• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

NAV 2009 network freezes

My office has 7 workstations and 1 file-serving computer.  All computers use Windows XP Pro.

The file-serving computer hosts our company files and the MYOB company file that is our CRM/Accounting database. 

We recently upgraded from NAV 2008 to NAV 2009 on all of the workstations without problems.

But when we upgraded the file-serving coputer to NAV 2009 we started having all kinds of network issues.

1)  MYOB would frequently freeze up.  The error code would refer to a network error.

2)  Office documents would freeze up when we tried to save.  The error codes said 'file permission' issue or 'network error'.

I did all kinds of tests and troubleshooting steps.  I even rebuilt the entire OS on the fileserver, but the problem still occured.

Network logging seemed to show a correlation between NAV virus definition updates and the freezes.  So I first turned off "Pulse Updates".  Still occuring.  I then turned off the automatic Live Updates.  Still occuring.

After all that, I tried uninstalling NAV 2009.  No problems anymore!

I installed NAV 2008 again and so far everything is working fine. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV 2009 network freezes

My office has 7 workstations and 1 file-serving computer.  All computers use Windows XP Pro.

The file-serving computer hosts our company files and the MYOB company file that is our CRM/Accounting database. 

We recently upgraded from NAV 2008 to NAV 2009 on all of the workstations without problems.

But when we upgraded the file-serving coputer to NAV 2009 we started having all kinds of network issues.

1)  MYOB would frequently freeze up.  The error code would refer to a network error.

2)  Office documents would freeze up when we tried to save.  The error codes said 'file permission' issue or 'network error'.

I did all kinds of tests and troubleshooting steps.  I even rebuilt the entire OS on the fileserver, but the problem still occured.

Network logging seemed to show a correlation between NAV virus definition updates and the freezes.  So I first turned off "Pulse Updates".  Still occuring.  I then turned off the automatic Live Updates.  Still occuring.

After all that, I tried uninstalling NAV 2009.  No problems anymore!

I installed NAV 2008 again and so far everything is working fine. 

Kudos0

I've seen a few other messages where people have had the same experience but I don't remember an explanation/solution.

Let's see what those who know about Servers have to say.

Is there anything specifically "Server" about the "file-serving computer"? Or is it a standard XP installation just used for the purpose?

Hugh
Kudos0

No it's not a 'Server" as in Win2003 server.  Just XP Pro.

It's a P4 2.8 Ghz tower with XP Pro.  We have a shared folder which all of the other computers have mapped as a network drive.  This folder contains the MYOB comapny file and the MS Office documents that we use.

Forgot to mention that the network drive would suddenly be dropped at every computer, and we could not access them again for about 30-60 seconds.  I originally troubleshooted for a memory or hard drive issue but, as I said, the problem was ultimately resolved by downgrading the 'file-serving' system to NAV 2008.

Kudos0

<< the problem was ultimately resolved by downgrading the 'file-serving' system to NAV 2008. >>

Ah -- that was not clear to me previously. I thought you had reverted all stations and the server to NIS2008.

There may well be something in NIS2009 & servers that was not encountered during development. Let's see what develops.

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

<< the problem was ultimately resolved by downgrading the 'file-serving' system to NAV 2008. >>

Ah -- that was not clear to me previously. I thought you had reverted all stations and the server to NIS2008.

There may well be something in NIS2009 & servers that was not encountered during development. Let's see what develops.

This thread is exactly the same problem as I reported on Oct 21st. The only suggestion I have had so far was to try the recent 16.1.0.33 bugfix release. LiveUpdate updated me so I tried turning on AutoProtect again and the problem is still there. I am running with NAV 2009, but with AutoProtect & SONAR turned off. All other functions of NAV have not caused problems.

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

Yes -- I knew that and included both in my nudge.
Hugh
Kudos0

I posted on this 3 days ago without response from anyone at Symantec.  I've seen that peer-to-peer network filesharing is an issue that others have posted on also, and they too have not gotten responses from Symantec.

Not to be a squeaky wheel, but ... squeak?

Kudos0

4 days.

SQueek?

Kudos0

It has now been 15 days without any action from Symantec.  The others experiencing this issue have also been without responses.  Downgrade is the only thing that works.  The Symantec group has completely ignored this issue.
Kudos0

Hello servsol,

Sorry for the late response. Have you tried contacting Technical Support? Do you have any incident numbers? Were they able to assist you?

