• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Matousec Firewall Challenge results (with NIS 2009)

Matousec Firewall Challenge results (with NIS 2009)
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php
Thank you Symantec Staff!
NIS 2009 do better than previous version, but I think it still can be do better in the next test.

And.. PC Tools also get good scores.

Message Edited by ONE on 09-15-2008 08:54 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Matousec Firewall Challenge results (with NIS 2009)

Many thanks for the share ONE. NIS 2009 does a very fine job compared to many out there, icluding Zone Alarm Pro.Message Edited by Peter-Duminy on 09-15-2008 10:07 PM
Peter.
Kudos0

ONE

Thank you for posting. 

And very well done to Symantec. That's a great outcome

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

The question is if they run all software with its default settings or turn everything on/to the highest, like in this case Advanced Event Monitoring. There's a BIG difference between the default, automatic operation of NIS compared to the AEM-feature being on, and Matousec is after all a lot of prompt-testing... Nothing of this is discrediting your work in any way - it's outstanding results compared to the previous edition, but this year's also has the addition of this feature, so that makes me wonder. EDIT: I've read their methodology, but then the question is still if AEM is on or off, cause there's no "between" (if you don't count just turning Automatic Program Control off, and I don't since I don't see a possibility of big differences in testing-results - not that big).Message Edited by RavenMacDaddy on 09-16-2008 07:05 PM
Kudos0

That was with the 16.0.0.125 version. Would 16.1.0.33 do any better in testing? A firwall good on resources is nice, but that ranking worries me.
~ How do I un-overwrite all my data? ~
Kudos0

NIS09 is a bit loose because its firewall is silent, compared to Zone Alarm's noisy firewall.

One user reported disasterous results w/ Zone Alarm on this forum yesterday; they had no clue of the consequences of clicking yes on every ZoneAlarm prompt.

=\
Kudos0

Tech0utsider wrote:

NIS09 is a bit loose because its firewall is silent, compared to Zone Alarm's noisy firewall.

One user reported disasterous results w/ Zone Alarm on this forum yesterday; they had no clue of the consequences of clicking yes on every ZoneAlarm prompt.

I switched from Comodo Firewall Pro so I am used to annoying pop-ups. I was just surprised that the NIS 2009 firewall did so poorly on the Matousec Firewall Challenge but did so well on the PCMag test.
Kudos0

NIS09 has a silent firewall designed for beginners that do not know what connections to establish or connect to.

As for leaks; the firewall is solid. 

=\
Kudos0

Tech0utsider wrote:

NIS09 has a silent firewall designed for beginners that do not know what connections to establish or connect to.

As for leaks; the firewall is solid. 

Ok, I'm taking your word on that now. ;)

You can also turn on the pop-ups in the Advanced options. Even those are few compared to Comodo's Firewall.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.