• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Latest NIS update 3/27/2017 causes Outlook 2013 problem

Today, starting Outlook 2013 (click-to-run) I only receive the message: error: the operating system is not presently configured to run this application.  Tried a bunch of fix options found on the Internet; none worked, then I restored my system from a previously made backup.   Outlook works again - until - NIS was updated; then same problem manifested again.  Restored again, this time immediately putting NIS in silent mode to prevent updates; so far so good...   Noticed one of today's updates was a NIS engine update.  Help?

Labels: LiveUpdate

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Latest NIS update 3/27/2017 causes Outlook 2013 problem

Same issue...removed Norton and problem gone...reinstalled and problem came back. This is the second time in less than a year Norton had messed up one of my clients systems...not happy!!

Version 22.9.1.12
Kudos0

I have confirmed that this is caused by both Norton Security products and Symantec Cloud products.

I have found no solution.

Kudos0

Me too. Its not just Outlook, all of MS Office 2013 is non-functional after todays LU.

Kudos0

I have two computers with the identical problem...

Both are running the current version of Windows 10, Norton Internet Security, Office Home and Business 2013. 

Office opened as normal this morning on Desktop (HP).  I went to a remote location, used my laptop (Thinkpad)_and it worked all morning.  There was an internet outage at place of work, around 2PM CST, and I rebooted. Office failed with identical message this string is discussing.  I came home, and I booted the desktop and received same exact message and no access to any Office Program.

Kudos0

Hello

I used Outlook 2013 Click To Run early afternoon. I got the same error all of a sudden. The only thing that I saw that was new was a download of SDS Definitions and quick scan which ran fine. At the same time I got a new IPS. I didn't notice any new Engine. Perhaps you were getting 22.9.1.12. I got in touch with my son and he tried a repair of Office which at first didn't help. Then he tried opening it up again and it worked. He doesn't know what he did to fix it. Tried disabling Firewall and Auto-protect and that didn't help. I have restarted and opened and closed Outlook many times since and it has been opening and closing OK so far.

I had the problem for about 30 to 45 minutes. It might have started a little while before then, but I didn't use it at that time.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

IE 11

Norton Security 22.9.1.12

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello

I've reported this to Norton just before.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Experiencing the same issue.

So far we have only had reports from 2 users, but I fear that a more will be affected once they get back to their machines.

We have a deployment of a couple of hundred machines. I really hope this issue is resolved before they all get affected.

Kudos0

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We've informed the team about this issue and they are investigating the issue now.

I'll update the thread when I have more information.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos2 Stats

Hi everyone,

The update that caused this issue has been pulled back and the older version was rolled back to the LiveUpdate server.

Please run LiveUpdate and let me know if the issue is fixed.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I can confirm - on my computer, Office is working again once LiveUpdate cycled and completed the rollback.

Kudos0

Seems to be OK again.  "Only" several hours of productive time lost...

Kudos1 Stats

It is Exploit Prevention under Intrusion and Browser Protection in Firewall settings that is causing this issue. I encountered the same issue and found out from Microsoft forum that disabling Exploit Prevention resolves this problem until a fix is available from Norton, then you can re-enable it.

Kudos0

I enjoyed the same problem late last night. I though it was something I might have done and couldn't get Outlook 2013 nor Word to come up. 

This morning, all was well. I was ready to call Microsoft Support when I noticed everything was ok. I never knew anything about it being a Norton problem but Norton must have updated itself fixing the error. I've shut the system down several times and restarted it and Microsoft Office doesn't fail at all at this point. Am I correct in assuming that Norton did indeed update itself and thus the problem having disappeared?

Kudos0

Happy that you lost only a few hours of important production EricW. Hope you're doing better now. 

Kudos0

Hello

Please see Mohan's (Symantec Employee) post above about the issue being fixed overnight---at least where I am. Not sure which part of the program was actually causing the problem..

Thanks.

Kudos0

It was fixed here overnight also, although when I arose this morning, I wasn't aware it was fixed. I thought it was something I did last evening myself. 

It was just stated here earlier a couple postings up that it was Exploit Prevention within Norton that had flipped off the rails because of some update. 

Kudos0

Thanks Mohan. Whew... all better now!

Kudos0

I stayed up to 2 in the morning trying to fix something I thought I caused myself. Nearly had a stroke. Who would ever thunk to think it was Norton. EricW, not sure how you came across that cause I never would have found it. Shall we all have a moment of silence please? 

