I would suggest that if nothing else, you should download and install ccleaner, run its registry problem detector and look at the entries.  You don't have to use it to fix anything.  At least, you will know when ccleaner "thinks" are problems on your computer.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Hi allsorts

If you are having problems with your program working, then the only way to really fix it is to uninstall the program first. You can't really just reinstall a program on top if it isn't working correctly in the first place. This is a case when you should unistall the program completely with add/remove and then use the NRT with reboots after each run of it. Then check to see if all folders etc have been removed. Save your product key first though and remember that the NRT will remove all Symantec products. I would then try a clean install of NIS and see if that doesn't fix your problem.

Upgrading a product by going on top of another program may work if the first program is working ok, but it really won't fix a program by running it on top again.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Hi all,

i did a full format reinstall 2 weeks ago and backed up with true Image 2010, before that NIS 2010  gave me the  "ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read" error  and after installation of NIS 2010 on the fresh install i got  "ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read" other XP Pro SP3 users have reported this issue as well.

Still not fixed i guess.

Its not a big deal just wish people would blame NIS and not us users all the time. Besides i stated 2009 worked great and 2010 isnt great.

Message Edited by allsorts on 11-12-2009 12:34 AM
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


allsorts wrote:

Hi all,

i did a full format reinstall 2 weeks ago and backed up with true Image 2010, before that NIS 2010  gave me the  "ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read" error  and after installation of NIS 2010 on the fresh install i got  "ccSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read" other XP Pro SP3 users have reported this issue as well.

Still not fixed i guess.

Its not a big deal just wish people would blame NIS and not us users all the time. Besides i stated 2009 worked great and 2010 isnt great.

Message Edited by allsorts on 11-12-2009 12:34 AM

This is different than your first description of the problem.  Are you still getting BSOD's?  Do you get this memory error on a regular basis?

As for blame, few of us are trying to blame.  But you need to be aware that most users do not have this problem.  For the few that do, it is often something that has happened to their machine or something their machine came with.  It would do little good for us to explore the Norton structure, even if we could.  Perhaps there is something in the coding which if tweaked would keep your computer from having the problem it does; but it is unlikely any of us are capable of finding it.  Nor would we try.  Since there aren't that many people with the problem, it makes more sense for us to try to find out how your computer is different than the rest of ours and then see if that difference can be modified.

As for my questions, then, my reading is that your machine is not new.  That your did re-image it to some earlier date.  That you haven't explored the registry with a problem searcher.  Correct me if any of these are not correct.

Also, do you have System Works on your computer?  There is an aberration in how it integrates with the Recycler that causes those kind of messages.  If you have SW, I can tell you how to fix that problem.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

The error is real and it is there for some of us. It was there in the beta and it is still there so it is NOT our systems acting up on their own! You also have to remember that there are probably lots of others that see this error that either don't visit the forums here or really know and understand what the error is from. If Symantec chooses to ignore those of us still getting the error because it is "fixed" for the majority, does that still really solve the [problem?
~ How do I un-overwrite all my data? ~
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


Boofo wrote:
The error is real and it is there for some of us. It was there in the beta and it is still there so it is NOT our systems acting up on their own! You also have to remember that there are probably lots of others that see this error that either don't visit the forums here or really know and understand what the error is from. If Symantec chooses to ignore those of us still getting the error because it is "fixed" for the majority, does that still really solve the [problem?

Which error are you referring to?  The poster has mentioned at least two.

By the way, I maintain the computer security for nine computers.  Eight of them have no issues whatsoever.  No BSOD's.  No memory errors.  The ninth does have numerous BSOD's.  The ninth has tried Symantec for eight months and then McAfee for five.  No difference at all.  The other eight have only been Symantec.

It is pretty much a random sample.  My main intrusion has been taking care of their malware and general month-to-month maintenance (or half year to half year since they don't seem to need much maintaining).  Using this sample, 11% of people have BSOD's and 0% of them are related to Symantec.

Now, being a mathematician, I don't really believe this is anything like an adequate sample.  But it is informative.

My take is that there is something going on in my ninth client's system that causes BSOD's in the presence of any anti-malware program.  And I am determined to find out what that is.  If I do, I will be glad to share it with everybody here.