Kudos0

Sorry, I meant to get back to you yesterday on this and forgot. Tim's post just reminded me. We've identified a problem that could cause this problem on Vista machines. If you are running Vista and would like to try out the fix before its final release, please let me know.
Reese AnschultzSenior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

reese_anschultz wrote:
Sorry, I meant to get back to you yesterday on this and forgot. Tim's post just reminded me. We've identified a problem that could cause this problem on Vista machines. If you are running Vista and would like to try out the fix before its final release, please let me know.

How about XP? I reported this problem on October 21st and so far... no fix!

Paul Hartman
Kudos0

All of the machines in our office are Windows XP.

The issue only occurs if the 'file-serving" XP machine has NAV 2009 installed.  I 'fixed' the network by removing NAV 2009 and reinstalling NAV 2008.

I figured out the problem by uninstalling 2009 and am not willing to break my network again in order to troubleshoot the 2009 issue.

As others have reported this same issue, you should be able to duplicate such problems easily in your test labs.

Kudos0

I'm experiencing the same issue that everyone else is experiencing.  Upgraded from NAV 2007 to NAV 2009 in the last 2 days, but ever since then none of my workstations is able to connect to the computer we use as a file/application server.  All of the 9 computers (8 clients, 1 "server") have the following specs:

NAV 2009 16.1.0.33 on all computers (upgraded from NAV 2007)

AutoProtect enabled (what is the point of NAV if you have to disable this?)

All Intrusion Prevention Settings are enabled (but computers never show up on blocked list, so I don't think this is the problem)

All computers are "found" and visible on NAV's Home Network (LAN)

Windows XP Pro SP2 on all computers (all latest patches installed)

Windows Firewall enabled

Certain folders are shared on the network 

No trouble with NAV 2007

Do you think adding each computer again to "NAV's Home Network (Trust Control)" will solve this problem?  (I'm skeptical since all the computers are found in NAV's Home Network (LAN) to begin with.)

Does NAV 2009 have a "white list" where we can add IP/MAC addresses of computers we DON'T want NAV 2009 to block?  (I remember seeing a setting somewhere asking if you wanted to allow Network LAN computers to be excluded from blocking, but I forgot where I saw that...)

Every 1-2 hours we need to reset the "server" because it starts to block traffic from all the computers in our network.  Obviously this is NOT an acceptable "solution", so Symantec better solve this problem soon... because I'm getting really annoyed with this problem and tired of restarting the "server" so many times a day! 

Message Edited by mavevyo on 12-18-2008 01:22 PM
Kudos0

cueing them up front and center for action

Romi

Kudos0

I'm having the same exact issues.  Four computers, two Dell Dimension desktops, two Dell D-series Latitude laptops, all running Windows XP Pro, SP3.  All worked fine using Norton Antivirus 2008, until "upgrading" the "server" (i.e., the one with the shared drive containing all our business files) to Norton Antivirus 2009.

The server could access all the others, but none could access the server; even though they could all "see" it on the network, access was denied.  I figured maybe an incompatibility between 2008 and 2009, so put 2009 on the rest, but a few hours later, got universally shut out, none of the computers could access any of the others.  I tried running the network wizard again, created a new netsetup.exe which I ran on all the other machines.

Everything works fine immediately after rebooting the computers, but anywhere from a half hour to a couple days later, access is again denied.

This was reported to tech support on 12/25/08, case number [removed]. 

The tech rep had me remove and reinstall 2009 on two of the machines, turn off SONAR, add IP addresses for the other computers to the trusted list on the server and all seemed OK for the moment.  He tried repeatedly to get me to acknowledge that the problem was fixed, and I repeatedly told him that it always workd fine right after rebooting, so how do I know?  I asked him to keep the case open for a few days.

I was hopefully optimistic, but on 12/27/08, once again, none of the computers could access any of the others.

I'm going to contact tech support again, and if there's no fix for 2009, go back to 2008.  Problem is, what do I do in a couple months when my subscription to 2008 runs out?  Go back to rebooting several times a day, or wait for 2010?

[edit: removed case number per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service. Information is available to Moderators.]

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 12-30-2008 08:50 AM
Kudos0

You can renew your licenses online but keep using NAV 2008.  That's still only a temporary solution though.

Since Symantec is obviously ignoring this issue, the ultimate solution will be to use a competing product.  Start looking now.

