• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Nis 18.5 Italian upgrade failed.

Hi everyone,
yesterday Liveupdate downloaded a 22,5 MB patch that installed NIS 18.5 on my Win 7 32bit pc. Italian version.
The strange was that live update doesn't ask to reboot the pc after showed green mark check. In past upgrade, LU showed me two options: "reboot now" and "reboot later". Yesterday showed me only "OK".
However I rebooted the pc and the update failed without a message of error. Now I have in C:\Program files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\ two folder: 18.1 and 18.5
Today I run LiveUpdate but only downloaded me normal update like virus defs.
How to proceed?
Where I can donwload the full italian installer to version 18.5?
Thanks in advance for replies.
PS; I attach the last four log in C:\ProgramData\NortonInstaller\Logs

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Nis 18.5 Italian upgrade failed.

Hi everyone,
yesterday Liveupdate downloaded a 22,5 MB patch that installed NIS 18.5 on my Win 7 32bit pc. Italian version.
The strange was that live update doesn't ask to reboot the pc after showed green mark check. In past upgrade, LU showed me two options: "reboot now" and "reboot later". Yesterday showed me only "OK".
However I rebooted the pc and the update failed without a message of error. Now I have in C:\Program files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\ two folder: 18.1 and 18.5
Today I run LiveUpdate but only downloaded me normal update like virus defs.
How to proceed?
Where I can donwload the full italian installer to version 18.5?
Thanks in advance for replies.
PS; I attach the last four log in C:\ProgramData\NortonInstaller\Logs
Kudos0

Hi Axios,

Was everything working properly before the attempted live update?

It does sound like something is corrupted with the NIS installation. I would recommend uninstalling NIS and using the Norton removal tool per the procedure below.

If you use Identity Safe you should back up this data first. Please see this link for details on how to do this.

Before you use the removal tool, please download the full version of NIS 2011 from here. This is the Italian version you requested.

Once you have downloaded NIS, you can proceed with use of the removal tool as indicated below.

Please NOTE that this removes ALL Symantec products so be sure to have your license keys ready as you will need to reinstall all your Symantec software products. You can get your Norton product key from your Norton Account.

Once done please download the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec from this link.

For your protection, disconnect from the Internet before continuing.

Do a conventional uninstall of NIS via the Control Panel and then restart your computer.

Run the Norton Removal Tool and once it is completed, please reboot your computer. Once up please run the Removal Tool one more time and once again reboot.

Then please install NIS 2011 from the full version downloaded earlier. Once installed please reconnect back to the Internet and run Live Update repeatedly (rebooting as requested) until it reports there are no more updates.

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Thanks for the info.
The link provided to download NIS Italian still redirect to 18.1
However maybe I found the problem: in the folder C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\MUI\18.1.0.37\10\01 there are 43 files of the MUI, in C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\MUI\18.5.0.125\ the sub-folder 10\01 doesn't exist. I think that LU failed to create or extract the files about MUI.
Now because 18.1 seems to work perfectelly, I think that is better to wait for the full 18.5 installer. But I appreciate to have a Symantec confirm of my idea.
Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Hello Axios,

The 18.5 patch is currently released only to English customers. 

You may receive some of the patch in preparation for when the Italian release is available (such as engine updates, or other updates that aren't language specific). However, the patch will not apply until all pieces are received. 

We will update the announcement when the patch is available for all languages. 

Kudos0

Thanks for the quick reply.

I conclude that at this moment I can continue to use NIS 18.1 in total safety. Than in the coming days I will receive a (small) update that will create the missing files of MUI.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.