In the meantime, you might try switching to McAfee for four or five weeks and let us know if that makes a difference.  If nothing else, that will be more data for us to work with.  Believe me, I want all the useful data I can get.  It's been a pain.  I would recommend, though, that whatever anti-malware product you decide to try, you drop that company name plus BSOD into a Google search and see what is happening out there.

For my client, I pretty much have narrowed it down to her problem being Dell.  She has a Vostro and it has since turned out that the Dell Vostro's of the time that she bought it are suffering a high incidence of BSOD's.  Fortunately she has a long warranty and if I can't pinpoint anything else, we are going to act on it.

That, too, might be an idea to try.  Put your machine and BSOD into a Google search and see what turns up.

So, it sounds like I am denying that NIS could be causing your problems.  Not so.  How in the world would I know that?  I am saying that nothing has given me anything like convincing proof that it has.  I can certainly see that you are convinced it is so; but unfortunately one man's conviction is another man's doubt.  What I am willing to accept so far is that somehow NIS has been a catalyst in the problems experienced by your computer.  My interest would be what configuration set up your computer to respond to that catalyst.  Give me more evidence and I will gladly change my position.  I am used to making mistakes.

Message Edited by mijcar on 11-11-2009 11:07 PM
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I was referring to the ccSvcHst crashes on reboot. I am using Win XP Pro SP3 on an old P4 2.8 GHZ that I built myself over 10 years ago. I didn't have the crashes on NIS 2009. I did the Norton Removal tool route and a fresh install and the error still happens, as it did in the betas.
~ How do I un-overwrite all my data? ~
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Back to the original intent of this thread:

NIS2010 updated to 17.1.0.19 yesterday on my system: Win7 Ultimate (7600) 32bit [in place upgrade from Vista]. 

Notification area showed three Norton Internet security icons (2 for ccSvcHst and 1 for the Service Framework);

NIS2010 was now the last software to finish loading on startup and hung the network until it was finished loading;

Insight Protection screen could no longer read how many times NIS2010 had querried the Insight Database servers. 

Office 2007 virus scan hangs and stops files from loading by double clicking them in Explorer. 

NIS2010 had error 10015 in module 3040.  One Click support wanted to connect me to chat to Support Tech.  After waiting 20 minutes, decided to do it myself and removed NIS2010, followed with a reinstall.  Now back at 17.0.0.136 and everything about NIS2010 is running perfectly again.

On a side note; when the update was on my system, I checked FF3.5.4 and the Norton BHO were running perfectly but FF told me that some of my other addons were no longer supported in 3.5.4 and I should update FF.  Now at 3.5.5 and all addons worked perfectly; just wondering if the patch problems were originally FF's and not Norton's.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


dbrisendine wrote:
 

NIS2010 updated to 17.1.0.19 yesterday on my system: Win7 Ultimate (7600) 32bit [in place upgrade from Vista]. 

Notification area showed three Norton Internet security icons (2 for ccSvcHst and 1 for the Service Framework);

NIS2010 was now the last software to finish loading on startup and hung the network until it was finished loading;

Insight Protection screen could no longer read how many times NIS2010 had querried the Insight Database servers. 

Office 2007 virus scan hangs and stops files from loading by double clicking them in Explorer. 

NIS2010 had error 10015 in module 3040.  One Click support wanted to connect me to chat to Support Tech.  After waiting 20 minutes, decided to do it myself and removed NIS2010, followed with a reinstall.  Now back at 17.0.0.136 and everything about NIS2010 is running perfectly again.

On a side note; when the update was on my system, I checked FF3.5.4 and the Norton BHO were running perfectly but FF told me that some of my other addons were no longer supported in 3.5.4 and I should update FF.  Now at 3.5.5 and all addons worked perfectly; just wondering if the patch problems were originally FF's and not Norton's.


Are you saying that there are problems with 17.1 version of NOS2010,  could it be because you upgraded from Vista?  Still have not gotten my 17.1....but I would wait for all the bugs to get fix before receiving.

Thank you

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Yes I agree Sea_Monster, it would be better to receive the patch when all the bugs have been fully ironed and I also have not received the patch till now.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


Boofo wrote:
The error is real and it is there for some of us. It was there in the beta and it is still there so it is NOT our systems acting up on their own! You also have to remember that there are probably lots of others that see this error that either don't visit the forums here or really know and understand what the error is from. If Symantec chooses to ignore those of us still getting the error because it is "fixed" for the majority, does that still really solve the [problem?

