• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

MalwareBytes Vs. NIS 2009?? Unauthorized Access

The first of a plethora of posts:

I have coupled MalwareBytes along with the recently updated NIS2009 ever since I could blasted with VirusDoctor. Now whenever I run a quick scan or a full scan with MalwareBytes, Norton has logged in its History the following:

Severity: Medium

Unauthorized access logged (Access Process Data)

The file is under malwarebytes'anit-malwarefile: \mbam.exe

It is accessing the following:

Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\ccSvcHst.exe

Can anyone help me with what this means?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: MalwareBytes Vs. NIS 2009?? Unauthorized Access

The first of a plethora of posts:

I have coupled MalwareBytes along with the recently updated NIS2009 ever since I could blasted with VirusDoctor. Now whenever I run a quick scan or a full scan with MalwareBytes, Norton has logged in its History the following:

Severity: Medium

Unauthorized access logged (Access Process Data)

The file is under malwarebytes'anit-malwarefile: \mbam.exe

It is accessing the following:

Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.5.0.135\ccSvcHst.exe

Can anyone help me with what this means?

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

It's Norton Tamper Prevention.  It means that MBAM is scanning Norton.  Norton won't allow it to access it's files or make changes. MBAM is not causing any problems about it.  It is just being logged in history.  Quite a few other programs will do the same thing.  The only time there is a problem is when the scanning program fails to back off gracefully.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2009 is an all in one program and it monitors your computer for a wide range of security threats.

Malware bytes in my mind can only be considered a supplement to NIS at best.

Anyway, your problem is not really a problem after all. Malware bytes did a full system scan of all the files on your computer. Because NIS is on your computer, malware bytes is going to scan it and its processes. ccscvhst.exe is a process that is necessary for any norton product to run. The tamper protection feature in NIS noticed that malware bytes was trying to access its files and processes and so it logs it as an unauthorized access.

This should not pose any problem unless this being logged in norton's history is annoying. Personally I only use NIS and I have not experienced any security threats. A full scan by malware bytes is usually recommended by forum members only if on the rare occasion NIS cannot remove a threat. If you want you could simply leave malwarebytes uninstalled until that occurs. Of course lets hope that day never comes .

Kudos0

It is not a bad idea to leave the free version installed as some malware will prevent its being downloaded when you need it.  Before it is used, it needs to be updated to obtain the latest definitions.
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Thanks everyone for setting my mind at ease. XD

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.