• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos7 Stats

N360 strange screen item

Has anyone seen anything like this with their new Norton 360 product? I noticed a strange item in the middle of my desktop, and looking into it, it is somehow related to Norton 360. Clicking on the item on screen, or the task bar item does nothing. When hovering the mouse over the taskbar item for it, clicking the red X does not remove it.

Restarting the computer clears it. I have not seen it again since the restart.

Just got upgraded to Win Pro 1903  18362.295  64 bit.   N360 ver 22.18.0.213

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: N360 strange screen item

Hi @peterweb,

Thanks for reporting an issue in Norton Community Forums. I will report above issue to concern team. Please let us know if you see above issue again. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

Norton opens itself displaying a small graphic of grey and white in the center of the screen.  The graphic is almost not noticeable but appears to have "fogged" boarders around it.   When I use Task Master to see what is running, it takes me to a Norton file called branding.  (...Norton Security with Backup\Branding)  I am using Norton 360 Deluxe. 

What is this annoying thing and what is it doing that demands screen space without using screen space? 

I'll link an image when I figure how to capture it since it is difficult to see against my black desktop.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Kudos4 Stats

It's back. No other Norton UI active. Just appeared. I will not reboot until I hear from you. Although system might go to sleep overnight.

@Sunil_GA

Kudos0

I am running Norton 360 on an HP Envy with Windows 10. In the last few days, I have had the exact same problem as the person in this thread. https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8200101#comment-8200101 Norton opens by itself, displaying only what looks to be a white cursor in the center of the screen with shadow above and below it, and it will not allow me to close it. 

This seems sketchy, and is absolutely annoying. Please advise.

Kudos0

I'm having the exact same problem. I created another thread in hopes of drawing some more/faster attention to the issue. https://community.norton.com/en/forums/phantom-cursor-popup 

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi @peterweb/@K.R., I have sent you a private message with logs collection details for above issue. 

@K.R. - Are you able to reproduce this issue even after system restart? Can you please post screenshot of the issue How to post an image in the forums. ? 

Kudos0

I created another thread in hopes of drawing some more/faster attention to the issue.

Creating multiple threads can actually dilute the effect of an issue. If one thread has multiple users, it is easier to track and shows it is not just one or two users with the issue.

Kudos0

Also having this issue and it is rather annoying a reboot will clear it for awhile then it come back.

Kudos0

I have noticed the same issue on 3 pcs, all running latest versions of Windows 10. Same description as above with no way to close the window. Always comes back after restarting.

Kudos0

I have been seeing it routinely.  While it doesn't show up every day, it does show up on several days.  I can close it via Task Master.  When I ask Task Master to go to the location, I end up at a file folder called Branding.  I am using Norton 360 Deluxe on Win7.

Kudos0

Hi,

I think norton just updated itself yesterday or day before because I started getting more prompts about activating additional features and such.   I also noticed my system seemed a little slower (the whole reason I moved from Bitlocker is their 2019 version slowed down the system).   So can you check on your code to ensure not slowing down systems.  Anyway, the issue is yesterday and now today I get a norton 360 item on my task bar, when I make it active a small zero sized window shows in middle of screen, if i click to minimize, it goes away.  So it's like a window with zero size, but right click and close window doesn't work.   I had to reboot yesterday, can't right now.  I'll attach a pick of the item.  using Windows 10 pro for workstations.

Kudos0

Kudos0

@Sunil_GA, yes, the issue persists even after a system restart. I am also unable to close it even with Task Master.

Here is a screenshot. The item in the center is the popup I'm talking about, not the document's cursor. 

Kudos0

@Sunil_GA, I have also generated the requested logs, attached.

My OS is up to date as well, along with graphic drivers, as far as I know.