(Will that get a response?  Probably not)

Kudos1 Stats

Yes, as noted, the subscription can be renewed under NAV 2008, but it seems kinda dumb to renew 2008 for a year if there's at least one newer version, soon to be two.  I spent five hours in Norton's chat room this morning chatting with four different tech reps and two case supervisors/case managers.  First case manager insisted the problem must be with my network or Windows settings, can't be with Norton.  So, says I, here's what we'll do: we'll remove all NAV 2009 from all my computers, and reinstall NAV 2008.  When nothing bad happens after a week, we'll pick a computer, any computer on my network, install NAV 2009, and I guarantee within two days it will drop off the network.

It was then, but only then, that he admitted there is a problem with NAV 2009, and they're working on a patch.  He then offered to extend my subscription for 30 days, which gets me past my busiest period of the year, and meanwhile, maybe they'll have NAV 2009 fixed.

So, I uninstalled 2009, re-installed 2008 throughout the network, and inter-computer access is normal on every machine.  However, the 30-day extension didn't show up.  I tried to re-enter chat, worked my way up to the second case manager, but then kept getting disconnected; tried to send an e-mail, but the e-mail contact page kept redirecting me to chat.  Finally called on the telephone and actually spoke to a real live person who got the subscription extension recognized in just a few minutes.

Bottom line is, Norton has a problem, they know it, and supposedly they're working on it, but it seems mighty odd that one would have to go through so much harassment to get to this point.  Why didn't the first person I contacted know this?  And why wouldn't the case manager admit it sooner?

Anyhow, thanks to all who posted here, this gave me the confidence to pursue a solution, once I knew I wan't the only one having this issue.  Happy New Year, everybody!

Kudos0

Thanks for your patience and for the detail of your reports.

Did you see this message up the thread a little that confirms there is a problem and they are working on it?

I'm glad you got a bonus!

See you around.

Message Edited by huwyngr on 12-29-2008 06:29 PM
Hugh
Kudos0

Yes, noted the earlier note regarding Vista.  Seems odd that they would acknowledge Vista problems while seeming to know nothing about XP.  They offer solutions that don't fit, I think, just so we'll fiddle with something so we won't have time to bother them any more.  "Here, try this, now go away and leave me alone."  If that's their attitude, why do they even bother having tech support?

Yeah, great bonus, works out to maybe thirty cents an hour for all the time I spent.

Kudos0

HI,

I am experiencing the same thing. My XP pro with 1 GB acts as a file server to 2 other connecting XP pro station. My users would complain to me their network drive would inadvertently disconnect. I only have this problem ever since I've upgraded from NAV 2008 to NAV 2009.

Has Symantec resolve this issue?

Kudos0

Apparently not, but they claim to be working on it.  The only solution I've found so far is to remove NAV 2009 and re-install NAV 2008.  I'm hoping that there's a patch to fix it before my subscription to 2008 runs out.  For more details, see my previous note.  Good luck!
Kudos0

Although this problem still exists, I did discover a small "workaround" so you don't need to completely disable Auto-Protect and SONAR.

If you go into your NAV 2009 settings: Computer > Exclusions/Low Risks > Scan Exclusions > Configure[+] and put your shared drives/folders that you need network access to in NAV's "Auto-Protect Exclusions" List (no need to put it under "Scan Exclusions" List), then you can still have Auto-Protect enabled for the rest of your computer... it just will ignore what goes on in the shared drives/folders you excluded AND WON'T BLOCK ACCESS TO THEM EVERY 1-2 HOURS!!! 

This still doesn't "solve" the problem though... but it's better than disabling Auto-Protect entirely... 

Kudos0

We have identified a problem that is affecting some users such as those on this thread. A fix has been made and is in the pipeline to be released with the next product update. The problem is timing related, so it may not always happen for some users and doesn't appear to happen at all for most users. This appears to be related to changes that were made in Vista SP1 but I've seen reports of this problem from XP users as well. For those users, I'm curious about which service pack they are using.Message Edited by reese_anschultz on 01-08-2009 12:05 PM
Kudos0

XP SP 3 (for me)

Kudos0

Same for me, XP Professional, SP 3, same results on all four computers, each blocking all of the others.  

Does the "next product update" mean NAV 2010?  Or will 2009 be fixed?

Kudos0

Fred wrote:

Does the "next product update" mean NAV 2010?  Or will 2009 be fixed?

Next 2009 update.

Kudos0

Any idea on when the fix is coming out?  My client's network is four XP SP2 systems with one acting as a file server.  He's a tax accountant and the network freezes are about to cause a major problem.
Kudos0

As with all other releases, I can't commit to a date. The release will occur when all of the intended fixes have been made and tested along with testing the deployment of the release as a standalone package as well as over all of the previous releases.

