• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

N360 Auto Backup trigger/delay

Is there a way of setting, or just seeing, the time delay before N360 auto backup begins?

I have recently updated to Win10 from Win7 where the backup would run if I left the PC unattended for an hour or so and report what it had done when I returned.

Since updating to Win10 I can prompt N360 to backup now, which it does, but I can't see any evidence of it picking up on changed files e.g. after several hours of inactivity.
I use the PC for processing photographs so each day there are several new RAW files which I would have thought would prompt an update to the backup.

I use Backblaze as my other non-local backup and it behaves as it did before the change to Windows 10.  N360 reports the last backup was 2 days ago.

I have also, removed, re-installed N360 and had it run live update several times.

regards
sdg.

Labels: Backup

Replies

Kudos0

Re: N360 Auto Backup trigger/delay

Hi Steve_Gale.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

I do not know how long Norton waits before running Auto backup or what triggers in terms of lack of activity/time etc. that it takes into account.  However I would be surprised if the settings are any different under Windows 10 from those under Windows 7.

If you want to get a better idea maybe the best thing is to run a test.  You might try something along the following lines.

1. Manually run a backup and note the date time.
  2. Then leave the backup set to Auto.
  3. Continue to work with the computer but leave the backup alone for a lengthy period - say a week.
  4. Run a manual backup and note what files are backed up.  The earliest date time stamp of the files backed up in this second manual backup should be just after the last Auto backup and that should give you some idea of when it was run.

Does that test make sense?  If you decide to run it do let us know how you get on and what you find.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos0

Mike - thanks - but I'm not seeing any evidence of autobackup  running at all.

Previously it would have backup e.g. yesterday's photographs by late evening,  the last backup was the one I ran two days ago.

If I ask N360 to restore images I know were copied to my Lightroom Catalogue yesterday,  they are not found.   My Backblaze backup does have them.

I was expecting N360 to backup recent files & images after an hour or two of inactivity, not to have waited over two days with several periods of quiet.

regards
sdg.

Kudos0

Hi sdg.

So it appears that it did not run in that shorter period, which is why I suggested that you tried over a week and see what happens.  Sorry if that sounds like a cop out but I have no idea how the code is written and without some further data I do not think I can do anything.  

You appear to think that Auto should backup at least once a day.  If you wanted to you could just hit the Run Backup button once a day or more often if you thought this necessary.  Probably not what you want but it should work.

Mike
Kudos0

Very odd - I found .dng files were not included in the list of file types identified as images.  After adding that into the file types list I noticed the back up drive had it's activity LED flashing and a while later the recent images & files have been backed up ... including jpgs which are in the images file listing, and a short text file I had been using as a test but had not been backed up previously.

I'm now seeing the prompt box which had gone astray when the PC returns from an idle period.

sdg.

Kudos0

Hi sdg.

So you use .dng files which were not previously backed up at all but after adding them in the backup now auto backs up those files and other files it had previously been ignoring?

The former is a feature built in to the standard Norton setup but the latter is puzzling.  I wonder if just hitting the Save Settings button somehow reset something in the Norton Backup set.

However delighted that your issue seems to be solved.

Good luck for the future.

Mike
Kudos0

Yes - that appears to be it ... the small text file and the jpg images have been backed up as well as the dng files.

regards
sdg.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.