• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos4 Stats

NAV 2009 blocks access to hard disk

Just upgraded from Systemworks 2004 to Systemworks 2009, which includes NAV 2009. Now other computers on our lan have trouble accessing files on this hard disk. Things work fine for awhile, then in some random time period later (up to an hour or so) the other workstations start getting Windows delayed write errors, errors opening files (they are opened read-only because it appears that something has the file open for writing already), and eventually no access at all (trying to even look at folders on the shared disk in Windows Explorer times out, but it takes 10 minutes to do so...) This problem started happening right after I installed Systemworks 2009.

Computer A: Win XP SP2, upgraded from Systemworks 2004 to Systemworks 2009. Has second hard disk that is shared.

Computer B: Win XP SP2, Systemworks 2004.

Computer C: Win 98, some other vendor's anti-virus.

Computer A seems to work just fine by itself. Computers B & C work OK for awhile, but then start having problems accessing Computer A's shared disk. The only way to fix it appears to be rebooting all 3 computers.

I have tried turning off everything in NAV 2009 (intrusion detection, antispyware, SONAR, everything in Internet Settings, and now finally Anti-Virus itself -- haven't seen if that last one makes the problem disappear, but obviously I now have no anti-virus protection).

There have been no warnings from NAV 2009, and the History doesn't have anything of interest (although it did complain a lot about Viewmgr.exe when I had intrusion detection turned on).

Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, could it be something in Systemworks?

Paul Hartman

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV 2009 blocks access to hard disk

Just upgraded from Systemworks 2004 to Systemworks 2009, which includes NAV 2009. Now other computers on our lan have trouble accessing files on this hard disk. Things work fine for awhile, then in some random time period later (up to an hour or so) the other workstations start getting Windows delayed write errors, errors opening files (they are opened read-only because it appears that something has the file open for writing already), and eventually no access at all (trying to even look at folders on the shared disk in Windows Explorer times out, but it takes 10 minutes to do so...) This problem started happening right after I installed Systemworks 2009.

Computer A: Win XP SP2, upgraded from Systemworks 2004 to Systemworks 2009. Has second hard disk that is shared.

Computer B: Win XP SP2, Systemworks 2004.

Computer C: Win 98, some other vendor's anti-virus.

Computer A seems to work just fine by itself. Computers B & C work OK for awhile, but then start having problems accessing Computer A's shared disk. The only way to fix it appears to be rebooting all 3 computers.

I have tried turning off everything in NAV 2009 (intrusion detection, antispyware, SONAR, everything in Internet Settings, and now finally Anti-Virus itself -- haven't seen if that last one makes the problem disappear, but obviously I now have no anti-virus protection).

There have been no warnings from NAV 2009, and the History doesn't have anything of interest (although it did complain a lot about Viewmgr.exe when I had intrusion detection turned on).

Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, could it be something in Systemworks?

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

Dirtylinen,

I had virtually the same problem.  My problem was with a file server on a peer to peer network.  I upgraded the Norton AV from 2008 to 2009 on Thursday.  Beginning Friday, I started receiving random errors in our DOS accounting software.  The software would typically lock up during updates.   I would receive Delayed Write Errors on the server.  I spent the next 5 days replacing & testing network cards, hubs, wiring, a hard disk drive, and because I had an identical computer laying around, I even swapped it out.  Nothing worked.  With each change in hardware, the system would work for about an hour - then start locking up applications.  The only way to clear the file lock was to reboot the computer.

I finally uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2009 - and I have not had a problem since.  I am now using my original hubs, wiring, hardware, etc. - everything but Norton Antivirus 2009. 

I have submitted a request for assistance with the Norton Technical support department (about 2 days ago), but have not received an answer

My server is running Win XP - SP3.

I have also updated my work station with NAV2009 - but have not experienced any problems

I am holding off upgrading the remaining work stations in the office.

Kudos0

Followup: I turned off Auto Protect and the disk access problems disappeared. So I turned it back on, but all the sub-options are off (early load, removable media, and caching). And the problems have not returned. I'm going to turn on the options one at a time and see what happens. I think I'll start with Caching.

