• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

The new Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe extension v2015.5.6.76.

I continued with Firefox 40 to avoid the problems between the later versions of FF and NTB/IS.

Today, Nov 4th, the new Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe extension v2015.5.6.76 downloaded itself in FF40 and I decided to click on Install button despite the FF warning message.

Fool that I am I believed as it is Norton it is not going to do damage is it?

It promptly overrode my home page setting and treated me to Norton Safe Search. I reset my home page to normal and opened a new blank tab. Up came Norton Safe Search again.

I checked the settings, switched off Safe Search, closed FF and restarted. Norton Safe Search had taken over and still came to life whenever a new tab was opened!

I went into Add-ons Manager and disabled the new extension. The toolbar disappeared, but still everything I try results in Safe Search taking over. It also seems to have disabled the normal right button click context menu ability in FF.

I went back into Add-ons Manager to uninstall the add-on, but can't do anything. It is behaving like MALWARE!

How do I kill it?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: The new Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe extension v2015.5.6.76.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

To get rid of the Norton Safe Search default, go to this Firefox help page and follow the instructions (carefully):- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/hide-or-display-sites-new-tab-page#w_show-a-blank-new-tab_2

Kudos0

Thanks Eric.

That was close to required solution.

The prefence was correct i.e. browser.newtab.url, but the value for the url string was of course the Norton Safesearch url, which I replaced with about:newtab.

It now behaves as it should.

Ian-J

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.