What I do know is that you shouldn't expect for at least a few weeks.

Kudos0

So I guess I'll just keep ignoring all these messages I've beengetting about "upgrading" to 2009, unless I want to have my network shut down again.  Is there any way we can tell when it's safe to try NAV 2009 again? 

I haven't had any problems since retrofitting to NAV 2008, but don't want to start all over again.

Kudos0

As with other updates, I'm pretty sure that there will be notice on this forum when the next product update is released.
Kudos0

I am an independent computer consultant. I manage many networks. I have been using Norton AntiVirus as the only protective software on my networks for years.

This year... When I upgraded my networks to Norton AV 2009... Four of my networks began to freeze and lock up. One of these networks has only Windows Vista on all the computers, one had only Windows XP, and two has a mix of Windows Vista and Windows XP.

The software that has caused these lock ups is Peachtree (one network), ATX Tax Software (two networks), and PCLaw (one network).

As others have said... To resolve the problem of the networks locking... I've replaced 3 hard drives... I've re-installed programs and even Windows on many of these computers... I've replaced one router... I've reconstructed and re-mapped all these Networks. None of these solutions resolved the problem.

So... How have I resolved this problem???

Easy... I've un-installed Norton AntiVirus!
Kudos0

We have the same problem using Norton Internet Security 2009 with the server freezing. We have had this problem on computers using Windows XP Professional SP2 and SP3. We know it is Auto-Protect freezing the server. It would seem that Auto-protect is treating our modification of files as a threat.

You can easily simulate this problem using two computers, server and client. We simulated this problem on Windows XP professional SP2 and SP3.

1. Create a folder called ‘test’ on any available (test use) pc in a network.

2.  Share the above folder with read and write privileges.

3. In the above folder create a text file with the name ‘test1.txt’.

4. Now open the .txt file from any remote PC (client) and insert a continuous string of text into the file. Do not include any spaces. For fastest results we recommend that you paste in blocks of data that exceed the length of one line.

5. Copy the above continuous string of text into your clipboard. Save and exit. 

6. Reopen ‘test1.txt’ and paste the contents of the clipboard into the document. Take care that no spaces are included. The final document should resemble one continuous string of random characters. It is essential that the document consists of several lines. (We suspect that the absence or presence of the CR/LF characters is highly relevant to the problem.)

7. Repeat the above operation RAPIDLY so that the file contents grow until server freezes.

Kudos0

I'm having the exact same problems with Internet Security 2009 locking up two of my client's networks, both all on XP.  The lockups are occuring with Drake Tax Software and Arborsoft lanscaping software.  My clients are starting to lose their patience.  I need an update.  Is the update ready yet, and if not when?!

Kudos0

I have clients on peer to peer networks with this problem with all XP Pro workstations, some on SP2 and some on SP3.  None of my clients experiencing this problem have Vista workstations yet.  Is there a patch for XP in the works?
Kudos0

mavevyo wrote:

Although this problem still exists, I did discover a small "workaround" so you don't need to completely disable Auto-Protect and SONAR.

If you go into your NAV 2009 settings: Computer > Exclusions/Low Risks > Scan Exclusions > Configure[+] and put your shared drives/folders that you need network access to in NAV's "Auto-Protect Exclusions" List (no need to put it under "Scan Exclusions" List), then you can still have Auto-Protect enabled for the rest of your computer... it just will ignore what goes on in the shared drives/folders you excluded AND WON'T BLOCK ACCESS TO THEM EVERY 1-2 HOURS!!! 

This still doesn't "solve" the problem though... but it's better than disabling Auto-Protect entirely... 

I made this change on two of the client networks and it hasn't helped.  Does anyone else have a workaround?  Basically my next step is to uninstall Norton entirely on both of these clients networks and install another companies antivirus solution. 

Kudos0

The only solution I've found to work is reverting to 2008 on the file-serving computer.  The other computers can use 2009, as long as the 'host' computer isn't.

Given the 'definite maybe' that Norton keeps giving us about fixing the problem, it may be time to get another product anyway.  I know I will not be upgrading to 2010 when it comes out.

Kudos0

We had to remove Norton Internet Security 2009 and reinstall 2008. Unfortunatly this is a waste of both our time and our licenses. I certainly hope a update of 2009 is imminent.
Kudos0

It was great to find this discussion.  We just had the same problem.  Went through the tech support and allowed them to change some of the intursion settings and now it seems to be working.  We will see!

