• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2009 crashed from Win XP and wouldn't un/re-install, been "Unprotected" since

My desktop running XP for some reason about 2-3 months ago somehow released my NIS2009 from it's thought process and I can't uninstall and re-install it. When it crashed for who knows why it also took my PCAnywhere 12.1 that was on it with it, so now I can't use my laptop to controll my desktop of which I couldn't get to work from outside my home network anyway but that is another thread. I would like to know how to get both programs back, I am in the process of getting it ready to be reformatted anyway But i still would like to be able to use the programs I payed for.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 crashed from Win XP and wouldn't un/re-install, been "Unprotected" since

My desktop running XP for some reason about 2-3 months ago somehow released my NIS2009 from it's thought process and I can't uninstall and re-install it. When it crashed for who knows why it also took my PCAnywhere 12.1 that was on it with it, so now I can't use my laptop to controll my desktop of which I couldn't get to work from outside my home network anyway but that is another thread. I would like to know how to get both programs back, I am in the process of getting it ready to be reformatted anyway But i still would like to be able to use the programs I payed for.
Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 crashed from Win XP and wouldn't un/re-install, been "Unprotected" since

Assuming you have a Norton account which should have the product keys stored for both programs, you should be able to download the trial versions, install them and then reactivate them using the keys.

PCAnywhere is here:http://www.symantec.com/business/pcanywhere

NIS2009 can be had here: http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norton/norton_com/nis09/

If there are any issues Customer Service will be able to help you with it.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs.

Let us know how it goes.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

I have the CD with the keys for it (in terms of NIS, The main concern, but when I uninstall it I have to reset, if i remember correctly, after I reset It says something about norton is already installed even thought I just uninstalled it.
Kudos0

Get norton removal tool, u can find easily just google it, run it and remove norton.

After restart ur comp will have no traces of norton, do a fresh install, update and activate it.

Hope this is a solution. 

----------------------------------------------------------------NIS 2011 beta 18.0.0.107 Win 7 7600 RTM 32-bit
Kudos0

You will need the Norton removal tools that are specific to your products and versions.  For instance if you have NIS 2009 you will need the 2009 version of the removal tool.  I'm not sure about PCanywhere, but it will probably work with the same tool.

Disconnect from the internet.

Use the NRT at least twice with reboots in between and then do a search for remaining Norton or Symantec files.

You should then be able to reinstall.  I'm not sure if there is a recommendation for the installation order.  Someone else may be able to advise.

You can then reconnect to the internet to activate the products and update.  The NIS2009 disc is likely to be quite far behind in updates.  You might be better served to use the link for the latest version as there were some fixes for problems included.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.