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

One last followup: I spoke too soon, it is AutoProtect that is the culprit. If it's on, then the disk access problems appear. Other settings don't seem to have an effect.
Paul Hartman
Kudos0

You will want to disable Automatic Windows File Sharing control.
=\
Kudos0

OK, where do I find that setting in NAV 2009?

Or do you mean un-share the disk in Windows? Can't do that, the disk has files that other workstations need to work on.

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

I have sent you additional instructions via the community Private Messenger system, please look for the in the upper right hand corner of any community page. Thanks!
Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Tony,

As you can see from my earlier post, I also am having a hard disk access problem with Norton AV 2009.  I have an open incident (#081013-000989) with Norton Technical support, but have not received a reply.

In a nutshell, I have a file server running Windows XP - peer to peer network.  I upgraded the antivirus software to Norton 2009 on Thursday October 9.  Starting on Friday Oct 10, I began have some problems with "Delayed Write Failures". This machine has our accounting software on it - a DOS application.  We began experiencing lockups in the software, usually during a "posting" operation.  Once the application locked up, it was impossible to gain access that specific data file - until the server rebooted.  It appeared to be a "bad block" or file sharing problem.  The problem would show up after about 45-60 minutes of use.

I originally suspected a defective hard disk drive - replaced it - did not resolve the problem.
I changed out the network card - no change
I changed out the network switch - no change
I changed out the entire computer system - no change
After about 5 days of trying virtually everything in could think of (including disabling Norton antivirus) I was unable to correct the problem.

In desperation, I finally Un-Installed the Norton Antivirus 2009 package on Friday Oct 17th.  The problem has not shown up since.  We have now run about 10 days with out a problem (and without antivirus software). 

The other problem is that the upgrade to NAV2009 removes NAV2008.  Since I have now removed NAV2009, I have temporarily solved the problem with my computer - but I do not have the NAV2008 to reinstall (it was an automatic upgrade from a prior release)

Do you have any suggestions?!?

Thanks

Kudos0

Hello Jeopardy,

You can install NAV 2008 from this location (for right now) - http://www.symantec.com/newnav/

Did you try disabling random features in NAV 2009 to see if it was a particular component that caused this?

Kudos0

Tim,

One of the first things that I did when I had this problem was to disable Norton Antivirus - for about an hour or so (using "Disable Antivirus Auto-Protect".  But, even with it "disabled", I still had problems.  So, I ruled out NAV2009 as the problem and assumed it was a hardware issue.  I tested a slew of hardware solutions - and over the next week, ruled them all out.

In desperation, I un-installed NAV2009 - and have not had a problem since.  The system has been working flawlessly for about 2 weeks now.

I just reinstalled NAV2008 and assume that I will not have any problems.

Kudos0

Hello dirtylinen/Jeopardy,

We have a couple questions regarding this issue:

1) Could you provide us with Step-by-Step instructions on how to reproduce this issue?

2) Is there anything else on your computers that might be causing the connection to be blocked? Firewalls?

3) What format is the shared disk? NTFS, FAT?

4) Does running a chkdsk on your main computer help?

5) If you try disabling each NAV feature one-by-one, does this ever resolve the issue?

Message Edited by Tim_Lopez on 10-29-2008 05:51 PMMessage Edited by Tim_Lopez on 10-29-2008 05:54 PM
Kudos0

Tim_Lopez wrote:

Hello dirtylinen/Jeopardy,

We have a couple questions regarding this issue:

1) Could you provide us with Step-by-Step instructions on how to reproduce this issue?

2) Is there anything else on your computers that might be causing the connection to be blocked? Firewalls?

5) If you try disabling each NAV feature one-by-one, does this ever resolve the issue?

Message Edited by Tim_Lopez on 10-29-2008 05:51 PMMessage Edited by Tim_Lopez on 10-29-2008 05:54 PM

1. Computer A was upgraded from Systemworks 2004 to Systemworks 2009. 2009 was running with default settings for NAV. There is a shared hard disk, Y:. Computer B accesses documents & files on Y: using programs like Word Perfect, MS Word, Firefox (the cache and user profiles and bookmarks are on Y:), Eudora (INI files and mailboxes and attachments folders are on Y:), Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc. After anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours, the Y: disk becomes inaccessible to Computer B. Sometimes we get Windows delayed write failed, sometimes Eudora or WP will be unable to access any files on Y:, they just hang. Task manager shows them as not responding. If I let it sit for 10 minutes they will either simply exit with no error message or get the delayed write error. Doing an end task with task manager takes many minutes to actually end them. WP will sometimes open a file from Y: as read-only, I guess because it thinks the file is already open for writing. After the problem happens, Windows Explorer is unable to see any folders on Y: (hangs with hourglass forever). Turning off Autoprotect does not fix the problem at this point, we have to reboot Computer A. (Rebooting Computer B without rebooting A does not help.)

