• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Microsoft Outlook 2007 and NIS 16.7.2.10

Since I installed this update, I have been unable to receive POP3 email from 3 accounts at Verizon.net. The incoming mail failed with an error 0x80042108. The outgoing appears to be fine. I also have an MSN (MAPI) account with Outlook Connector which has not had any problems.

If I turn off "Scan Incoming Email Messages" in NIS, the problem goes away.

I am running Outlook 2007 on a Windows 7 Professional (Release to Manufacturers) dual boot machine. I tried this on my other partition, a Windows 7 Release Candidate with Outlook 2010 Technical Preview, but no NIS, and I had no problem.

I also check a different PC with the previous version of NIS, Outlook 2007 and Vista Home Premium SP2 and had no problem accessing my verizon.net email.

I have turned my Incoming Email Scanning off until I see a response to my posting that the problem has been resolved.

Apparently, there have been a lot of problems with this particular patch - hopefully they will be cleared up in short order.

Message Edited by blegs38552 on 08-20-2009 07:11 PM
ASUS Intel i7 desktop 16 GB RAM, 2 GB discrete Video RAM, 1 TB HDD, 180 GB Corsair Force 3 SSD, Windows 8.1 Preview, NIS 2013 and NIS Beta for Windows 8.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Microsoft Outlook 2007 and NIS 16.7.2.10

Just to add to this post - I looked at NIS today and it shows 17 hours since my last virus definitions update. Tried running Live Update and was told that it could not connect to the server and that I should check my internet connection. Obviously, since I am writing this, my internet connect is fine.

I appreciate Symantec having rushed this patch out to accommodate the Windows 7 early users, but given the amount of problems that the downloaders have incurred, a fix is in order, and sooner rather than later.

ASUS Intel i7 desktop 16 GB RAM, 2 GB discrete Video RAM, 1 TB HDD, 180 GB Corsair Force 3 SSD, Windows 8.1 Preview, NIS 2013 and NIS Beta for Windows 8.1
Kudos0

One of the things I have seen cure this with Outlook (in other Symantec Testing)  is to go to the Firewall settings for Outlook and change it from Auto to Allow - not sure why/how this makes a difference but it is worth a try.
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Thanks, but it did not work. Same error message. Only way for me to send or receive my email through Outlook is to disable the incoming email scanning.
Kudos0

Sorry that it didn't work for you. Will keep the issues  in mind and if anything occurs to me I will post a response.
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

One more update - I checked my Vista machine this morning. It updated to 16.7.2 but Outlook is able to received email, and Live Update is working. Could these problems be strictly related to Windows 7?
Kudos0

Not aware of that issue with Win 7 RTM. I use the same config as you. Win 7 RTM (Ultimate, but shouldn't make any difference), Outlook 2007 and NIS 2009 update 16.7.2.10 and don't have your issue.
Kudos0

Strange..............and Live Update is still not working.
Kudos0

Might be worthwhile looking through all of the Firewall settings and checking what all of the norton/symantec programs are set to.

One other issue that created funnies with my other Beta testing a couple of weeks ago was the Network List Service in Services being set to Manual and not running. Worth checking it is set to Automatic and Started.

Kudos0

Network List Service ss set to Manual and is started. Decided to leave it that way since it is running.

Regarding the firewall, I don't see any Norton/Symantec apps in the Programs Control listing.

Does Live Update have a specific firewall entry? Also,I don't see any log entries for either problem.

Message Edited by blegs38552 on 08-21-2009 06:54 AM
Kudos0

Should be set to Automatic. Set it that way and see what happens Stop and Start the service. Maybe also try a reboot if stop/start doesn't work.
Kudos0

Outgoing mail is not being sent either. Had to disable outmail mail scan in order to send message.

I had another anti malware program, Microsoft Security Essentials installed prior to NIS. I have disabled it but it still shows as running in the MS Action Center.

I changed the service to auto, and will reboot and see what happens.

Regarding the email, I will try and get the Norton Removal Tool for 2009, totally remove NIS, uninstall the Microsoft program and reinstall NIS. Maybe there is a conflict, but since Microsoft does not check incoming or outgoing email, I tend to doubt it.

Kudos0

Having 2 AV programs running is a real "Ooops". Your suggested course of action is good in that you will be getting rid of the MS program - may be worth just a deinstall of that one first before you deinstall NIS??
Kudos0

Did as you suggested. All problems still present. Will do full uninstall and reinstall of NIS 2009 and see what happens. If the problems persist, I will dump NIS 2009 and use the Microsoft antimalwae andfirewall instead - at least the price is right.
Kudos1 Stats

Did the full uninstall and reinstall. Downloaded the latest NIS 2009 and reinstalled. Was able to run Live Update and left the email scanning on. I was able to send and receive email in Outlook 2007.

Let see what happens as the days go forward.............

Kudos0

blegs38552 -

Before the clean install, you could have Reset the firewall and then tried Outlook. ( Settings > Smart Firewall > Advanced Settings > Firewall Reset > Reset )

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

That's brilliant news. Glad that it got there in the end and, hopefully, it will stay fixed. Once you are happy could you mark the thread as resolved which will keep it below head height for everyone else.

Good work with the fix.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.