• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Keep getting Scam 055BCCAC9FEC

I have been getting this message on a red screen which is very scary. The first time I panicked and got out of it without clicking on any link or calling the scam number. My question is why isn't Norton blocking this pop-up. I thought that was one of Norton's Security functions. I also have Malwarebytes Free version installed and I am considering upgrading to the paid version but I do not know if it will conflict with Norton. I can keep doing a shutdown but it is very concerning to have this situation on my computer all the time. Will appreciate a response.

Thanks,

Ana

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Keep getting Scam 055BCCAC9FEC

Hi @anaglezc,

Can you please provide below details for further investigation? 

- On which browser are you getting this scam message?

- Can you please post screenshot of the message?

- Do you still get this message after browser and computer restart? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

FWIW ~ Internet Security Alert! Code: 055BCCAC9FEC info.
https:// forums(dot)malwarebytes(dot)com /topic/216448-internet-security-alert-code-055bccac9fec/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/internet-security-alert-code-055bccac9fec/d6b7259c-38ed-44a4-bb50-e6efffbceac7

Kudos0

@anglezc,

Can't help with your problem, but just wanted to let you know running MB pro and Norton is fine. I've been running both for a while now with no conflicts or problems.

Kudos0

bjm_Your first link brings up this in IE11, NOT good!! @anaglezc Run Malwarebytes and allow it to remove the PUP from your browser.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

bjm_Your first link brings up this in IE11, NOT good!!

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/216448-internet-security-alert-code-055bccac9fec/ 
Note: my content provided AS IS.

Kudos0

NSBU 22.14.0.54 on IE11 returns blocked fake tech support scam 165. The browser isn't blocking it, the product pops up in the lower system tray. Just giving you an FYI!!

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

SoulAsylum:  NSBU 22.14.0.54 on IE11 returns blocked fake tech support scam 165. The browser isn't blocking it, the product pops up in the lower system tray. Just giving you an FYI!!

Hmm, IPS Alert ... forums.malwarebytes.com/
?

Kudos0

These fake support redirects are often malformed Java Script in ads on a page you are visiting. Disabling Java Script in the browser, or installing an ad blocker in the browser will help stop these redirects.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello

I just got the blockage also. It shouldn't be a live linkage in the Forum....

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for all the comments, but for someone with little technology background it is all confusing. The scam message came up while using Chrome. I do recall after being able to shut down that I did get a message from Norton on the lower right side indicating a blocked attempt; however when I go to Security Advance History I do not see it. Instead I see several blocks rated as medium risk of malwarebytes\anti-malware\MBAMService; which makes me wonder if Norton is blocking Malwarebytes protection. I was thinking about buying Malwarebytes premium but now I am not sure if it will work with Norton since it seems to be blocked. I remain concerned that neither Norton nor the Free version of Malwarebytes seem to block this image from coming on the screen. AG

Kudos0

I remain concerned that neither Norton nor the Free version of Malwarebytes seem to block this image from coming on the screen. AG

As I suggested, an ad blocker may help with this. Norton and MBAM are not blocking the images because the malformed ad is just redirecting your browser to a different page that displays that scam message. Browser pages often get redirected for legitimate reasons so that behavior is somewhat normal. So no reason for the AV products to block it. 

If the ad never gets loaded because of the ad blocker, the redirect will not get processed.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

SoulAsylum:

NSBU 22.14.0.54 on IE11 returns blocked fake tech support scam 165. The browser isn't blocking it, the product pops up in the lower system tray. Just giving you an FYI!!

Cheers

In relation to submission 83994.
Having reviewed the information provided we are unable to reproduce or confirm the issue described.
Sincerely,
Symantec Security Response

Kudos0

Ah well bjm_ Here are the current results on the "cannot reproduce or confirm" from the review. My product is up to date.

Nothing changed.

Cheers

Kudos0

SoulAsylum:

Ah well bjm_
Nothing changed.
Cheers

Since, you get IPS Alert.  I'll just mention that the forums.malwarebytes.com/topic contains a series of videos generated from fraud sites and a PDF screen show of fake alert screens for the purposes of recognition and education.

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_: 

Having reviewed the information provided we are unable to reproduce or confirm the issue described.
Sincerely,

bjm_:
Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and as such this detection will be removed from our products.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions.jsp

Please note that whitelisting can take up to 24 hours to take effect.

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.
Sincerely,

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.