2. Using Windows firewall. Did not change any settings between NAV 2004 and NAV 2009 -- everything worked with NAV 2004, the only change is uninstalling 2004 and installing 2009. If I run 2009 with AutoProtect OFF, Computer B has no problems. I tried fiddling with other settings (caching, removable media scan, SONAR, etc.) but AutoProtect is the one that will cause problems if it is ON.

3. Shared disk Y: is NTFS. It's a SCSI disk using Adaptec host adapter. (A second hard disk and scanner are also on the SCSI bus.)

4. chkdsk on C: finds problems (I did not run with /F so it didn't fix them):

Deleting index entry NO918D~1.ZIP in index $I130 of file 14100.

Deleting index entry norton$202009$20streaming$20virus$20definitions_1.0symalllanguages_livetri.zip in index $I130 of file 14100.

5. Yes. It's AutoProtect. I have the rest of the settings as defaults. I tried turning off the sub-settings of AutoProtect and those don't have an effect.

We have a Computer C that exhibits the same symptoms as Computer B.

-paul

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

Tim,

THIS IS MY 3RD ATTEMPT TO POST A RESPONSE TO THIS SITE.  EVERYTIME I SUBMIT THE POST, YOUR SITE DELETES MY MESSAGE WITH AN AUTHENTICATION ISSUE.  THIS IS $%*&^^$**$$* FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST.

SO IN 20 WORDS OR LESS:

1) Install NAV2009 - have problems on server

2) No.  Windows firewall only

3) NTFS

4) Did not run when I had the problem, but only found some unallocated disk space

5) Disabled all of NAV - no change.  Unistalled NAV - fixed problem

Kudos0

Authentication issues can only occur if you spend an excessive amount of time writing the message, enough that you get signed out from Norton.  I've spent a very long time with no problem.  But if you do need all that time, why don't you take your time and write your message in notepad the way you want it, then cut & paste it here, using the clipboard symbol (4th icon from the left in the "reply to message section" )?  Seems simple enough.  Might even save your *&^^$**$$* vocabulary, too.Message Edited by mijcar on 10-30-2008 09:50 AM
mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

mijcar,

per your notepad suggestion, here is a more lengthly posting...

Not much of a step-by-step ... installed NAV2009 on Thursday evening.  On Friday morning began having problems with some of our data files locking up.  NAV2009 was installed with all of the default settings.  Spent a week trying to diagnose a suspected hardware problem and ended up resolving it by removing NAV2009.

No firewalls other than the standard Windows firewall.  Computer has a 3.0 Ghz Pentium D processor, 1GB of memory, and an external USB hard disk drive (for backup).  I tried a different Network Card, 2 different network switches, different cables, different hard disk drive, different processor, all with the same result.  There was no change with the USB drive installed - or not installed. In other words, I ruled out defective hardware as the cause of this problem - though it is still possible that there is a conflict between NAV2009 and my hardware.

The system is primarily used to run a DOS based accounting system (Great Plains).  The system also has a windows program (Fabsoft Reform) that intercepts the printer output to format it for a laser printer.  The only other application of note is UPS's package shipping program. The accounting software resides in a shared folder that is accessed by 4 work stations (XP, XP, XP, & Vista).  The problem usually crops up during a posting operation.  When the error occurs, the server displays a Delayed Write Error.  I can find no errors in the event logs.  Although the problem typically occured when a work station accessed the files, it would also happen if the server accessed the files.  In this case, the server was also accessing the files through a mapped drive.

The shared disk is NTFS.

