• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

My FileZilla has stoped working, using Norton 360

Hi

I have this classical problem, it seems. I have started using Norton 360, Windows 7-64, and now my FileZilla has stoped working, I can no longer transfer files. It worked before, I use out of the box settings for Norton and FileZilla, my other FTP program WS_FTP is working ok.

I have googled around for several hours over a couple of days, and tried all sorts of proposed solutions, nothing is working. 

With FileZilla I can see the existing files on the web server, and when I try to transfer files they appear on the server in the transfer window for fractions of a second, but they don't stay.

Since most of the proposed solutions I have found are rather old, I am hoping for some up to date information. I must admit that I don't like clicking around like a blind madman inside the setup of FileZilla and Norton 360. That is not the way to do it. I feel my activities compromise security.

There must be some straight, foolproof way to get my FileZilla working again.

Regards
Jesper Tverskov

Replies

Kudos0

Re: My FileZilla has stoped working, using Norton 360

Same here ... worked flawlessly for years.  Now ... nada!

Kudos0

Hi Jesper and welcome!

I am using FileZilla on a Windows 7 x64 with NIS and have not experienced any issues.  Let's try to get your issue worked out by allowing me to ask a few questions.

1. Is your FileZilla client up to date?  The most recent stable version being offered is 3.10.1 published on January 31. However, I have not yet updated and am using v 3.10.0.2.
  2. You mentioned: "I can see the existing files on the web server, and when I try to transfer files they appear on the server in the transfer window for fractions of a second,..." 
  3. If the files are on the web server, where are you trying to move them to? To clarify, these are files in the right side window labeled Remote Site, correct?
  4. Are you using the drag and drop method?
  5. Have you used the menu option to Refresh the files and folders list?
  6. Have any FTP protocols on your server changed?

Sorry for the numerous question, just trying to fully understand what you are experiencing.  Reply back when convenient for you.

Thanks!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Thanks Phil_D:

I am experiencing the same issues as Jesper.  All those questions you ask I have checked.  Updated, no changes.  Worked flawlessly for years until about 2 weeks ago...then POOF!

Kudos0

Are you experiencing the same symptoms?

I am still trying to understand "I can see the existing files on the web server, and when I try to transfer files they appear on the server in the transfer window for fractions of a second,..." 

Are you trying to work with files already on the web server or transfer files from local to remote (server)?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi Phil:

I did not have that issue.  Just can't connect.  Connection time out, IP address issues, etc.

Trying to put a book out...under the gun with the printer.

Kudos0

I just updated FileZilla to v 3.10.1 to see if that caused me any problems, but all is working well.

If you want to start ruling things out, temporarily disable the Norton Smart Firewall and see if the connection can be established.

Let us know.

Kudos1 Stats

Jesper / TullyTrot:

Many users in the FileZilla forum are reporting a similar problem, and your issue could be related to a change in the default settings for v. 3.10.1.1 where FileZilla now automatically attempts to use FTP over TLS if the server announces support for it.

According to comments by forum admin botg in buksida's thread Error: The data connection could not be established: ETIMEDOUT, issues can occur if the backend server falsely reports that it is configured for TLS even thought TSL is not working.  If your problem persists try temporarily disabling TSL in the Site Manager as instructed in that thread and see if you are able to establish a connection.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 35.0.1 * NIS 2014 v. 21.6.0.32
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

My problem is solved.

It had nothing to do with Norton 360, only bad luck for Norton that I started using it around the same time as the problem arrived at my door.

The problem was an upgrade of FileZilla where FileZilla now automatically attempts to use FTP over TLS if the server announces support for it. For some reason the web server seems to do that without actually supporting it. The solution was to use FileZilla's Site Manager and use the option "Only use plain FTP (insecure)".

As I said: Norton was in no way part of the problem but even helped me solving it.

I'm sorry and I apologize.

Regards
Jesper Tverskov

Kudos0

Hello

I think this all came about due to a recent windows update.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.