Its the same error i get when rebooting or shutting down. Its just an "application errror" pop up box when rebooting.  It is caused by NIS 2010 as it doesnt happen ever with 2009.  There is not a BSOD, just the error box on the shutting down screen.

Pop up box .................  "cSvcHst.exe - Application error The instruction at <memory location> referenced memory at <memory location>. The memory could not be read"    click ok and pc reboots. nothing in NIS error report.

They keep mentioning BSOD but i havent seen any !!

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Umm,, just asking, when will the patch be available for all user? Thank you very much! :D
Surface Pro3 - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring) | ASUS N43S - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring)
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


peace_wanderer wrote:
Umm,, just asking, when will the patch be available for all user? Thank you very much! :D

Hi peace_wanderer

At this stage it is not possible to answer that question. Once Symantec are happy that the phased release has achieved its objectives and they have proved it is OK then they will make it generally available 

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


peace_wanderer wrote:
Umm,, just asking, when will the patch be available for all user? Thank you very much! :D

There is no fixed date for general patch availability at the moment.

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


peace_wanderer wrote:
Umm,, just asking, when will the patch be available for all user? Thank you very much! :D

On second thought.....I am really thankful that I have not yet received 17.1.0.19...considering there are still issues yet to be resolved.

Whew!!!! I would have gone CRAZY not knowing what to do with all the errors.....

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

That is assuming that all these errors being reported are patch being bad, and not just a bunch of users suddenly reporting pre existing errors that this patch never intended to fix in the first place as i've seen a few times already.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I have 17.1.0.19 and other than the error I reported, it is running fine here. I am using XP Pro SP3 so I think it might be Windows 7 messing with it more than Symantec being at fault.
~ How do I un-overwrite all my data? ~
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

And yet I did get the .19 patch and I haven't had any of the "errors" others report -- XP Pro SP3 fully Windows Updated.

I do notice a slowness to get to the stage of using my desktop and even when the NIS icon appears in the system tray clicking on it does not cause the NIS application screen to open for an appreciable period of time -- such things always seem to take longer than any time measurement would show but the appearance of the icon does not mean that the system is ready to be used.

I don't deny the existence of any of the problems people are having but I always put them into perspective by remembering the problem when N260 was upgraded from V1 to V2 and my file manager, and Windows explorer, promptly crashed the moment you used a right mouse click on anything. I was not alone in this and everyone, including Microsoft, blamed Norton .....

Norton did some investigating and found that the people behind the file manager I used had issued a patch to one of their dlls that fixed this and when Norton looked into it further this is what they found:

1 -- Microsoft had issued a changed protocol to do with the context menus ...... but did not immediately adopt it themselves! However they did adopt it later but did not tell anyone they were catching up with themselves .....

2 -- Norton did adopt it for N360 V2.

3 -- Other programmers did not adopt it.

When all three were on a computer at the same time the file manager and Windows explorer crashed.

Remove 2 and it was OK

Who's to blame? Not Norton since when 3 corrected their out of date dll everything was OK again.

What a mess but think of a city with a one way street that used to be a two street -- call the city  Microsoft -- and a Norton car is happily driving along the street following the one way system when it is hit by a car going the wrong way! If Norton was not there, no accident, but it's not Norton's fault .....

Let's hope we can all settle down to peacefully using our computers ....  <s>

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Boofo -

If you are refering to my previous post, v136 runs fine on Win7, with absolutely NO errors of bugs in the program.  Version 17.1.0.19 produces all the errors; returning to v136 made the errors go away.

As a side note, software may be approaching the "spliting" point were there is one version for XP / Vista and another version / install for Win7.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Yes, I was about to say that. It's very difficult to make one program that is going to work on all operating systems without having some problems.  Maybe it would work ok for Vista and Win 7 since I have heard that the 2 systems are similar in some ways. When you bring XP into the picture, there is quite a difference comparing xp and Vista.  For my benefit, just don't end xp support. Maybe it's necessary now to have 2 separate versions of NIS/NAV 2010,  a separate version for Win 7 since there are so many different versions of Win 7 out there and even some Win 7's that you can use XP mode. I guess for that reason, you really can't have a separate version for Win 7 unless there would be like an addon if your win 7 uses xp mode.

