• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NAV 2008 LuComServer_3_4

Hello, 

I've got a problem with my Norton AntiVirus 2008:

One day after installing and updating it, I found a new process in my task manager called LuComServer_3_4.exe. 

It keeps using exactly 25% of my cpu power and about 11-13 mb cache. (I've got an amd quad core at 3 ghz)

I just recognized, that I can't run the live update when this tas is running. It keeps telling me, that a background update is still in progress.

When I try to change the lu settings in the usual norton window, the configuration dialog just stops responding on pressing ok after chaning any setting.

The "Symantec LiveUpdate Icon" in control panel keeps telling me the same thing (background update still runging, try again later).

I thought that it's maybe the option "perform quick scan after every update" and decided to quickly disable it after booting windows before LuComServer_3_4 started, but it still keeps running and using 25%.

Then I completely disabled auto update in norton configuration dialog --> no result.

Then I went to control panel --> "Symantec LiveUpdate", disabled automatic updates and cleared the cache, what only resulted in  errors on trying to manually start live update.

So I just tried to use the AutoFix utility to repair LU and got messages like "try again later, lu in progress".

I manually removed LU in control panel --> software and tried to reinstall it using this page what seems to be the autofixer, too.

While installing it tried to connect to a adress like "update.symantec.com" for 2 hours; then I aborted.

Now on visiting this website and trying to use the repair feature, I receive the error code LU1823 (a running instance of LU has been detected).

LuComServer_3_4.exe is running again with 25% usage.

I'm using Windows XP Professional x86 SP3. 

greetings,

Rhino Cracker

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV 2008 LuComServer_3_4

Please download the Intelligent Updater from here and manually bring the definitions up to date.  Please choose the correct file for your OS and product (I believe the first one should do the trick).  Let us know how this goes for you.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Hello RhinoCracker,

You might want to check these two Symantec KB articles.

KB link 1

KB link 2

They address stopping the LU process so that you can attempt to fix the issue.

I should also mention that you may be eligible for a free update to NAV 2009. However, you should know NAV 2009 doe not have an inbound firewall.

Let us know how you do with the suggested links or if you want to be directed to the update page.

[edit: didn't see dbrisendine posting]

Message Edited by Phil_D on 06-16-2009 09:40 PM
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Thanks for the fast answeres! 

I executed the intelligent updater and I think the update was successfull.

(The log file is here (some registry reading errors occured) ) 

But the update didn't change anything.

I just deinstalled Live Update again and installed the version I found here: 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/3.5/

Still same problem.....

It although seems like the LU-Stopper from KB Link 1 don't start.

It's loading; then I see this screen and nothing happens.

The manual way to abort a running background update (BK Link 2):

I had to restart my pc to uncheck the protection setting.

Then I was able to kill LuCallbackProxy.exe and LUALL.EXE.

I couldn't find AUpdate.exe, NDetect.exe or Lucomserver.exe or Lucoms~1.exe.

But I found LuComServer_3_4.exe and tried to kill the task: I didn't get the usual error message on trying to kill but it didn't close.

After this on trying to doa manual Liver Update it still told me that a background update is still in progress.

About the free update to NAV 2009:  

I already read that I can update for free but I didnt find informations how to do that.

Maybe I don't have this error in the new version so I would like to try it.

Can you redirect me to this update?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi RhinoCracker,

NAV 2009 uses a completely different method for updating definitions, which is extremely unobtrusive. You will find it to be lightyears ahead of the current Live Update process. However as I previously mentioned, NAV 2009 does not have an inbound firewall, so you will have to use a third party firewall.

Before providing the update link, I want to make certain that you have a valid retail subscription to NAV 2008 along with an activation key. If you have an OEM version (pre-installed) on your computer and are still operating under a trial period, then you will not be eligible for the free update.

If you are clear on the above items, then I would proceed as follows:

Since you have been having an issue with the LIve Update process, I would check to be sure that you computer is free of any threats.

Please download, install and  update the FREE version of Malwarebytes here. Run a complete system scan and if the report comes back clean, then continue with these steps:

1) Please make note of your product activation key and have it handy.

2) You can download the latest version of NAV 2009 here and Save it to your desktop.

Note that the link is to the USA/CAN website so if you are located elsewhere I'm sure you will be able to find the equivalent location on your local Symantec website; some pages have a link at the top right where you can select the country you are located in.

3) Download the Norton Removal Tool here and Save it to your desktop. If you have other Norton products on your computer, you should not use this tool as it will remove all Norton Products. If you have other Norton Products please do not proceed, but let us know.

4) Enable your Windows Firewall.

5) Run the Norton Removal Tool twice with a restart in between. Once finished, check in Add-Remove Programs to be sure Live Update and Live Update Notifier have been removed. If they are still present you can uninstall them. They are not required for NAV 2009.

6) Double click on the NAV 09 installer package on your desktop to start the installation. Near the end of the installtion, your current activation key should automatically be picked up. If not, you can manually enter the key.

7) Once NAV has been installed, please perform a manual "Run Live Update" from the main interface until there are no more updates left.

You should be using a third party firewall in place of the Windows Firewall. I'm sure some other members will jump in and recommend what has worked for them with NAV 2009. Until then, please keep your Windows Firewall enabled.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Ok, I downloaded, installed and updated Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and performed a full system scan with the result that my system was clean.

