• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NAV 2010 vs. NIS 2010 in terms of protection

If I take the firewall out of the equation, and don't care about flagging sites as safe or not or using safe searches, what ACTUAL extra protection that is important does NIS provide over NAV?

Is there any extra web PROTECTION provided by NIS or is it more informational?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV 2010 vs. NIS 2010 in terms of protection

Right on the main site. You bi-passed it on your way to get here.

NAV = stand alone anti virus

NIS = a complete suite

http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security

Kudos0

Hi ablatt

Here is a web link showing the different features of NIS, Norton 360 and NAV. This should help to provide answers for you.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

ablatt wrote:

If I take the firewall out of the equation, and don't care about flagging sites as safe or not or using safe searches, what ACTUAL extra protection that is important does NIS provide over NAV?

Norton Antivirus is right for you, then.

Kudos0

You are incorrect 3play. Any 3rd party firewall is better then Windows firewall. The added protection of NIS is well worth it.

Kudos0

I've looked at the product comparisons closely and even tried both NIS and NAV, although not directly visiting known malware sites.

I hear the Windows 7 (64-bit) firewall is decent and quite frankly I'm behind a basic router/firewall already.  So, rightly or wrongly, let's take the firewall out of the equation.  I also don't care about antispam because my mail servers filter already.  And, I keep track of passwords myself in a specific application.

I don't really care right now about seeing sites flagged as safe or not. 

So it really comes down to what extra real browser PROTECTION, not INFORMATION, that stuff in the Toolbar like Safe Web and Safe Search provide in NIS over NAV.  For example, will Safe Web prevent me from even loading an unsafe site?

Kudos0

ablatt wrote:

I've looked at the product comparisons closely and even tried both NIS and NAV, although not directly visiting known malware sites.

I hear the Windows 7 (64-bit) firewall is decent and quite frankly I'm behind a basic router/firewall already.  So, rightly or wrongly, let's take the firewall out of the equation.  I also don't care about antispam because my mail servers filter already.  And, I keep track of passwords myself in a specific application.

I don't really care right now about seeing sites flagged as safe or not. 

So it really comes down to what extra real browser PROTECTION, not INFORMATION, that stuff in the Toolbar like Safe Web and Safe Search provide in NIS over NAV.  For example, will Safe Web prevent me from even loading an unsafe site?

Hi ablatt

Accessing a dodgy web site is up to the user. Safeweb merely provides known informaton about the safety of sites and the rest is at the discretion of the user.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.