• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Losing 360 'dashboard"

I keep losing the 360 dashboard and have to restart my laptop to get it back, 3 times just today. Which, of course, means I have to log back in every time. It actually appears to still be working just can't get the dash board without restarting. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled a while back for the same problem. Running Windows 7 with all updates current. 360 is the latest version and always updated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Losing 360 'dashboard"

Hello Fulmer

Which browser are you using?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

The following procedure has been known to help with difficult problems.

Try clearing all Windows temp files. Then find the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete all the files in that folder. These files help Windows load programs quickly. They will be recreated when Windows is restarted.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restart the computer once more. The first restarts may take a little longer as the Prefetch files are recreated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I am not on the browser when this happens. I'm just trying to open the 360 icon on my laptop.

Kudos0

I'll give this one shot, thanks.

Kudos0

Hi, Fulmer. Are you talking about not being able to open the 360 icon in your system tray, or an icon on the desktop ?

If a tray icon, you should be able to launch by right clicking on it.

If a desktop icon, you can go to your program menu, and select your Norton product.

Right click on the program, and select Send to Desktop--- Create Shortcut.

On the shortcut, right click the icon and Select Properties/Advanced, and check Run as Administrator.

Does that launch 360 ?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Neither icon works. Running as administrator changes nothing. When I say I can't open it, I must explain. From the bottom right tray, I can get a "dashboard"/suite of sorts to open. It is a nearly blank page with Norton logo and one or two links. Most of the page is non-responsive to mouse clicks. I must right click on the "opened" icon on the left side tray and use the red X to close that page. I can go to the icon under the start button and get limited control there such as live update and quick scan but I have no option to do a full scan or reach settings. All this until I restart the laptop and everything works normally.....for a short period. I have restarted the laptop probably 5 times yesterday and must again as soon as I finish this post. I am not sure I am comfortable deleting all the Windows files suggested before. I do thank you for your help.

Kudos0

It might be worth using the Norton Removal Tool for a more thorough uninstall, rebooting, and then downloading a preactivated copy of 360 from your Norton account.

Then running Live Update manually until no more are found, and reboot again.

https://www.norton.com/nrt

Have you tried that approach ? It will at least, give you a clean fresh install.

It is safe to delete the files peterweb suggested, as they are temporary files and prefetch files for loading things faster.

They are not critical, and will be recreated as mentioned.

Are other programs displaying correctly ? Have you updated your display adapter drivers ?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Thanks, I did use the removal tool and did a new install previously. I will try deleting the prefetch files.

Kudos0

I've completed deleting prefetch and did another uninstall/reinstall and still have the same problem.

Kudos0

Hello Fullmer

Do you have any other real time security programs on your computer now or did you have any other previously.? If you had any previously, did you use the removal tool from the other company?

Have you checked the condition of your hard drive? You might have some bad sectors on the drive.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I do not have any other real time protection nor in the past. I just did a check of the hard drive with no diagnosed problems. For the moment (fingers crossed) the suite seems to be opening properly. If not, I'll hope for more input. Thanks all.

Kudos0

Hi, Fulmer. Are you able to run a full scan on your machine, either in normal or safe mode ? If you have, did it come up clean ?

I'm just wondering if you may have some malware on your system, that's stopping 360 from operating correctly.

I ask this, as installing Norton on an infected machine will cause problems.

Just a thought.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Actually, when I did an uninstall/reinstall yesterday it came with an "upgrade" to Norton Security w/Backup. I don't know if it is a better program than 360 but it appears to have solved my initial problem. Thanks all.

Kudos0

Hi, Fulmer. Norton Security has replaced the legacy products, of which 360 was one.

Although the basic coding is the same, you may want to take time to go through your new settings to both familiarise yourself and to set them to your preference.

Hope your problem is solved, and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask !

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.