Kudos1 Stats

I also have the same phantom cursor (PhC for discussion purposes) and I offer a couple of observations that may provide more clues.  I'm running the latest update to Windows 10 and Norton 22.18.0.213

1.  I have two displays:  that on my laptop as well as an external display.  When in extended mode, with the external display as my main display, the phantom cursor appears on my external display but not my laptop.  If I set Display Settings to a single monitor (via a right click on my desktop), the PhC appears on whichever of the two displays I select as the only display.  In duplicate display mode, the PhC appears on both the laptop and external display.

2.  If I choose "Close Window" via right-click on the Norton icon in my taskbar, I find the following:
     a. left clicking the Norton icon in the taskbar will alternately turn-on/turn-off the PhC in the center of my screen.  When the PhC appears, the Norton icon is highlighted with a white-shaded box.
     b. clicking on the actual PhC (directly on the white vertical line) in the middle of my screen on my desktop, the white-shaded box appears around the Norton icon in the taskbar.  Clicking on the desktop (not on the PhC) will extinguish the white-shaded box.

3. If I right click the Norton Icon and left click to select either of Open My Norton or Norton 360 such that their respective windows will open, the PhC disappears.

4. Whether I choose "Close Window", Open My Norton or Norton 360, a representation of the PhC will appear in the pop-up window by the Norton icon when I hover my mouse cursor over the Norton icon in the taskbar.  When I hover after choosing Close Window, the proximity pop-up shows the PhC as well as "Norton 360".

Kudos0

This is what the pop-up looks like to me as seen on a blank Word page.  It appeared immediately after Norton completed a file back up process.  I closed it using the Task Manager and clicking the 'End Task' option. 

Clicking on the image does nothing more than activate or deactivate the bar on the taskbar.  For me it is like an open window on the desktop.  If I activate the bar on the taskbar, it appears.    If I click on the image on the desktop, it can make the bar go inactive.  If I right-mouse it, I get a response from the desktop only, which opens a menu that that shows options for changing the desktop view.

Kudos0

Kudos0

After an extended amount of time (over an hour), an un-closable Norton 360 process shows up on my Win 10 taskbar and process manager. When I click on it, a thin vertical white, shadowed line appears in the middle of my display. I've attached a screenshot of it. A second click on the taskbar process seems to minimize it. The only way to close the process is to reboot, but within an hour or two, it appears again. Trying to force it closed results in an 'Access Denied' message. The process is coming from a file called NortonSecurity.exe, and I did just recently upgrade from Norton Security.
Norton 360 EAP version: 22.19.8.41. Windows 10 version: Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202.

Let me know if any more information is required, and thanks!

~ScottR
Kudos0

I've been having the same issue for the past couple days as well. The window never goes away until I shut down my computer. 

Kudos0

Kudos0

Same issue with me.  It creates a Norton 360 icon in my toolbar which can't be closed, and attempting to close it through Task Manager has no effect either.

Kudos0

Ditto above - reboot doesn't effect. Cursor reappears

Kudos1 Stats

@Sunil_GA

Logs attached. Graphics and Windows up to date.

Kudos0

Same issue. Cannot close, cannot open, small line on desktop.... Task manager shows Norton 360 as attached.

Kudos0

I'm also experiencing this issue.  I upgraded to Norton 360 from Norton Security Premium just a few days ago (Aug 24). I installed it on my and my parents computers and this issue is happening on all 3 P.C.s.  Can't close it the normal way and task manager "end task" option doesn't work either.  If you hover the cursor over its icon on the task bar it looks like a large clear window with a single white line in the middle.  please help!

Kudos0

The attached picture shows the Norton icon in the taskbar and the "window" associated with it. I did not open the Norton 360 app, it just appears on its own. This started a couple of days ago. I have run scans and Live Update multiple times to no avail. I am holding off on a re-install for now. Anyone know what this is?

Kudos0

Kudos0

Each day when I get on my Windows 10 PC, Norton 360 appears in the taskbar to be open. But when I click on it, it will not open. And if I try to close it, it does not respond. I must first reboot the PC. Afterwards, I run Live Update, and then also Autofix. But the Autofix does not find anything wrong. Does anyone have a solution? I tried Live Chat, but it keeps telling me there is an unusually high volume, thus a long wait time. Thank you.

