• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NAV2008 Activity Logs

First let me say that I know the long term answer is to get NIS, which I will. But in the sghort term, I'm hoping to get some clarity on an issue

Sometimes my Norton connection log will show 3 or 4 consecutive intances of   

an instance of c:windows\system32\rundll32.exe  is preparing to access  the internet.

Now this will be like 4-5 consecutive entries all about the same time maybe a second apart

Now I know that my windows Vista task manager will show 2 instances of rundll32.exe  and they are in system32

My defs are up to date. My full system scans (nightly) show nothing more than tracking cookies, and I periodically run a spybot and windows defender scan, none of which show any problems. Is it common sometimes to have 4 or 5 instances near the same time  preparing to access the internet?

Or does this not necessarily mean that 5 instances are preparing , but the same instance making 5 attemps?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NAV2008 Activity Logs

I notice that on my logs too, but just sometimes. Anyone else?
Kudos0

Hi,

This is fine and expected.  Rundll32 is used very much to launch various tasks.  Each time it does and the task involves network activity, you will get the log message.

/Chester 

Kudos0

thansk Chester. But so many at the same time followed by so many again less than a second later? Or is it that it is not 5 instances at the same time, but like a stutter? If that makes sense
Kudos0

Yes, it depends on what the OS is doing.  It could be doing various checks for Windows Updates, etc...
Kudos0

I notice taht it happens when a program goes out to the net, example Internet explorer or when Norton checks for up dates. But like I say, its concerning to have 5 at say 8:42:07 pm, then another 5 at 8:42:10pm within a second apart. Or am I confusing the fact that it says "an instance of... is preparing to access the internet"  with meaning that all 5 instances at teh same time are indeed separate instances. Or as I said is it 1 instance with a stutter (no offense to people who stutter, as I do myself)
Kudos0

It is hard to determine what is happening on your system.  Likely it's 5 separate instances of Rundll32.  If there were duplicates, we'd probably see them with other applications as well.  As I mentioned before, Rundll32 is used quite often by Windows to launch various tasks.  Perhaps you can keep task manager up and see if there are multiple Rundll32 processes at the time.

/Chester 

Kudos0

Thanks Chester. I actually have brought up task manager. And there it shows only two instances, tahts why i was wondering about the "stutter" aspect. Now I know in my browser there are like 4 dll type tings, like symantec intrusion protection

Kudos0

This sounds like a non-issue.  The processes can launch, do its tasks, then go away.  You will then not see it in Task Manager at the time.

Kudos0

sounds like I'm (once again) worried about nothing :)
Kudos0

No problem :)  Thank you for bringin up the issue.  We always appreciate the time & effort!

Thanks,

/Chester 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.