• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS 2007 Cannot open NIS User Interface + browsing issues

Hi

As of yesterday, I cannot open the NIS 2007 User interface from either Start Programs or from the system tray icon.  At the same time this has started to happen, I get a blank window when I open IE7 with no menu/icons or content that needs to be ended from Task Manager. Also Firefox has stopped working - opening gives only a background process without even an window.   Wierdly, other network/LAN tasks (eg browsing shares, pinging internet sites, p2p sharing etc) all seem to work.

I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates with Windows Firewall disabled.

(BTW - full system scan completed successfully 2 days ago with nothing found. Ran full scan yesterday using Ad-aware - clean execpt for some tracing cookies.)

Any ideas?

Richard

Message Edited by richard_mk on 05-14-2008 05:01 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2007 Cannot open NIS User Interface + browsing issues

Although I have solved this by doing a System Restore to 3 days ago (did not work in Normal mode - used Safe Mode), I don't know what caused it or whether it will happen again. So still interested in any ideas anyone may have
Kudos0

Had you installed anything, downloaded anything, changed anything on your system immediately prior to the NIS UI problems/browsing issues? Did you try scanning the system in Safe Mode?
Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

richard_mk wrote:
Although I have solved this by doing a System Restore to 3 days ago (did not work in Normal mode - used Safe Mode), I don't know what caused it or whether it will happen again. So still interested in any ideas anyone may have

Hi Richard

Please try uninstalling with the NRT tool, than install the 2008 version 

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Tony/Stu - thanks for yor input. I have now got the NIS2008 installed and working - will take your advice to scan in safe mode before system restore if this happens again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.