Kudos0

I have the same issue. It appeared on my screen this week (2019-10-25). When I click the toolbar icon the white line disappears.  If I click the icon again it reappears. This needs to be investigated. Attached are screenshots of the "little white line" and of the icon in the toolbar.  Notice that the icon has a blue line under it, showing that it represents a running process.

Couldn't upload the screen snips -- they aren't pdf, txt or zip.

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Our team looking into this issue and will update once we get more details on it. 

Kudos0

James Davies 7:

Couldn't upload the screen snips -- they aren't pdf, txt or zip.

>> How to post an image in the forums.

Kudos0

Same problem. It's been happening off and on for about a week. I won't bother with a screen shot, it's the same as all the others. I can only clear it with a reboot. I tried the "Get support" tag and the auto fix found some problem and fixed it which cleared the little image in the middle of my screen but it didn't close the active Norton 360 icon in the task bar. Task manager won't clear it, only a reboot gets rid of it - temporarily. Hope you can fix this soon it's very annoying.

Kudos0

The tool goes unresponsive for several minutes, then functions.

Since I cannot reproduce the issue at will, I do wonder if using the tool after the event will be useful enough.  The attached log is a general run and may not be useful at all.  I can run one after the event happens again if needed.

Since I am using Win7, there are no updates available as MS stopped supporting that OS.

My Norton product stated it was updated.

My graphic card does not have updates available so I assume it is updated.  It updates automatically.

Kudos0

Shadoza:

The tool goes unresponsive for several minutes, then functions.

Since I cannot reproduce the issue at will, I do wonder if using the tool after the event will be useful enough.  The attached log is a general run and may not be useful at all.  I can run one after the event happens again if needed.

Since I am using Win7, there are no updates available as MS stopped supporting that OS.

My Norton product stated it was updated.

My graphic card does not have updates available so I assume it is updated.  It updates automatically.

The tool went unresponsive for me as well. Just wait and it will continue. And yes, you need to wait for the issue to happen again before completing the log collection process. I had to wait for a day before the issue arose again. Even after allowing the computer to sleep multiple times, the log process was able to complete.

Kudos0

Log file while the phantom pop up is active.

Kudos0

Having the same issue. Will wait for a resolution
Kudos0

it's so annoying

Kudos0

I guess I'll just add a me too to this issue as it is also affecting me.

Kudos0

I have the same issue.  I was told by Norton support to resolve this issue I needed to download and run the Norton Uninstall, restart my PC, then download and install the newest version.  I've done that.  Now I'm waiting to see if it recurs tomorrow.

The link I was given for this is https://norton.com/nrnr

Kudos0

Hi,

Since upgrading to 22.18.0.213 I occasionally get a strange Norton icon appearing on the taskbar which when just show a "|" when pausing the mouse over it. I can't get rid of it unless I restart the PC. What is this thing doing?

Kudos0

I just posted a new thread regarding this very issue before finding this one. Moderators can delete my previous topic as I may as well join the bandwagon here.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Update: We have identified root cause for above reported issue and fix will be released within a day. Since this is a backend fix, system restart is required. 

Kudos1 Stats

That is wonderful news! Looking forward to the fix. Thank you!

Kudos0

Tremendous! You are saving my sanity. :)

~ScottR
Kudos0

yup. rebooting didn't remove it.  Also, i can't get rid of the taskbar item for Norton 360.  very annoying.  Symantec, please fix this! 

Kudos1 Stats

johnjayr:

yup. rebooting didn't remove it.  Also, i can't get rid of the taskbar item for Norton 360.  very annoying.  Symantec, please fix this! 

Have you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available? The fix should be out any time now. 

Kudos0

I had the same problem and just run Live Update several times until no more updates available...restarted and the problem seems to have gone.... 30 minutes since restart and still resolved..;-)

Anybody else ...??

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.