• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Multiple instances of Norton 360

I have multiple instances of Norton 360 in my system tray.  I'm running Windows 8.1.  I have no idea if this is the way it's supposed to work.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Multiple instances of Norton 360

Have you restarted since two Icons appeared ?
Two Norton System Tray Icons is a cosmetic anomaly that has been reported.  Some fix by setting boot time protection to aggressive.   This is the doc here referring to this anomaly.  Since it involves going into the registry read and understand the .
Registry is best left to experts.   The anomaly has no affect on product performance....just happens sometimes on product update or install. EightForums warns (link is external) that Fast Startup can cause a variety of restart and shutdown issues. If you experience any such issues, try to turn Fast Startup off.

Kudos0

I also have 2 Norton 360 icons in my system tray on Windows 7 Pro. This has happened almost a year ago and then was corrected by an update. Both instances show running when I open the Notification Icons. I have changed one to hide, but the icon still appears when I open the system tray. This is in addition to the active one I already have displayed on my screen. When I restart, just one shows, but the second appears several minutes later. I tried deleting current icons from the registry but that did not seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Kudos0

Mark Torpey:

I tried deleting current icons from the registry but that did not seem to work.

Have you tried setting Boot Time Protection to Aggressive.  

Kudos0

Thanks for your input.

I tried this, rebooted and now have just one icon in my system tray, but two still show when I open the notification list. As I mentioned earlier, I know this happened almost a year ago, My response from Norton was that it was a "known issue" and fixed sometime soon. My question now is if the double occurrence is just a mirror or are two incidences of Norton 360 being installed?

Kudos0

Mark Torpey:  My question now is if the double occurrence is just a mirror or are two incidences of Norton 360 being installed?

As reported numerous times to the point where it's credible.  Only one instance of N360 running.  Check Task Manger.  You should see two N processes. One for System and one for User.   That's normal for one Norton product running.  

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.