Did not run chkdsk when I was having this problem, but I just ran it and did not see any issues with Files, Indexes, or File descriptors.  Did find some unallocated disk space.  I did however copy all the files to a different hard disk drive (using XXCLONE) and had problems on that drive as well.

Did not try disabling individual features.  Did disable all of NAV2009 using the "Disable Antivirus Autoprotect" option - but it had no effect on the problem.

Kudos0

jeopardy wrote:

THIS IS MY 3RD ATTEMPT TO POST A RESPONSE TO THIS SITE.  EVERYTIME I SUBMIT THE POST, YOUR SITE DELETES MY MESSAGE WITH AN AUTHENTICATION ISSUE.  THIS IS $%*&^^$**$$* FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST.

mijcar wrote:
Authentication issues can only occur if you spend an excessive amount of time writing the message, enough that you get signed out from Norton.  I've spent a very long time with no problem.  But if you do need all that time, why don't you take your time and write your message in notepad the way you want it, then cut & paste it here, using the clipboard symbol (4th icon from the left in the "reply to message section" )?  Seems simple enough.  Might even save your *&^^$**$$* vocabulary, too.

Hi jeopardy,

Most likely mijcar is correct on the reason for the authentication error, too much time.  Sessions expire after 30 minutes of inactivity. There is a list that appears on the screen of 5 things that could have gone wrong, but the list is wordy and can be hard to understand.    The two most common reasons for you to get an authentication error when posting are: too much elapsed time editing or your IP address changed.   The second most likely would only occur when using certain mobile devices with personal data plans.

To add a couple more tips: 

• On windows based systems:  Before pressing the post button you can click anywhere in your post and press ctrl-a (which selects all) followed by ctrl-c (copy) to put your entire post on your computers clipboard.   If you need to recover it after an error, get to a new message entry window and press ctrl-v (to paste the clipboard).  If you use copy and paste for anything else, be careful not to copy something else to your clipboard before you paste back.

• If you have been composing and editing your post for a long time, you can also open another window or tab before posting to make sure that you are still logged into the forum. 

• Finally the box on the login screen "Remember my login on this computer" may help as well, but this is also dependent on what browser you are using, browser settings, and what 3rd party apps you are using to help manage cookies.

Sorry you had authentification problems, and I hope these suggestions help you.

[edit: fixed typos.]

Message Edited by Allen_K on 10-30-2008 01:43 PM
Kudos0

Jeopardy, I am not going to try pass myself off as an expect on this issue.  So if I say something you've tried or which turns out to be irrelevant, I apologize in advance.

This is from years ago.  I once had a problem at work when we were sharing a printer.  The problem was basically a time-out problem: too much time elapsing between when the information was sent out to the printer and when the printer got it.  What I remember doing to solve the issue was (I believe) going into the printer properties and changing the length of time to wait.  I think we did something like set it at zero which was supposed to translate (ironically) as infinity - that is, wait forever if need be.  Perhaps something like this might be a resolution.

It does occur to me that the old malware checking strategy was to examine virtually every byte opened, copied or (applicable in this case) sent anywhere.  Perhaps the data is still being analyzed and the analysis causes a slowdown and the slowdown cause a timeout error?  Or I might not know anything.  Wish I could be more definite about his old problem.  If I recall more of the solution, I will let you know because what I remember of the observed behavior certain seems to match a lot of what you describe.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

I came across they in a Google search. I have 2 separate clients with peer to peer that upgraded forn 2008 and the other from 2007 Antivirus to 2009 Antivirus. A few days later the other computers in the office had problems accessing the computer that acts like  a server. Disable Norton Service and all is well. Installed a temporary virus protestion to keep the office going until I find a fix. The one office the workstations were getting access denied to shared folder and you get a message that you exceeded the limit of number users having access to the computer acting as server (Windows Home) - only has 2 workstations accessing it.

Kudos0

I'm having the same issue on my peer-to-peer network.

We have 7 computerfs that people work at, and another computer that no one works at, which hosts our MYOB company file and all of our MS Office documents.

When we upgraded the file-serving computer to NAV 2009 we started getting network errors in MYOB and file access issues in our word docs.  Every now and then the mapped network drives would not be available for 30 seconds, then would work again.  But we had to restart the file-server to access files again.

When I uninstalled NAV2009 from the file-server, all the problems went away.