Then I tried to find the German version of NAV 2009, but I only found this page that enabled me to download a setup.exe with a size of 661KB; so I just modified the /norton_com/ of ur link to /norton_de/ and downloaded NAV09GE.exe.

Then I started the Removal Tool a few times with restarts between it (the first time it wasn't able to kill my new favorite task LuComServer_3_4.exe ;) ).

Then I started the NAV-2006-Installer which started to initialize .......... after about 20 hours of initializing I restarted, stopped the automatically starting installer of initializing, ran the removal tool again, cleaned my registry with RegCleaner, rebooted into safe mode, deleted all files containing "norton", "symantec" or "sym" from my system drive, rebooted and started the installer again - with success!

After installing NAV 2009 I successfully ran a Live Update and restarted.
Then I tried to run Live Update again. It's running now for about one hour and keeps telling me "Checking for Updates: Processing"

Kudos0

Hi RhinoCracker,

What type of internet connection do you have? Any idea of the connection speed? 

Have you checked in Add-Remove Programs to be sure that Live Update and Live Update Notifier are no longer present?

You could also try opening the main Norton interface and go to Help & Support > One Click Support and run an automated check of your Norton Product.

Let us know.

Kudos0

Hi Phil_D,

I've got a German 2mbit line what means 2048 kbit/s download and 192 kbit/s upload.

I checked the software window for any entries containing "Norton", "Symantec", "Live Update" or "Auto" and there weren't any.

I've tried the 1-click-support now: 
It's trying to check the connection for about 2 minutes, then it stops responding.
Kudos1 Stats

What type of firewall are you using, RhinoCracker?

Do you have any other security programs running in realtime?

When the One Click Support stops responding, do you get any message?

Thanks.

Kudos0

RhinoCracker wrote:

Ok, I downloaded, installed and updated Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and performed a full system scan with the result that my system was clean.

Then I tried to find the German version of NAV 2009, but I only found this page that enabled me to download a setup.exe with a size of 661KB; so I just modified the /norton_com/ of ur link to /norton_de/ and downloaded NAV09GE.exe.

Then I started the Removal Tool a few times with restarts between it (the first time it wasn't able to kill my new favorite task LuComServer_3_4.exe ;) ).

Then I started the NAV-2006-Installer which started to initialize .......... after about 20 hours of initializing I restarted, stopped the automatically starting installer of initializing, ran the removal tool again, cleaned my registry with RegCleaner, rebooted into safe mode, deleted all files containing "norton", "symantec" or "sym" from my system drive, rebooted and started the installer again - with success!

After installing NAV 2009 I successfully ran a Live Update and restarted.
Then I tried to run Live Update again. It's running now for about one hour and keeps telling me "Checking for Updates: Processing"

Please run the removal tool about two or three times. You might also want to try to download the trial,

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=27679&SP=10023&CID=0&PID=970039&PN=62&V1=970039, and use it with your current license.. The link I gave is the link to the German trial
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Thanks for your hint Phil_D!
I was using the Sunbelt/Kerio Personal Firewall.
It seems like the both, latest Sunbelt and the old Kerio version, prevent Norton Live Update and the 1-click-support from working!
I deinstalled it and everything is fine excpeting that I can't use my firewall anymore.
I didn't think about any errors from kerio, because I'm using it for more than 2 years although in combination with Norton and I didn't have any problems.
(Ok, on my old machine I had update problems, too, but i was able to fix it by installing the older 3.2 version of LU and it worked.)

Are there any options how to get NAV and Kerio working at the same time?Message Edited by RhinoCracker on 06-20-2009 01:24 AM
Kudos0

First, may I confirm that you are not using the Sunbelt Firewall and the Windows Firewall at the same time? 

I would check out this page and download the PDF users guide to see if you can create a firewall rule to allow NAV 2009.

There is also a Sunbelt user to user forum located here which may help.

Let us know.

Kudos0

I deactivated the windows firewall before installing sunbelt.

All existing rules are listed in one window and all existing Symantec/Norton entries were completely allowed.
If there are no rules for an application trying o access the internet, it asks to allow or block that connection.
However, I already tried to deactivated the sunbelt firewall, what means that it no longer blocks anything, but the Live Updates and the One-Click-Support kept failing.

I think the problem is the driver sunbelt and kerio is using to control the network access.

I searched the sunbelt support forum (for "norton") but I couldn't find any informations about this problem.
Kudos1 Stats

There is a known issue with the way Kerio / Sunbelt handles certain Protocols.  This has been from the days of Sunbelt first taking Kerio.  You might want to try Comdo v2 (firewall only) or Online Armor (free version) .  I think you will like either of them; they both have very well written drivers as well as excellent User support Forums.  OA is lighter on your system if that is a concern to you.  Let us know how this goes for you.
Kudos0

Oh, I although had the problem while using the last real Kerio version (4.2.2, before sunbelt took the KPF). 

The same with 4.1.2.

With 2.1.5 Live Update works, but it's very old!

Kudos0

Yeah, everybody said 2.1.5 was so great; everything worked because everything got through both in and out; even what you didn't want!
Kudos0

Hi, 

I contacted the Sunbelt Support and they told me that the need to know which privilegs Norton needs for the broken features (LU and the 1-Click-Support). 

Privilegs means: 

- Network access (which application, which protocol, which port, which destination adress)

- Application starting (which application is starting which other application during the process, which applications take part at the procedures)

I hope, someone can give me these informations 

greetings, Rhino

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.