Kudos0

I experienced what I believe is the same issue.  My Outlook 2010 stopped receiving emails.  After talking with my ISP it was not on their end.  I did a clean boot start up and Outlook 2010 worked perfectly.  Started everything back up and and shut off Norton.  Everything worked.  So I turned Norton back on and all of a sudden it started working. 

I too have been so darn frustrated and have spend hours on this issue only to find it was what I suspect the latest Patch from Norton that caused the problem. 

I did turn Norton back on and now what ever was 'hanging' seems to have cleared itself up and my Outlook 2010 is working perfectly again.

Kudos0

Hello ddb

You are the first to have said that your Office was affected which was Office 2010. I haven't seen anyone else yet mention Outlook 2010 as having the issue. What about the other parts of Office 2010?

Thanks.

Kudos0

To be honest I did not try using any other of the MS Office Pro 2010 package, just Outlook.  It would not receive emails.  However it would send.  I had called my ISP and they stated it was a software issue.  None of what I tried with Outlook 2010 did anything to resolve the issue.

So I did a clean boot and all of a sudden Outlook 2010 worked as expected.  Mails were being received.  I restarted the Laptop and turned off Norton and everything worked and then turned Norton on and it continued to work.  I had just received the Patch from Norton and that's when I started having the problem.  Normally Patches require a reboot, however Norton did not prompt for this action.

I'm almost thinking something got 'hung' as I cannot put my finger on the exact cause.  But the only updates to any software in days was Norton.  Maybe unfair of me, but MS points the issue of the time out to a software or hardware that was added or updated.

Kudos0

Hello

I find it easier to tell the patch Later instead of doing it right there and then and then having to turn off various programs. After saying Later, I then restart and find I don't have a problem then. Just remember to run Live Update again to make sure you have all the updates.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Well, Norton asks if you want to apply now?  So I did.  And I always run live update again as a precaution.  So none of that should have caused the issue.

Kudos0

Just ran a LiveUpdate, first time since this was corrected. Immediately after the LiveUpdate installed, rebooted, and then tried to access Office; no go...

When opening Word, I get "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application." When I tried Outlook, it immediately crashed with the "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working" dialog box.

I didn't try any other Office programs - giving up and just coming here.

On that note, for future reference, even if this problem is rolled back similarly to above; please advise on how to perform a manual roll back in case I need to do so in the future - I really cannot be without my computer or Outlook...

Kudos1 Stats

Keep running liveupdate again and see if that helps...if not...uninstall norton....and temporarly install microsoft essentials for a little protection...that should get your email up and going.
Kudos0

I'll give that a shot in the morning, in the hopes Norton does an overnight fix again.

Kudos0

I'm having no problem with Outlook 2013 or Word with the latest update. Why can't I have problems like the rest?

Kudos0

Update: Ran LiveUpdate this morning, then tried Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel) -> no joy, still broken.

I then uninstalled Norton (keeping preferences and such), rebooted, and then tried Office again -> everything is working.

Because frustration sounds like so much fun, I then reinstalled Norton; all Office products are working after install -> lots of joy.

And because I like to tempt fate, I then ran a LiveUpdate, to which it also asked to apply a patch, and I did; after patch, everything is working as it should. -> so much joy :)

This was definently a Norton issue, something broke when I ran LiveUpdate last night; but reinstalling Norton did the fix.

Kudos0

Hello

Sometimes Norton can become corrupted and all that is needed is to run the Remove and Replace Tool and then run live update, restarting as necessary

There are a bunch of Office 2013 updates which came out today. Some of them are critical ones. After installing them, please make sure you restart your computer. By that I mean do not use the Shut Down Button and then start it up. Also, leaving the computer off overnight and then starting it up is not a proper Start Up  You should use the Restart or turn off Fast Start Up and then you can shut down your computer any way you want. This is for Win 8 and Win 10.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I am having the same issue, but it has affected not only Outlook 2013, but all of the Office Suite.  Computer running Windows 7.

HELP!

Kudos0

This problem has come up yet again... Others are having the same issue; I fixed mine by reinstalling Norton; but now, Outlook stalls at loading the Norton anti-spam plugin and I cannot open Norton to disable the plugin.

This is ridiculous!

Kudos0

Hello

I have Office 2013 Click to Run on a Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I just got an email, so my Outlook is working. Don't forget there were Windows Updates which had a lot of Office Updates in it. There also were Office Updates which have started to be distributed. Have you all tried restarting your computers a few times? There hasn't been any new patches that I know of.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello.

I had the same issue (MS Office blocked after install NIS) and thanks to this forum I quickly solved the problem.

Thank you.

Kudos0

Hello CARNEY

Good to hear.

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.