I have since reinstalled NAV2008 on the file server and everything works fine.

(The other computers still have 2009)

Kudos0

You have already started a thread on your situation -- please check on that for replies.
Hugh
Kudos0

I was posting on this thread also to let the original poster know that others are having the same issue. 

Kudos0

Right -- but the problem is that answers to your problem get fragmented and duplicated so it's better I believe to do one or the other but not both!

Anyway hang on in both places and see what develops -- I see that several Symanaec Staffers -- names in red -- were active in this one and now the holiday weekend is over hopefully some of them will be able to pick up the ball again.

Hugh
Kudos0

servsol wrote:

I was posting on this thread also to let the original poster know that others are having the same issue. 

Thank you. I might not have found your thread if you hadn't...

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

I am having the exact same problem.  Installed NIS 2009 (free upgrade from NIS2008) in an office with 8 desktops and 1 file sharing "server".  All systems running Win XP SP3 fully patched and updated.  This install took place Saturday Dec 13th, on Monday the 15th when the office was open, started having problems accessing shared files from the file server.  Looked at the System event log and have many Warning events ID 2022 from the Srv (Server) Source.

Event ID: 2022
Source: Srv
Description: Server was unable to find a free connection 6 times in the last 60 seconds.

I tried the suggestions from Microsoft at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317249, cannot make the registry changes for MaxFreeConnections and MinFreeConnections as they seem to only apply to actual Windows Server 2000 or 2003.  I have made the performance changes to make CPU and memory prioritize background processes and I disabled Idle Scanning in NIS 2009.

Will find out today if any of this makes any difference, but based on what is being said here it looks like another site visit tonight to downgrade the server back to NIS 2008.

Message Edited by rkhands on 12-16-2008 08:55 AM
Kudos0

Downgrade is the only thing that worked for me.  The Symantec group has completely ignored this issue.
Kudos0

I downgraded the file server (a Win XP Pro box) and the issues with accessing its shared files and printers has disappeared.  Now another Win XP Pro box in the same workgroup is having the exact same problems with other computers accessing its shared files.  Looks like I am going to have to revert to 2008 on all the machines at this site.

Symantec?????  Looks like your testing procedures need to be revisited.

Kudos0

I'm experiencing the same issue that everyone else is experiencing.  Upgraded from NAV 2007 to NAV 2009 in the last 2 days, but ever since then none of my workstations is able to connect to the computer we use as a file/application server.  All of the 9 computers (8 clients, 1 "server") have the following specs:

NAV 2009 16.1.0.33 on all computers (upgraded from NAV 2007)

AutoProtect enabled (what is the point of NAV if you have to disable this?)

All Intrusion Prevention Settings are enabled (but computers never show up on blocked list, so I don't think this is the problem)

All computers are "found" and visible on NAV's Home Network (LAN)

Windows XP Pro SP2 on all computers (all latest patches installed)

Windows Firewall enabled

Certain folders are shared on the network 

No trouble with NAV 2007

Do you think adding each computer again to "NAV's Home Network (Trust Control)" will solve this problem?  (I'm skeptical since all the computers are found in NAV's Home Network (LAN) to begin with.)

Does NAV 2009 have a "white list" where we can add IP/MAC addresses of computers we DON'T want NAV 2009 to block?  (I remember seeing a setting somewhere asking if you wanted to allow Network LAN computers to be excluded from blocking, but I forgot where I saw that...)

Every 1-2 hours we need to reset the "server" because it starts to block traffic from all the computers in our network.  Obviously this is NOT an acceptable "solution", so Symantec better solve this problem soon... because I'm getting really annoyed with this problem and tired of restarting the "server" so many times a day! 

Message Edited by mavevyo on 12-18-2008 01:23 PM
Kudos0

Mavevyo,

You are more than welcome to try anything that comes to mind.  Maybe you will find the answer to this problem.  I worked on the problem for over a week – even completely disabling NAV2009 – but no matter what I tried, the server would lock up every hour or so.

The only solution that worked for me (and I think the rest of the users on this site) was to downgrade the server from NAV2009 back to NAV2008.

