• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos2 Stats

NIS 2009 / Ghost 14.0

After installing Ghost 14.0, one of the options on the CD was "Run Update Locator".  Figuring this might be part of the installation process, I tried to run the Locator program.  Much to my surprise I received a message "No Valid Virus definitions have been found.  Try another computer with an up to date version of a Symantec AntiVirus Product".  I don't understand this because I am also running NIS 2009, that keeps all of it's parts, including the NAV program, up to date.  Why can't the Locator find the Virus Definitions?  Is the Locator actually looking for the Virus Definitions on my PC so they can be copied to an external device, so my PC can recover from a virus?

Just wondering?? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 / Ghost 14.0

After installing Ghost 14.0, one of the options on the CD was "Run Update Locator".  Figuring this might be part of the installation process, I tried to run the Locator program.  Much to my surprise I received a message "No Valid Virus definitions have been found.  Try another computer with an up to date version of a Symantec AntiVirus Product".  I don't understand this because I am also running NIS 2009, that keeps all of it's parts, including the NAV program, up to date.  Why can't the Locator find the Virus Definitions?  Is the Locator actually looking for the Virus Definitions on my PC so they can be copied to an external device, so my PC can recover from a virus?

Just wondering?? 

Kudos2 Stats

I can also confirm that 16.5.0.135 broke this part of Ghost 14.
Kudos1 Stats

The Virus Scan feature available in Symantec Recovery Environmenton is independant of the AntiVirus software installed on your computer. It enables you to scan your computer for virus before restoring a backup image. This is essential in those scenarios where you suspect that your computer is infected with virus and you cannot install any antivirus software.

The Symantec Recovery Disk contains a set of virus definitions which are used to scan the computer for virus. Using Update Locater, you can check if any new virus definitions are available. If not, you can still run the scan with available virus definitions.

Let me know if you need more information.

--Vinod

Kudos1 Stats

To clarify, the "Update Locator" is not a required part of the install process.  It is provided to users as a way of running a virus scan while booting to the Symantec Recovery Disk.  With the 2009 products, the location of the virus definitions folder that is installed is in a different location.  That's why you're getting the error.  What the locator does is identify the definitions of a 2008 or earlier product for use in a scan while in WinPE.  Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Kudos0

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that the Update Locator feature on the Ghost 14 cd that is bundled with NIS2009 does not work with NIS2009 or any 2009 product?

Is there a way around this to get updated definitions in the Update Locator folder using NIS 2009?

Kudos0

No, but you don't want to.  With NIS 2009 you can use an alternate tool.  The Norton Recovery Tool will use the 2009 definitions, and uses an updated scan engine.  I would recommend using that instead of the version in Ghost 14.  Ghost 14 was developed well before 2009 was and does not use the same scan engine.  You're better served by using the Norton Recovery Tool for your 2009 product instead.  If you need it, go to help and search for "Norton Recovery Tool" to get to the link to download the ISO. 

Kudos0

Erik, thanks, I did not know about the Norton Recovery Tool.  Great suggestion.
Kudos0

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I understand what was being said.  The recovery disc has a set of Virus Definitions on it, so if I need to restore my system, the recovery disc runs an initial Virus scan.  Makes sense..  Thanks again..

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.