• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

new Pc & wants to install norton 360 but Norton internet has a trial version on it

Hi,

I just bought a new PC with Windows 7 and it is coming out of the box with a preinstalled version of   Norton Internet Security. I want to install my purchased version of Norton 360, I have 2 more installs left on it.  Do I need to de-install the Norton Internet Security first before I download the Norton 360?

Thanks,

Arlene

Replies

Kudos0

Re: new Pc & wants to install norton 360 but Norton internet has a trial version on it

Hi,

I just bought a new PC with Windows 7 and it is coming out of the box with a preinstalled version of   Norton Internet Security. I want to install my purchased version of Norton 360, I have 2 more installs left on it.  Do I need to de-install the Norton Internet Security first before I download the Norton 360?

Thanks,

Arlene

Kudos1 Stats

Re: new Pc & wants to install norton 360 but Norton internet has a trial version on it

Hi

Yes be sure to uninstall it from the controlpanel>add/remove programs

also run the removal tool twice

here`s the link to removal tool   http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Midou
Kudos1 Stats

atomilano,

Just a heads up, I just went thru the same thing with NSS (Comcast's version of Norton 360). 

Once installation is complete, open 360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates available". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates available" and then reboot one last time.  Your installation should now be up to date definition wise and ready for use.  It took ,me thru 4 reboots before it came back as being totally updated - I thought it was in a cycle that wouldnever end.
Kudos1 Stats

It is considered best to uninstall NIS before installing N360 although I have done an on top change since the first thing it does is in fact to uninstall NIS .... If you want to you could install it on top and if it doesn't work properly we can give you a cleanup tool that does more than uninstall ... it's up to you.

If you use the Identity Safe you can export the data file from one of your existing installations and then import it into your new installation on the new PC. Ask if you need any help.

As always with any major change do back up your personal data -- photos etc -- just in case .....

If your Norton 360 disk is not of the current V5 you are entited to a free upgrade which you an activate with your existing KEY. It may save a bit of the LiveUpdating referred to. We can give you a link to the current version in a file you can download and install.

Let us know if you have any questions ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi

I was able to uninstall NIS and install 360 v5. Everything seems to be ok. The start up and opening of IE8 was extremely slow at first, and I was worried since this was not happening out of the box without 360. With a few reboots now it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all of your help.

Arlene

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Glad all went well -- there's a lot of updating that invoves restarting after downloading as it updates bits of the system that work deep down inside Windows so are not easy to get at ... by malware or by updating!

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.