Just an FYI … my “server” is an XP Pro box now running NAV2008.  My “clients” run XP Pro, Vista, and a Mac. Most of my clients are running NAV2008, but I do have two running NAV2009.  I have not had an issue crop up since I downgraded the server.  So, whatever the problem is, it must be with NAV2009 on the server.

Kudos0

Same for me - all of the staff desktops are still using NAV 2009, only the 'file serving' PC was downgraded and it's working fine now.

Kudos0

Well this is not reassuring... hopefully Symantec will release an update to NAV 2009 that will fix this problem (or at least tell us how to "white list" computers that we don't want blocked... or another acceptable workaround to this problem).  Has anyone heard back from Symantec on a potential fix or acceptable workaround? 

(Restarting the computer every hour or turning off Auto-Protect or uninstalling NAV 2009 are NOT acceptable workarounds from Symantec... YOU HEAR THIS SYMANTEC?!?!?!) 

Message Edited by mavevyo on 12-18-2008 01:28 PM
Kudos0

I've posted a message about this situation that they should see.

Just a thought from someone not experienced with networking but I wonder if the Symantec Enterprise versions are not more suited to use on Servers rather than the NIS/NAV 2009 series which are, although I've seen them described as Home & Small Office, more for home users?

There must be a reason why they have the Enterprise series?

Hugh
Kudos0

Perhaps they are described as "Home & Home Office", but there are many "homes" and "home offices" that use networked computers.  Symantec should know this, and at the very least it would be "unethical" if not worse to "break" or disable a current Windows XP feature that many customers utilize just so Symantec can force customers who use networking to upgrade to the more expensive NAV Enterprise Edition.  That's just a legal challenge waiting to happen...  Message Edited by mavevyo on 12-18-2008 01:44 PM
Kudos0

<< Symantec should know this, and at the very least it would be "unethical" if not worse to "break" or disable a current Windows XP feature that many customers utilize just so Symantec can force customers who use networking to upgrade to the more expensive NAV Enterprise Edition.  >>

You are jumping to a conclusion there!

My question was a question, not a statement of fact and it was directed to what may be technical differences between different software applications with a view to perhaps pinpointing what may be going wrong.

If you think about it the last thing any manufacturer wants is to have his product not work for a group of his customers.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I understand your post brought up the question of why is there an enterprise version of the product, and that there could be some correlation between this specific problem and differences in the product line.

My response was that IF that were true, then that would be a very unwise move on Symantec's part.

Thanks for your response though!

Kudos0

mavevyo wrote:

Well this is not reassuring... hopefully Symantec will release an update to NAV 2009 that will fix this problem (or at least tell us how to "white list" computers that we don't want blocked... or another acceptable workaround to this problem).  Has anyone heard back from Symantec on a potential fix or acceptable workaround? 

(Restarting the computer every hour or turning off Auto-Protect or uninstalling NAV 2009 are NOT acceptable workarounds from Symantec... YOU HEAR THIS SYMANTEC?!?!?!) 

Message Edited by mavevyo on 12-18-2008 01:28 PM

I don't believe the problem is related to intrusion detection. I have played with all the settings, and the only workaround I have found is turning off AutoProtect (which also turns off SONAR, I can't enable that without also turning on AutoProtect).

Protection is not totally disabled: Email scan immediately picked up the couple viruses that sneaked through our email server, and Idle Time scan is still enabled and finding tracking cookies.

Symantec's attention to this issue would be appreciated, especially since more and more people are reporting the same problem.

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

Yes, I agree.  Intrusion Detection doesn't seem like the problem.  Right now I am "experimenting" with leaving Auto-Protect ON, and turning Sonar OFF (unfortunately I can't keep Sonar ON with Auto-Protect OFF, so I'm trying it this way first before I disable both of them).

I will report back tomorrow if this solves my problem(s).  So far everything seems to work fine, and actually access to the "server" seems quicker (less lag)... cross your fingers! 

Kudos0

Okay, so disabling Sonar didn't solve my problem.  I'm still losing network connectivity every 1-2 hours (although now instead of giving me an outright error message, the application/folder hangs for a few minutes, then goes into "not responding" mode, then if you try and close the application or networked folder you'll receive an error message.  Going to try disabling Auto-Protect to see if that can be used as a temporary workaround until this issue is FIXED BY SYMANTEC!!! 