Kudos0

Good luck - no matter what gyrations tech support led me through, after a few hours, computers startted dropping off the network again.  The only "fix" I found was to uninstall NAV 2009 & reinstall 2008.  This was after keeping me on the phone for five hours with tech support before anyone there admitted they have a problem with NAV 2009. 

Note the earlier post back in December where they say they're working on a patch, should be out in a few weeks, but as of Groundhog Day, nothing yet.

I got an extension on my 2008 license through May, but what do I do if it isn't fixed by then?  Can't wait for 2010, so will probably go back to another vender.  Thanks for all your help, Symantec!

Kudos1 Stats

Well looks like fred is correct.  After spending hours on this, the system worked for a few hours and is not back to its previous problems.  Disable norton and no problems. Could not get the tech guy to even acknowledge any problems.  NORTON ARE YOU LISTENING!!!! I HAVE USED YOUR PRODUCT FOR YEARS AND THIS IS NO WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER!

Kudos0

I have the same problems ...

Accessing files on the server sometimes freezes for moments or locks up completely the server, all clients are unable to access.

Server and all clients are Windows XP Pro + NIS 2009.

When the server locks up, it shows NO error messages in the logs,  but it denies all file operation requests. Seems als if the network adapter shuts down but VPN and remote access continue to work fine. To restore file access the server has to be shut down, it hangs in the shutdown process and has to be manually reset!

Had no problems befor installing NIS 2009.

Anyone home at Symantec ???

Kudos0

Has anyone looked into this particular hotfix from Microsoft?

KB895900

You cannot save a file from your Windows Server 2003-based, Windows XP-based, or Windows 2000-based computer to a shared folder on a file serve

KB 896427

After you install security update 885250 (MS05-011), you may not be able to view the contents of a subfolder on a network share by using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003  

KB   929483

Windows Firewall may drop the connection request when a host computer tries to connect to a client computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2

It might be that the fix is a Microsoft glitch that NAV is responding to rather than the reverse.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

It's my understanding that delphinium is somewhat correct, it's at least partially a MIcrosoft issue, but the fact remains that with NAV 09 installed and active, I have the problem; when it's disabled or replaced with another antivirus program (including NAV 2008) I don't have the problem.

This tell me that there's some incompatibility between NAV 2009 and my operating system (XP Professional, SP3)

After about five hours of complaining, Symantec gave me a one-month extension on my 2008 subscription.  Big deal!  It's looking less and less that any fix for NAV 2009 will be forthcocming, so unless 2010 is avalable when 2008 runs out, what do I do then?

Kudos0

Fred wrote:

[ ... ] it's at least partially a MIcrosoft issue, but the fact remains that with NAV 09 installed and active, I have the problem; when it's disabled or replaced with another antivirus program (including NAV 2008) I don't have the problem.

This tell me that there's some incompatibility between NAV 2009 and my operating system (XP Professional, SP3)

[ ... ]

I know it is very tempting to deduce that but sometimes the fix is not in the Norton product but elsewhere. I know this from personal experience last year with N360 V2 and Windows XP SP3. If you do a search on the N360 Forum here for [PowerDesk] you should find plenty of messages on this.

The symptoms were obvious -- upgrade to V2 and when you right mouse click in PowerDesk it crashed. Revert to V1 and no crash.

Microsoft naturally said it was Norton; Norton disagreed and did some checking and found the context menu problem; found a work around to change PowerDesk in the regisitry to zPowerdesk until Powerdesk wrote a fix which you can download from their website.

I'm noat trying to diminish your unhappiness but I learned from this experience not always to accept the obvious.

Hugh
Kudos0

KB895900 is not applicable in our case as it is for:

If you try to save a file to a shared folder on a Microsoft Windows 98-based, a Microsoft Windows 95-based, or an OS/2-based file server, you receive the following error message:

The folder folder name isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a / or \  KB 896427 : symptoms do not match. In our case the server is not reacheable at all from workstations.Windows Firewall is OFF because of troubles with VPN. We rely on the firewall in the router.Thanks for t he tips !
Kudos1 Stats

The symptoms do not match for our ofice either.  I have dedicated hours to resolving this issue, for which I will not be reimbursed. 

Doesn't matter where the 'glitch' lies, the product is Norton's. 

I do not have this issue with competing brands (McAfee and Kaspersky both work fine), so guess what my resolution will be when our license expires?

I have long been a proponent of NAV, and recommended it to many clients.  But based on my experience here, I will be shifting my loyalty to a company that is responsive to their clients.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.