We do have to remember that Win 7 is still quite new and it takes time to work out the kinks of using a new o/s. That's the main reason why I wouldn't run out and get a new o/s as soon as it comes out., But that's just me......

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

I got the patch for my windows vista desktop and windows 7 laptop.

Desktop is ok, but laptop seems to be slower now.

Desktop is connected to N-router via ethernet cable, but laptop is wireless.

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

So far so good.....don't know about you...even though, I was very excited about 17.1.0.19, but when I update it; I get nervous.  I prayed that my notebook will be okay.

My prayer works.  Seems to be working well, except a little slower (during booting) than last version.

Of course, I do alot of updates for my softwares....but updates for NIS does give me "a little stress".  (remembered one bad update in version NIS2009) Whew!!!

Thank you.

TGIF

Message Edited by Sea_Monster on 11-12-2009 02:06 PM
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

The patch may have been going slowly, but it surely keeps going!... It just arrived in my place about 40 minutes ago. No major issues with this 17.1.0.19, till now except, some of those add-ons in FF have so far resisted leaving on their own...

How on earth do you get rid of these rascals:

Norton IPS 1.0  (Apparently replaced by version 2.0)

Norton Toolbar 3.7 (Seems to have been replaced by version 4.0)

ThinkVantage Password Manager 3.01 (Looks like an unwanted visitor...)

(But at least, this one has the decency of stating it is "Not compatible with Firefox 3.5.5")

Does anyone know how to show them the door, please?

Thanks for any help with this.

P.S. - Did anyone happen to have updated FF to the last version 3.5.6? Any issues? I'm a little reluctant of jumping the gun and landing on another minefield... 

Message Edited by LinYu2 on 11-12-2009 10:25 PM
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

David,

I would have thought the dividing line would more likely be between XP and before and VISTA and afterwards. Microsoft said in one of their blogs that the core file of WIN 7 is actually 6.0 as in VISTA although others are 6.1 <s>

Sticking in 32 bit of course I've not found any of my somwhat old peripherals that do not work in WIN 7 using VISTA or even XP generation drivers when WIN 7 does not have one. And I'm using some really old software too back to Win 98

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Got the update at last !   Dont know if itll fix the reboot errror but anyway..  will NIS 2010 be updated to the new version if alls well ,  so i can download the full program as  NIS 2010 17.1.0.19  ?

Thank you.

Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


allsorts wrote:

Got the update at last !   Dont know if itll fix the reboot errror but anyway..  will NIS 2010 be updated to the new version if alls well ,  so i can download the full program as  NIS 2010 17.1.0.19  ?

Thank you.


I'm not too sure what you're asking.  The update consists of a conversion package that updates NIS 2010 to the current version.  It's the only way to get the current version.  So if you got the update, and rebooted when asked, your version number should now read 17.1.0.19.  If not, then please report back here.

Actually, please report back here either way and let us know how things are going.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.


allsorts wrote:

Got the update at last !   Dont know if itll fix the reboot errror but anyway..  will NIS 2010 be updated to the new version if alls well ,  so i can download the full program as  NIS 2010 17.1.0.19  ?

Thank you.


Once Norton is fully satisfied with the 17.1.0.19 version it will eventually replace the one on the download servers I would expect but this is not as quick and simple operation as one might expect -- not only are there multiple servers around the world in different time zones but there are localized version to be prepared.

So based on previous experience with the download sites I'm sure it will happen but not immediately. Certainly given the size of the download this time I hope it will not take too long. Retail versions on CDs or thumbdrives stay on the original version usually.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

huwyngr -

Yes the line may be XP |  Vista & Win7 .  I know there was some work done on MS side make XP & Vista somewhat seamless from a developer's side of things.  Not sure about Win7; different memory usage and disk utilization for some tasks (boot up / start up, for example).  Some network core functions are different also. 

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos2 Stats

Re: Just received the 17.1.0.19 patch - thoughts.

Hello,

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the thread... I haven't posted here in a little while..

I have had the 17.1.0.9 patch for about 2 hours and everything is running just fine... nothing really to report here, although i would like to say great job by our friends at symantec... I feel they don't get enough credit for making such a great product... I have been a loyal Norton customer for years, and yes I have been around when the patches aren't bug free on the first try (like we all want)... =)

The other thing I would like to say is kudos to the great expert community norton products have...

Thanks for letting me rant in a positive manner!! :D

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.