Maybe if I have more time later, I'll try messing around with some other settings...

Kudos0

For the record,

This is not only a NAV 2009 problem,

it's also the same with NIS 2009.

What a bummer, never thought they could release a copy that would disrupt a peer to peer network.

What were they thinking of.

Romi

Kudos0

Same problem as many others who have posted. The only solution was to uninstall NIS 2009.
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

I've posted a message about this situation that they should see.

Just a thought from someone not experienced with networking but I wonder if the Symantec Enterprise versions are not more suited to use on Servers rather than the NIS/NAV 2009 series which are, although I've seen them described as Home & Small Office, more for home users?

There must be a reason why they have the Enterprise series?

Endpoint Protection is aimed at companies running Windows 2003/2008 servers with admins managing 50+ workstations. Enterprise is for companies who need granular application & device control. Buying Endpoint for a 10 user company that runs an XP computer with shared folders is completely overkill.

Kudos0

I'm sure you are right about overkill -- the point of my question was to raise whether there was something in the modus operandi of Enterprise versions that was not in NIS 2009?
Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:
I'm sure you are right about overkill -- the point of my question was to raise whether there was something in the modus operandi of Enterprise versions that was not in NIS 2009?

Hello huwyngr,

Good question, also, the thing is, if they know (and they must) of the peer to peer network problem(s), why don't they flatly say so.

It's not the end of the world and people not in the know will stop blowing countless hours trying hardware/software changes thinking the problem is of their own making or a piece of hardware blew.  I know that you know how hard debugging a computer is, debugging a bunch of them doing p2p is not easy.

Num is the word, that's what we don't like.

Romi

Kudos0

If you want an honest answer I don't know why Symantec have not jumped in here with some comment.

It is clearly true that they have had some major problems with the servers being down and so on but ...

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

A ten minute install, a convoluted UI & a resource hog?

Kudos0

mavevyo wrote:

Okay, so disabling Sonar didn't solve my problem.  I'm still losing network connectivity every 1-2 hours (although now instead of giving me an outright error message, the application/folder hangs for a few minutes, then goes into "not responding" mode, then if you try and close the application or networked folder you'll receive an error message.  Going to try disabling Auto-Protect to see if that can be used as a temporary workaround until this issue is FIXED BY SYMANTEC!!! 

Maybe if I have more time later, I'll try messing around with some other settings...

Hi mavevyo,

After looking over the whole thread a few times, I noticed that you are running Norton AntiVirus 16.1. Could you try running LiveUpdate manually to update your system to 16.2? Thanks!

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

My system was running 16.2 when I downgraded, so that isn't a fix.
Kudos0

Same here.  I upgraded from NAV2008 to NAV2009

since that day I have

Event ID: 2022
Source: Srv
Description: Server was unable to find a free connection 6 times in the last 60 seconds.

multiple times a day on a shared workstation, and need to restart this workstation.
I called symantec, so now they know about this thread I hope they do something about it too.

Kudos0

The only solution that works 100% of the time is to downgrade back to 2008.
Kudos0

Mr. Weiss, thank you for replying.  NAV 2009 16.2 does this just as 16.1 had.

The other posters in this thread were correct in that something in Auto Protect interferes with Windows XP file/drive/application sharing/access.  I tried every possible configuration of NAV settings, and found that ONLY when I disabled Auto-Protect did file/drive/application sharing/access perform reliably for an indefinite period of time (enabling Auto-Protect quickly kills the connection within 1-2 hours). 

HOWEVER, I did discover a small "workaround" where if you go into your NAV 2009 settings: Computer > Exclusions/Low Risks > Scan Exclusions > Configure[+] and put your shared drives/folders that you need network access to in NAV's "Auto-Protect Exclusions" List (no need to put it under "Scan Exclusions" List), then you can still have Auto-Protect enabled for the rest of your computer... it just will ignore what goes on in the shared drives/folders you excluded AND WON'T BLOCK ACCESS TO THEM EVERY 1-2 HOURS!!! 

This still doesn't "solve" the problem though... but it's better than disabling Auto-Protect entirely... 

Kudos0

This issue has been fixed and we will update you when the fix is being released.

Thanks for your patience.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.